The World Cup

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I would have loved to see Tommy Makinson in the NRL, Walmsleys left that to late 33 next.

But for one moment just consider if it was a select NRL team not just those who have elected to play for Aus how many of our lads would grace that?

I think all the names I mentioned would go well. One or two of them could easily make a select team.

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Anyone fancy having a crack at the strongest Samoan 17 now that a few have committed to them.  My guess is that there will be some very strong positions but some key weaknesses as well, particularly in the spine positions where the Aussies are still miles ahead of the rest (perhaps with the exception of the Kiwis).

This is the team from the nrl 360

1 Joseph Suaali'i

2 Brian To'o

3 Stephen Crichton

4 Izack Tago

5 Tylan May

6 Jarome Luai

7 Anthony Milford

8 Junior Paulo

9 Fa'amanu Brown (I would've had Danny Levi)

10 Josh Papali'i

11 Luciano Leilua

12 Jayd'n Sua

13 Josh Aloiai

14 Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow

15 Francis Molo

16 Marty Taupau

17 Raymond Faitala-Mariner

Personally I would've put Royce Hunt over Molo but that's a solid team with decent and not terrible halves who can do the job

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, that is poor.

On the page you quote, the semis are Q1 winner vs. Q2 winner and Q3 winner vs. Q4 winner.

Yet on other official publications it is Q2 vs Q4 and Q1 vs. Q3

Like here: 

Yes not a great look to have two sets of info floating around, as alluded to by Jim and Barley above I think I've checked it half a dozen times over the last few years and that chart reflects the actual structure.

2 minutes ago, Mojo said:

1 Joseph Suaali'i

2 Brian To'o

3 Stephen Crichton

4 Izack Tago

5 Tylan May

6 Jarome Luai

7 Anthony Milford

8 Junior Paulo

10 Josh Papali'i

11 Luciano Leilua

12 Jayd'n Sua

13 Josh Aloiai

14 Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow

15 Francis Molo

16 Marty Taupau

Personally I would've put Royce Hunt over Molo but that's a solid team with decent and not terrible halves who can do the job

Its a very decent team, but the bench doesn't bode well for a team not bursting with 80min efforts

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

1 minute ago, Mojo said:

1 Joseph Suaali'i

2 Brian To'o

3 Stephen Crichton

4 Izack Tago

5 Tylan May

6 Jarome Luai

7 Anthony Milford

8 Junior Paulo

10 Josh Papali'i

11 Luciano Leilua

12 Jayd'n Sua

13 Josh Aloiai

14 Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow

15 Francis Molo

16 Marty Taupau

I agree with you on Hunt over Molo but apart from that I think it's a relatively accurate first 17, I probably wouldn't carry HTF on the bench - I think you'd want someone to spell Brown, either Levi if fit or another CHT/Tevaga/May who can cover more positions than the outside backs.

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Anyone fancy having a crack at the strongest Samoan 17 now that a few have committed to them.  My guess is that there will be some very strong positions but some key weaknesses as well, particularly in the spine positions where the Aussies are still miles ahead of the rest (perhaps with the exception of the Kiwis).

1- Suaalii

2- May

3- Tago

4- Crichton

5- To’o

6- Luai

7- Milford

8- Papalii

9-Lino

10-Paulo

11-Tuilagi

12-Su’a

13- Aloiai

14-Brown

15-Leilua

16-Taupau

17-Leniu

Molo is unlucky to miss out

I’ve chucked Lino at 9, I know he’s never played there but with Levi injured he is probably there best option. You wouldn’t want to have to rely on brown for a full 80 minutes. + he is one of the best goal kickers in the world maybe even the best.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, UTK said:

I agree with you on Hunt over Molo but apart from that I think it's a relatively accurate first 17, I probably wouldn't carry HTF on the bench - I think you'd want someone to spell Brown, either Levi if fit or another CHT/Tevaga/May who can cover more positions than the outside backs.

Tevaga is injured, Tuilagi Definitely deserves to be there he’s been one of the tigers best this season.

1 minute ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Tevaga is injured, Tuilagi Definitely deserves to be there he’s been one of the tigers best this season.

That's a relatively low bar we're setting, I don't mind him and he's actually Samoan-born but I can't see him leapfrogging any of Su'a, Leilua or RFM for the first 17. Probably next drop edge so might make the 24-man squad.

11 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Its a very decent team, but the bench doesn't bode well for a team not bursting with 80min efforts

The bench are impact players. Of course they won't play 80 mins. I would put Spencer Leniu there. He's been the best impact prop all year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I agree Tuilagi at the tigers reminds me a bit of kikau with the way he plays. He was performing well at the start but than fell off a bit towards the end of the season. If they put him on that left edge and let him run off Luai he could go very well

1 minute ago, Mojo said:

The bench are impact players. Of course they won't play 80 mins. I would put Spencer Leniu there. He's been the best impact prop all year.

Thats my point. The starting front row could be argued as impact players, too; I wouldnt say playing 80 minutes is their strength.. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

7 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Thats my point. The starting front row could be argued as impact players, too; I wouldnt say playing 80 minutes is their strength.. 

What do you mean? Front rows don't play 80mins. Every teams front rows rotate off the bench

2 minutes ago, Mojo said:

What do you mean? Front rows don't play 80mins. Every teams front rows rotate off the bench

Because the bench isn't great, they'd need Paolo and Papali to play longer minutes. This goes against their strength as players. 

A better bench would give you more confidence in a more proactive rotation rather than hanging on at times which they'll likely have to do against the better teams.

10 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Because the bench isn't great, they'd need Paolo and Papali to play longer minutes. This goes against their strength as players. 

A better bench would give you more confidence in a more proactive rotation rather than hanging on at times which they'll likely have to do against the better teams.

Spencer Leniu comes off the bench for the Kiwis front rows Fisher Harris and Leota with no problem.

Royce Hunt starts for the sharks and plays decent minutes every game.

Martin Taupau come off the bench and starts some games for Manly by also playing decent minutes. 

Raymond Faitala-Mariner plays 80mins every game for the Buldogs.

I mean these are NRL players who plays with the best and plays at a high level too.

• Like 1

Just now, Mojo said:

Spencer Leniu comes off the bench for the Kiwis front rows Fisher Harris and Leota with no problem.

Royce Hunt starts for the sharks and plays decent minutes every game.

Martin Taupau come off the bench and starts some games for Manly by also playing decent minutes. 

Raymond Faitala-Mariner plays 80mins every game for the Buldogs.

I mean these are NRL players who plays with the best and plays at a high level too.

Lets see how they get on...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That is a very big call Standoff.

Which one or two of our lads do you think could 'easily' get into a select NRL team?

I'm kind of re-treading water here, but I feel players like Makinson, Farnworth, Tom Burgess would be in that sort of company.

Let's just say I think they are outstanding rep standard players.

56 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

1- Suaalii

2- May

3- Tago

4- Crichton

5- To’o

6- Luai

7- Milford

8- Papalii

9-Lino

10-Paulo

11-Tuilagi

12-Su’a

13- Aloiai

14-Brown

15-Leilua

16-Taupau

17-Leniu

Molo is unlucky to miss out

I’ve chucked Lino at 9, I know he’s never played there but with Levi injured he is probably there best option. You wouldn’t want to have to rely on brown for a full 80 minutes. + he is one of the best goal kickers in the world maybe even the best.

This is where the weaknesses of Samoa start to get exposed.

That spine is very questionable.  In my view Luai benefits massively from playing alongside Cleary who provides structure and superbly consistent kicking game.  That is something that Milford just doesn't offer - consistency.  That halves combination just doesn't work together for me as neither is able to manage a game and provide a world class kicking game.

Throw in a novice full back and a 9 who doesn't play there in club rugby and it just doesn't look like a spine that is providing enough to get Samoa to the top of the world game.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

That spine is very questionable.  In my view Luai benefits massively from playing alongside Cleary who provides structure and superbly consistent kicking game.  That is something that Milford just doesn't offer - consistency.  That halves combination just doesn't work together for me as neither is able to manage a game and provide a world class kicking game.

Throw in a novice full back and a 9 who doesn't play there in club rugby and it just doesn't look like a spine that is providing enough to get Samoa to the top of the world game.

Yeah I definitely agree, Suaalii is not a fullback he reminds of Israel Folau and I think him wanting to play fullback is entirely based on him being a selfish teenager and wanting more ball. Luai Is good but millford isn’t consistent  enough, plus Samoa do not have a good genuine 9. Other than some talented/Flashy outside backs and a solid front row I don’t rate this Samoan team too much. Not to mention there back row is incredibly weak.

I’ve said this several times before England have a complete team with little to no weaknesses whilst Samoa are filled with inconsistencies. The more and more I look at that Samoan team the less impressed I am but I could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

To be fair anyone playing next to Cleary would be getting a opinion  like that. And you can't compare milford to Cleary. Cleary is head and shoulders above anyone right now. Luai in his case would've learnt alot off Cleary and he'll definitely pass it on to them. If Luai was English you guys would've been praising him as one of the best. Milford is solid, you guys said Lino is good because he's performing well in the SL but let's be honest if Milford played in the SL he probably would've had a chance to win the golden boot. Tongan spine of Hopoate/Lolohea/Hingano beat Teddy/DCE/Munster/Cook. So anything is possible

TOA SAMOA - My 17, or something like it:

1- The Hammer

2- Suaalii/May/Nofoaluma

3- Whiskey Tago Foxtrot

4- Crichton

5- To’o

6- Luai

7- Lino

8- Hunt

9-Levi

10-Paulo

11-Leilua

12-Su’a

13- Aloiai

14-The Milf

15-Papalii

16-Taupau

17-Leniu

Edited by StandOffHalf

3 minutes ago, Mojo said:

To be fair anyone playing next to Cleary would be getting a opinion  like that. And you can't compare milford to Cleary. Cleary is head and shoulders above anyone right now. Luai in his case would've learnt alot off Cleary and he'll definitely pass it on to them. If Luai was English you guys would've been praising him as one of the best. Milford is solid, you guys said Lino is good because he's performing well in the SL but let's be honest if Milford played in the SL he probably would've had a chance to win the golden boot. Tongan spine of Hopoate/Lolohea/Hingano beat Teddy/DCE/Munster/Cook. So anything is possible

I'm not interested in these 'if he was English' or if he was in Super League' arguments.  They are just not relevant.

Let's just have a sensible conversation about the merits of each player.

In my opinion the best halves combinations complement each other and Milford / Luai don't do that and I think you just don't get enough game management from this combination.

The point about the Tongan spine beating Australia is a fair one and shows that this world cup is very competitive despite the Kangaroos having the best spine of all the nations.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I'm not interested in these 'if he was English' or if he was in Super League' arguments.  They are just not relevant.

Let's just have a sensible conversation about the merits of each player.

In my opinion the best halves combinations complement each other and Milford / Luai don't do that and I think you just don't get enough game management from this combination.

The point about the Tongan spine beating Australia is a fair one and shows that this world cup is very competitive despite the Kangaroos having the best spine of all the nations.

My bad on the first part. Milford and Luai have played well for samoa everytime. Chanel Harris-Tevita played with milford in the halves a couple of years ago with Luai at hooker and they all pretty much set up most of the tries in that game. So in the samoan jersey they click well and the already have combination. Milfords kicking game is a bit underrated. You can tell he's the leader in that team and does a pretty good job. All this talk will be done in a couple of weeks and I can't wait

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mojo said:

Paul kent having the biggest cry on nrl 360 about Suali'i playing for samoa over Australia is classic 😂😂😂

It’s a debate that needs to be had though because however good the end result in terms of the competitiveness of the WC , the whole area of eligibility needs sorting and clarifying as it can’t be right to have everyone guessing until basically the last minute about who’s playing where . And how Origin fits in to it all . If I was Big Mal for instance I wouldn’t be happy either .