Jump to content

Sky coverage this week


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What they don't understand, and can't yet is where the tipping point is. 

Sky is only valuable to me with RL on there. I'd be happy to adapt my viewing habits on other sports that are secondary to me, but I wouldn't pay a fortune to watch them when I can get highlights on terrestrial TV. 

But they don't know that - and the only way they can learn it is by sacking RL for a year and tracking the results. What customers tell them is worth zip. 

I reckon they could make a pretty good stab at it in aggregate, they have years of data around many sports and other services and the profile of their customers and ways of tracking and predicting consumer behaviour.

Whenever we've tossed around the numbers on here, we usually come to the conclusion that Sky price Superleague about right, reflecting the lost revenues they'd incur if they dropped it completely.  

What we want them to do of course, is not just treat us like a maintenance project, but actually invest a bit more in the hope of increased revenues all round. In fact they did it in 2014 but we didn't deliver.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites


10 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I reckon they could make a pretty good stab at it in aggregate, they have years of data around many sports and other services and the profile of their customers and ways of tracking and predicting consumer behaviour.

Whenever we've tossed around the numbers on here, we usually come to the conclusion that Sky price Superleague about right, reflecting the lost revenues they'd incur if they dropped it completely.  

What we want them to do of course, is not just treat us like a maintenance project, but actually invest a bit more in the hope of increased revenues all round. In fact they did it in 2014 but we didn't deliver.   

They will certainly have estimates around this kind of thing, but as they've never done what we are talking about, it'll be difficult to accurately predict. But in reality we are probably talking low tens of thousands, which is probably the level of planning that they need, they probably don't need to be too much more scientific than that in reality. 

But if you looked at my subscription history and viewing patterns, there is nothing that would tell them that if SL went, I go. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Dave T said:

They will certainly have estimates around this kind of thing, but as they've never done what we are talking about, it'll be difficult to accurately predict. But in reality we are probably talking low tens of thousands, which is probably the level of planning that they need, they probably don't need to be too much more scientific than that in reality. 

But if you looked at my subscription history and viewing patterns, there is nothing that would tell them that if SL went, I go. 

They would notice that you seemed more engaged with the relegation battle middle 8s in 2017 than the race for the SL. 

Edited by Scubby
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

OMG, that's amazing. Basically every match of every mainstream Aussie sport, plus more, for £15 a month. Why can't we have that? I'd sign up in a flash. Frankly even if that's a loss-leader price, I pay more than twice that for NOWTV and don't get that much.

Our market is thoroughly distorted by the Premier League.

  • Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Our market is thoroughly distorted by the Premier League.

Genuinely, there should be a competition enquiry into this. Sky should be made to have a "everything but premiership" package, which would be half the price, but loads would subscribe too. Even the U.S. sports TV market isn't this distorted by a single sport.    Hurumph!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Our market is thoroughly distorted by the Premier League.

Sky would lose so much latent subscribers that it would harm their model. Sports like RL, Darts, Boxing are seen as an add on to Premier and Championship football. Their job is to see how efficiently they can secure rights for sports like that and the hook fans of those sports into paying a premium for football they don't watch.

Football - daylight - the rest.

Edited by Scubby
typo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

OMG, that's amazing. Basically every match of every mainstream Aussie sport, plus more, for £15 a month. Why can't we have that? I'd sign up in a flash. Frankly even if that's a loss-leader price, I pay more than twice that for NOWTV and don't get that much.

Yes it's mad......I guess it's a numbers game.....if we could get a lot of subscribers it could be cheaper but too few and it's more expensive 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suspect one of the things about the NRL rights are that 3 games per week are shown on terrestrial TV I believe, so many fans could get their RL fix without paying anything, so the price probably couldn't be too 'premium' 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Point to note here, but Salford vs Wigan isn't on Sky Sports Main Event, but T20 Sussex vs Gloucestershire is...

If ever there was a sign for why not being seen as a regional past time was important.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Point to note here, but Salford vs Wigan isn't on Sky Sports Main Event, but T20 Sussex vs Gloucestershire is...

If ever there was a sign for why not being seen as a regional past time was important.

Exactly ☹️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People always underestimate their value to Sky. The only reason I got Sky is because of RL and despite watching other sports it’s still the main reason I have it. We pay sky well over £100 a month add to that I have Skybet and Sky poker through this connection. If there was a quality RL dedicated channel im not even sure how much I’d be prepared to pay. 
 

A channel that had something like this would be able to charge a very good price. 

Live SL games plus highlight/magazine shows. Maybe something like Sky do with individual players like the 100 club.

Live NRL games plus highlights and other shows. 

Championship and league one games and highlight shows. 

WSL games

internationals

A key to any dedicated channel though would be having access to the BBC archives for classic games. Which would be especially important in the off season. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the number of people who want something for nothing - those who moan about ticket prices or how much Premier cost and look for discount codes - how many would be willing to pay what is needed to make a service happen?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

With the number of people who want something for nothing - those who moan about ticket prices or how much Premier cost and look for discount codes - how many would be willing to pay what is needed to make a service happen?

 

About 12 people 🙄

 

Anyone thinking “Sky would not dare to lose Rugby League, they need us” I would immediately refer to the latest TV deal we just signed with them.  Only 2 years, 40(forty) % REDUCTION.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

I am thinking of coming off Sky and just going to NowTV instead. I have been sent a screen shot that shows that NRL games are available to view in full, on catch up, but the screen shot only showed SL game highlights. Does anyone know if that is indeed all that's available on NowTV catch up? (I am usually asleep for the second half of the Friday night games and watch them on Saturday morning! So I need to know if I can time-shift them before making this change.)

 

Thanks for any advice - unless it's "Try and stay awake." I do!

 

Phillip

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...