1 hour ago, Young Blood said:

How is the game received by the general public can you see it getting a little mention in media like radio or newspapers? On average what's the crowd size. Do you see any potential for Netherlands making World Cup 2025? Be great if Papenhuyzen and Nikorima brothers play for you, are there nay other eligible Dutch NRL players. 

Just really curious on the state of game over there. 

As grassroots as grassroots can be.

Family and friends make up the crowds. 

Social media presence is growing and provincial teams like Harderwijk and Zwolle do sometimes make the local press. 

The big city teams Den Haag,Amsterdam and Rotterdam can't compete for press inches with soccer, hockey and Max Verstappen dominating.

Standard of play is rising but its still only around the lower divisions of local leagues back home .

Even the National team would not compete with top sides from say the NW Counties or CARLA leagues and that's not being disrespectful to the work being done but an honest opinion.

World Cup !!!

Unless you find another 20 Dutch heritage players... no chance.

But steady progress us being made and I would still class the Dutch as one of the top four or five development nations on the continent. 

Edited by yanto
  • Like 3

On 03/07/2022 at 20:45, yanto said:

Social media presence is growing and provincial teams like Harderwijk and Zwolle do sometimes make the local press. 

The big city teams Den Haag,Amsterdam and Rotterdam can't compete for press inches with soccer, hockey and Max Verstappen dominating.

Standard of play is rising but its still only around the lower divisions of local leagues back home .

Even the National team would not compete with top sides from say the NW Counties or CARLA leagues and that's not being disrespectful to the work being done but an honest opinion.

World Cup !!!

But steady progress us being made and I would still class the Dutch as one of the top four or five development nations on the continent. 

Sounds promising, what do you think needs to be done to grow the game. 

In 10 years can you see the Dutch making World Cup and producing pro players? 

I've seen a couple of their posts pop up on social media, and their content looks pretty good - nice to have timely information about results & league tables. I know it's a small thing, but if you're trying to build a following, people need to know what's going on!

Their graphics look good and have all the info - both in terms of a regularly updated league table but also an explainer of their playoff system (which also seems to be updated whenever a qualifier is confirmed).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Young Blood said:

Sounds promising, what do you think needs to be done to grow the game. 

In 10 years can you see the Dutch making World Cup and producing pro players? 

Serbia have been at it longer and with more clubs and players and they are still light years away from a WC spot, even a decade hence.

• Like 1

Minor final play offs.

Zwolle Wolves 32

Amsterdam Cobras 20.

Harderwijk Dolphins 20

Rotterdam Pitbulls 22

Grand Final is now Den Haag Knights v new comers in their first full season Zwolle Wolves.

Amsterdam will play Rotterdam Pitbulls for third after the Pitbulls won 20-22 today in Harderwijk.

Nice season here in Holland.

• Like 1

Heartache again for Den Haag Knights. 

Six minor premiers six Grand Finals but cant seem to take their league form into the play offs.

Winners three years ago before the covid lock down,lost by golden point to Amsterdam4 years ago,lost to a last minute try and conversion to Rotterdam 5 years ago.

Today the Knights came back from 8-26 v Zwolle Wolves to lead 28-26 with three minutes on the clock.

It looked like fortune was finally on their side.

BUT Wolves had other ideas and scored a try with the LAST play of the game deep into injury time to snatch the trophy from the Knights once again.

Conversion completed leaving a final score of DH Knights 28 Zwolle Wolves 32.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/07/2022 at 12:45, yanto said:

World Cup !!!

I have a big soft spot for Holland from my pirate radio days off Scheveningen LOL:) Plenty of potential there we have been to Harlingen 2 times for weekend breaks this summer the last one in June combined with the Cricket Nederlands v England in Amsteen:)

GOOD LUCK 

Paul

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 1

On 29/08/2022 at 13:39, ATLANTISMAN said:

I have a big soft spot for Holland from my pirate radio days off Scheveningen LOL:) Plenty of potential there we have been to Harlingen 2 times for weekend breaks this summer the last one in June combined with the Cricket Nederlands v England in Amsteen:)

GOOD LUCK 

Paul

And why is the pronunciation of Scheveningen famous?

(Which I do well according to my old Dutch tutor!)

• Haha 1