NEW TOURNEMNT IDEA ...ere we go...

So, we all know that the game needs re-invigorating ,the fan base needs broadening and media attention has to be increased. One simple answer to this is a better international scene. Which we all want but sadly can’t rely on. Whilst we should definitely be striving to improve the international calendar, I believe that we’re now in a situation where we need to do something else – Something that we can do off our own backs.

So, here’s a suggestion that I want to put to the forum… A small franchise-based tournament that could happen either at the end of the season, or at set points throughout it.  Think cricket’s ‘Hundred’ meets unions ‘Six Nations’ with a splash of  ‘State of Origin’

THE (INSERT SPONSOR NAME HERE) CROWN

5 teams that each represent a large passionate geographical location/ group of people, play each other once. Research needs to be done on what teams the wider public would be drawn to supporting. But for now, imagine something like….

NORTHWEST POWER

Taking in Greater Manchester, Lancs and Cheshire

NORTH LAND RAMS

Cumber’land’, West Mor’land’, Northumber’land’ and Scot’land’ you get the idea!

YORKSHIRE UNITED

Simply the 3 ridings of Yorkshire

SOUTHERN DRAGONS

Wales and Southern England (anywhere south of Cheshire/Yorks)

LE TRICALORE

Basically – France!

We already have 2 knockout comps (challenge cup and playoffs) so I suggest this is a simple, top of the table lifts the crown each season. Home and away alternates each year.  Games to be played in as bigger stadia as possible.

Things to Note:

Eligibility

I think should be pretty loose as we want to spread the talent amongst the teams. So I’d say players can just throw their hat in the ring for whoever they want. I think international players can play but perhaps there is a cap to encourage home nation talent?

Internationals

This tournament would be seen as a pre-curser to big internationals (not in place of them) and vital for selection chances of players. France would basically be playing their 1st team against 4 strong teams so it would help develop them as a nation.

Finance

A clever financial model would need to be created that proportionately split profits  (largely gate/broadcasting rights) between all clubs (Superleague – L1) with incentive bonuses for clubs that have provided more players. That way we get buy in from the clubs

Welfare/ Schedule

These Matches would be  instead of loop fixtures.

Thoughts

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jamesthepratt said:

YORKSHIRE UNITED

Practical question, James.  Who would people from the City of York play for?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

The only way forward for our great game is a total re-brand which personally i expect to happen within the next 3 years.

NRL EUROPE Here we come:)

Paul

Problem with that is that the wider sporting public is ignorant of the NRL. It means nothing.

• Like 1

Rep games need to become more important than club level to the players and the fans. 

If that can happen then the game in the UK can take strides forward. 

Cricket, Athletics, Rugby Union ect... All put the international first and they succeed on the national level better for it. 

You can still have your club rugby but sometimes you'll have your best players missing, which with the injuries and suspensions we have now, we already have that now. 

I just don't get the argument that there's no room in the Calendar and there's too many games. I'd say there's far too few games. 

Just 30 years ago 1992 there was a full league season, the county Cup competition, the John player or Regal trophy competition, the Challenge cup competition (not coming into the competition late like they do now) The Premiership competition. Then there was a lions tour playing 3 ashes test matches, a couple of test matches against New Zealand, games against Papua New Guinea, and other tour matches against club sides. A war of the roses match. And we probably played France too. And then in the off season some players would go and play down under. 

They do nothing close to that now and most of them spend time on the sidelines spectating if they're slightly injured or banned. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jamesthepratt said:

So, we all know that the game needs re-invigorating ,the fan base needs broadening and media attention has to be increased. One simple answer to this is a better international scene. Which we all want but sadly can’t rely on. Whilst we should definitely be striving to improve the international calendar, I believe that we’re now in a situation where we need to do something else – Something that we can do off our own backs.

So, here’s a suggestion that I want to put to the forum… A small franchise-based tournament that could happen either at the end of the season, or at set points throughout it.  Think cricket’s ‘Hundred’ meets unions ‘Six Nations’ with a splash of  ‘State of Origin’

THE (INSERT SPONSOR NAME HERE) CROWN

5 teams that each represent a large passionate geographical location/ group of people, play each other once. Research needs to be done on what teams the wider public would be drawn to supporting. But for now, imagine something like….

NORTHWEST POWER

Taking in Greater Manchester, Lancs and Cheshire

NORTH LAND RAMS

Cumber’land’, West Mor’land’, Northumber’land’ and Scot’land’ you get the idea!

YORKSHIRE UNITED

SOUTHERN DRAGONS

Wales and Southern England (anywhere south of Cheshire/Yorks)

LE TRICALORE

Basically – France!

We already have 2 knockout comps (challenge cup and playoffs) so I suggest this is a simple, top of the table lifts the crown each season. Home and away alternates each year.  Games to be played in as bigger stadia as possible.

Things to Note:

Eligibility

I think should be pretty loose as we want to spread the talent amongst the teams. So I’d say players can just throw their hat in the ring for whoever they want. I think international players can play but perhaps there is a cap to encourage home nation talent?

Internationals

This tournament would be seen as a pre-curser to big internationals (not in place of them) and vital for selection chances of players. France would basically be playing their 1st team against 4 strong teams so it would help develop them as a nation.

Finance

A clever financial model would need to be created that proportionately split profits  (largely gate/broadcasting rights) between all clubs (Superleague – L1) with incentive bonuses for clubs that have provided more players. That way we get buy in from the clubs

Welfare/ Schedule

These Matches would be  instead of loop fixtures.

Thoughts

North, South, East, Wast Yorkshire. Which one are you excluding?

This post is another example of what happens when people get on their phone after being in the local Working Mens Club since 2 o'clock this afternoon

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Legend said:

Rep games need to become more important than club level to the players and the fans. 

If that can happen then the game in the UK can take strides forward. 

Cricket, Athletics, Rugby Union ect... All put the international first and they succeed on the national level better for it. 

You can still have your club rugby but sometimes you'll have your best players missing, which with the injuries and suspensions we have now, we already have that now. 

I just don't get the argument that there's no room in the Calendar and there's too many games. I'd say there's far too few games. 

Just 30 years ago 1992 there was a full league season, the county Cup competition, the John player or Regal trophy competition, the Challenge cup competition (not coming into the competition late like they do now) The Premiership competition. Then there was a lions tour playing 3 ashes test matches, a couple of test matches against New Zealand, games against Papua New Guinea, and other tour matches against club sides. A war of the roses match. And we probably played France too. And then in the off season some players would go and play down under. 

They do nothing close to that now and most of them spend time on the sidelines spectating if they're slightly injured or banned. 

Not forgetting they were part time professionals with “proper jobs”  - though some of them were teachers (ouch)😊

To be fair its not the worst idea i have read on this forum... its not even the worst idea i've read today... which is amazing really as normally it would have been but you have to congratulate Superten as he won on that one.. hands down.. Three is at least some logic in this (lets remember "some" is a very woolly word)

• Haha 2