The World Cup

I know there’s threads around the World Cup but as we get nearer I thought it was useful to have one on the squads themselves and talk around players and selection. 
Just to begin I was reading an article by Big Mal who said hooker was his hardest pick …

Meninga plans to name two out of Harry Grant (Melbourne), Ben Hunt (St George Illawarra), Damien Cook (South Sydney), Api Koroisau (Penrith) and Reece Robson (North Queensland) in his squad of 24 for the World Cup in England in October. 

Edited by DavidM

While he is a good player, I would say that Reece Robson is the outside bet from this list.

As out and out hookers you would think Cook and Grant are the two to pick but Hunt's versatility makes him a perfect squad player.

I would really like to see Api Koroisau play for Fiji in the World Cup as I want all nations to be as strong as possible.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Australia would be very short odds to run the same rotation as QLD, Hunt starts at 9 with Grant off the bench. 

Grant isn't really an elite defensive hooker and when fatigued becomes a liability but coming off the bench he's dynamite, Hunt is just too good a player to leave out of the side. 

My biggest question for Australia is our edge backrowers - I think Murray will be nailed on for one edge with Yeo starting at lock but no one has really stamped their authority on the other edge. Nanai will make the 24-man squad but I don't think he's ready to start in the Kangaroos side, other options who played Origin would be Capewell, Crichton, Martin and Gilbert but those guys are either having mixed seasons or aren't really superstars. There's a few that didn't play Origin and probably should still be considered but this is certainly an area we don't really stand out in, particularly if Murray or Yeo gets injured before the WC.

1 minute ago, UTK said:

Australia would be very short odds to run the same rotation as QLD, Hunt starts at 9 with Grant off the bench. 

Grant isn't really an elite defensive hooker and when fatigued becomes a liability but coming off the bench he's dynamite, Hunt is just too good a player to leave out of the side. 

My biggest question for Australia is our edge backrowers - I think Murray will be nailed on for one edge with Yeo starting at lock but no one has really stamped their authority on the other edge. Nanai will make the 24-man squad but I don't think he's ready to start in the Kangaroos side, other options who played Origin would be Capewell, Crichton, Martin and Gilbert but those guys are either having mixed seasons or aren't really superstars. There's a few that didn't play Origin and probably should still be considered but this is certainly an area we don't really stand out in, particularly if Murray or Yeo gets injured before the WC.

I like Crichton

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

If I had to second guess Big Mal I’d say he’d stick with the Grant / Hunt combination 

Works for Queensland and, you know, SOO is the pinnacle and all that....

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

31 minutes ago, UTK said:

Hudson Young Is a shout, maybe Frizell if he wants a more experienced player.

7 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Hudson Young Is a shout, maybe Frizell if he wants a more experienced player.

Hudson Young is definitely one of those who didn't play Origin who should be considered, Shaun Lane another. 

As a Knights fan I wouldn't put Frizell in the frame at the moment, understand the experience angle but think his form hasn't really warranted selection so far.

Just now, UTK said:

Hudson Young is definitely one of those who didn't play Origin who should be considered, Shaun Lane another. 

As a Knights fan I wouldn't put Frizell in the frame at the moment, understand the experience angle but think his form hasn't really warranted selection so far.

Fifita And Fermor are also shouts if he they keep up the great form.

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

He'd probably have to pay his own way and wash his own kit.

Why is Kevin Tamati the Welsh coach?

I thought it was John Kear or is he France's coach?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 minute ago, MattSantos said:

If either get picked for Australia, i'd laugh for about 3 weeks.

Wdym Hudson Young Is on the most in form back rowers in the nrl and Mal Meninga said he has massive chance to make the side. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he makes it (And He’s Raider so Mal Probably Loves Him)

1 minute ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Wdym Hudson Young Is on the most in form back rowers in the nrl and Mal Meninga said he has massive chance to make the side. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he makes it (And He’s Raider so Mal Probably Loves Him)

Martin, Kaufisi, Capewell, Murray, Matterson, Nanai, Crichton, Arrow are all better Aussie edge back rowers.

At 13, you'd have Yeo, Cotter, Carrigan, and Jack T. 

As i said, i hope both are picked as i'd laugh for 3 weeks and England would have significantly more chance of winning if Meninga goes all weird.

• Haha 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

4 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Martin, Kaufisi, Capewell, Murray, Matterson, Nanai, Crichton, Arrow are all better Aussie edge back rowers.

As i said, i hope both are picked as i'd laugh for 3 weeks and England would have significantly more chance of winning if Meninga goes all weird.

All these defections will have spooked him for sure. He could well go rogue trying to pick 'Aussie' characters instead of the best options.

6 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Young has been head and shoulders above most on that list this year despite playing in a much worse team than all of them, certainly Martin, Kaufusi (elected for Tonga anyway), Arrow and probably Capewell, Matterson also isn't an edge anymore.

Nonetheless I don't think any of the big nations will be scared of Australia's forward pack, defections have hurt our depth and other nations have the best forwards in the game at the moment. The spine is really the only place I would say Australia remains the strongest.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I know there’s threads around the World Cup but as we get nearer I thought it was useful to have one on the squads themselves and talk around players and selection. 
Just to begin I was reading an article by Big Mal who said hooker was his hardest pick …

Meninga plans to name two out of Harry Grant (Melbourne), Ben Hunt (St George Illawarra), Damien Cook (South Sydney), Api Koroisau (Penrith) and Reece Robson (North Queensland) in his squad of 24 for the World Cup in England in October. 

Only player that would really worry me in that list is Koroisau. The rest are fairly average. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, UTK said:

Young has been head and shoulders above most on that list this year despite playing in a much worse team than all of them, certainly Martin, Kaufusi (elected for Tonga anyway), Arrow and probably Capewell, Matterson also isn't an edge anymore.

Nonetheless I don't think any of the big nations will be scared of Australia's forward pack, defections have hurt our depth and other nations have the best forwards in the game at the moment. The spine is really the only place I would say Australia remains the strongest.

Was Young injured during origin? All of those players i mentioned played edge during origin.

Agree on your spine, especially at 1, 9 and 13. Depends on the selections at 6 and 7.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Only player that would really worry me in that list is Koroisau. The rest are fairly average. 

I dont think Cook is as good as he once was, but Grant is a brilliant 9 and yes, with Koroisau as a potential 14, that would be worrying.