John Kear is on the money

1 minute ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Probably but I’ll never read that toilet paper. Care to paraphrase ?

International RL is important to grow the game and get non RL fans to taste and watch the sport...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Didnt know his brother lived in Salop. Yeah it is a no brainer from a tv audience and figures standpoint but unless someone comes up with cash for 3rd european nation i guess World cup and England doing annual test against france is height of hopes for now.  

their upon lies the pragmatic problem... if no major teams outside of WC will play often enough here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

International RL is important to grow the game and get non RL fans to taste and watch the sport...

The annoying thing is this is the message that’s been coming from anyone in the game with common. Sense for 30+ years . The people at the top have done a great disservice to the game .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Performances indicators were met, all bar holding the ball close to France’s line..

...and apart from scoring more points than France, that is.😊

In my view,  he's right about Internationals, but he's not saying anything new or controversial.  

Just a shame that the paying spectators don't seem to agree.

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Performances indicators were met, all bar holding the ball close to France’s line..

...and apart from scoring more points than France, that is.😊

In my view,  he's right about Internationals, but he's not saying anything new or controversial.  

if your last sentence is accurate then one has to wonder if international is the answer we all think it is...

or I guess it depends upon which countries are involved in the internationals

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

if your last sentence is accurate then one has to wonder if international is the answer we all think it is...

or I guess it depends upon which countries are involved in the internationals

its based on (my view of) attendances over many years. Might be different (as was proven 30 plus years ago in the late 1980s early 1990s when we thought we had a chance) if the games really meant something major to play for, as with SOO, rather than glorified friendlies in the WC run-up. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

Wales, Italy, France and Ireland all seemed to get decent paying attendances for men's and women's internationals over the past couple of weeks.

25,000 turning up for New Zealand v Tonga.

The only one bucking the trend is England playing a made-up opponent.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

We cobble these games together at last minute as stand off games and no knowledge.  I had booked holidays by time I knew Wales were hopping to France or would have gone.  

England didnt play an international.  What I dont get is why we didnt move our international window to this weekend and invite over a pacific team to play England like a PNG.  

World cup has to be a success but games England have next year in June vs France or end of season 2023 test series vs Kiwis needs to be announced in that World Cup for maximum chance of it working. 

And if we do get a test series in 2023 dont play them all in the north. One bk at Spurs or Emirates,  sell it out. 

Play it at Milton Keynes 

18 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Actually think south hemisphere will be fine without us.  Oceanic cup is perfect for NRL.  They have SOO then three autumn internationals going forward.  They dont need England.  

That's true to an extent but you'd think they see we are a massive potential market missed (in both England and France) 

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

I dont think the NRL wants it out of their back yard tbh. They don´t want RFL to die but just above life support is fine. If France got to a level where they would lose but not be battered they might consider a genuine four nations style event. But Tonga is getting 25k vs Kiwis. Aus vs Kiwi will sell well, I mean they have a different timezone too so tv rights aren´t as huge for games here. 

No but the potential for lots of money to be made is there 

A direct parallel is rugby union having tours here from Aus, NZ  etc.... They make a fortune 

I know currently it might be not make a fortune but surely aspire to it?

• Like 2