Removal of salary cap

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

(1) Make your mind up, one minute you are complaining about getting less funding then the next trying to argue more funding won't make a difference.

There are plenty of examples of clubs coming up and either staying up or making a good fist of it as is. Toulouse are absolutely in the mix when it comes to staying up, London have performed admirably in the past with much the same team on a shoestring budget. Other clubs have stayed up.

We need to be careful not to make kneejerk decisions about P&R because I'm not sure it's this insurmountable problem. History shows it isn't. Those that have prepared and planned have tended to do okay. Those that have made rash decisions and never built sustainably have tended to perform poorly in SL as a result.

(1) Are you struggling? When apart from Leigh getting a reduction from everyone else have I complained, as I said at the time, I would have let SL take the wrath of Sky in not being able to keep to the contract.

(2) How far do you want to go back? Only KR since 15 when Licencing was dropped have acheived it in '18, before that the funding was nowhere near what we have today.

(3) Again how far are you going back to substansiate your argument?

14 minutes ago, RP London said:

I dont overly agree with that. I think a cap can be used nicely to make clubs do things. However, that has to be balanced with the fact the cap has to be sensible in the first place and that any "fiddling" with it is done at the right levels ie you never stop lower level players from getting a good wage etc. 

IIRC Other sports use the cap (if they have one) to promote ideals and to punish those that fall below them.

So your ideal cap is not one size fits all, in it's present format some clubs do appreciably better than others, is that fair?

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

So your ideal cap is not one size fits all, in it's present format some clubs do appreciably better than others, is that fair?

Yes, because you are making all teams do the same things. If a club decides it doesnt want to do something then you say ok so your cap now stands at x.. therefore you cannot just save money by not doing something and spend it on players salaries.. every club should need to do the same things and when they do they get the same cap spend.. I believe that is the very definition of fair.. 

edit: sorry the top bit just covered the first part of your question of the one size not fitting all being fair. 

in answer to the other bit.. What exactly do you mean? I have already said where I think there are failings in the current cap. The Marquee signing dispensation is there because people want to be able to spend their own money and this is a nod to a "no cap" cap to allow that.. everyone can do it if they want. If you are talking of the academy dispensation then i think that is a good thing and is one of the things I am talking about, however, all clubs should be allowed an academy (as long as it  meets certain criteria and is a proper academy). This is one of the other points I made, it has to be sensibly done. 

This is where are strong governing body is needed to police this type of thing. We are talking though of whether you do or dont scrap the cap. If you do scrap the cap then where is the money going to get spent? does it solve the issues people have about the cap (including fairness)... no. so fix the cap issues and IMHO this is how you can do it, it needs to start as level then it can be tweaked from there but teams need to have an equal ability to do the things that they would get punished for not doing. Teams may take time to get to those stages but the cap focuses the mind to spend the money in the places that benefit in the long term rather than the short term.

Edited by RP London