Fev's new coach is

15 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

We shall see but there's one thing for certain it surely can't be any worse then Mr McDermott.

I'm inclined to agree, I thought McDermott was a bad fit for us from the start, but don't start tempting fate with that kind of comment!  I reckon it could be worse than playing boring, uninspiring rugby, getting rid of star players, and getting knocked out in the semi.

I'm hoping that this is me just pondering, but you often see unsuccessful football clubs flip flop between styles; a foreigner, a pragmatist, a foreigner, Big Sam, a modern guy, Alan Pardew. Repeat.

Webster, McDermott and now Long could suggest that after the discipline of McDermott, a new 'modern' approach is required wi Long. If he fails, will we go back to a disciplinarian?

Long is a mate of Campbell and i hope he has been given the nod for the right reasons strategically rather than because he was available and there..

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

15 hours ago, lacuna1 said:

Every so often you can see something a mile off that is destined for failure. This is the impending failure of 2023. The illiterate ramblings in his autobiography and the way he tells his stories about law breaking as if they are the slightest bit funny tells you everything about his childish mentality. Not a cat in hells he makes a coach. It will be a 'free for all' for the Fev players next season which is a shame because i want them in SL, an expanded one ideally but no chance now.

He wrote that book in 2009 when he was still a player.

Four years later he went to Fev as an interim coach (officially titled "Football Manager"), the team won 7 on the bounce to top the league (subsequently beaten in the play-off semi finals by Batley on a golden point drop goal).

Since then he has held assistant coaching positions at three top/successful SL clubs under some very well-respected head coaches, and will be an assistant coach at the World Cup for the third time this year.

He's not the most eloquent of talkers and yes it's possible it could go badly wrong, but to say that failure is inevitable seems unreasonable. Is it a gamble, yes, but so are a lot of coaching appointments.

BTW here's some comments of his previous brief spell in charge from the well-respected Jonny Hepworth, there were similar comments from other players.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/jonny-hepworth-sean-long-has-got-me-playing-again-1858128

• Like 1

It's certainly not going to be boring with Sean Long. We will play more attractive open rugby which will suit the style of many of our current squad.

With Big Mac it was, somewhat ironically, our defence that let us down in 2022.

If Long, or a judiciously chosen assistant coach, can sort that, then 2023 could be another good year on Planet Fev.

Bring it on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

It's certainly not going to be boring with Sean Long. We will play more attractive open rugby which will suit the style of many of our current squad.

With Big Mac it was, somewhat ironically, our defence that let us down in 2022.

If Long, or a judiciously chosen assistant coach, can sort that, then 2023 could be another good year on Planet Fev.

Bring it on.

Very important point on his assistant. 

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

1 hour ago, paul hicks said:

so, the LEEDS link continues. guess we know where the leeds academy lads are getting loaned to in 2023

WHERE do YOU suggest they get loaned out to ? And its not forced to be Featherstone.

19 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

WHERE do YOU suggest they get loaned out to ? And its not forced to be Featherstone.

Bradford presumably, unless they stop their DR arrangement. 😉

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

6 hours ago, Fevrover said:

they get loaned out to a number of clubs but i would hope next season there will be both a full academy fixture list and a reserve team one as well.  that way it would reduce the number of loan and duel reg players which i think is a good thing in the main

• Like 1

8 hours ago, paul hicks said:

they get loaned out to a number of clubs but i would hope next season there will be both a full academy fixture list and a reserve team one as well.  that way it would reduce the number of loan and duel reg players which i think is a good thing in the main

Yeah i  agree but sometimes it comes across on here as if Featherstone were the only team who had ever used DR.

2 hours ago, Fevrover said:

Yeah i  agree but sometimes it comes across on here as if Featherstone were the only team who had ever used DR.

lord no. this year leeds have loaned also to Braford. York. Newcastle. hunslet. hull fc. and would you believe Cornwall and that's just off the top of my head. if I looked into it I recon I could find more.

i seem to remember Fev have loaned/duel reg out to other clubs as well so quite obviously it's not a one club thing. in the past  leeds have loaned players from them as well to say nothing of the odd coach on a part time basis. 

it's one of those things if you want to get in the so-called big boys league then you take the big boys' flack. 

Edited by paul hicks
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, paul hicks said:

so, the LEEDS link continues. guess we know where the leeds academy lads are getting loaned to in 2023

Think putting this appointment down to any Leeds link is barking up the wrong tree. Long had what was generally regarded as a very positive impact when he was Football Manager here for an interim period in 2013 - a couple of years before Fev's DR link started with Leeds - and it's been fairly well documented that he and Mark Campbell have kept in touch since then.

• Like 1

Good appointment for Featherstone.

Lots of other clubs will have head coaches without a great deal of experience with their particular Championship club with,I reckon,Mark Aston at Sheffield,and Houles,at Toulouse,the most experienced,along with Crarey at Barrow and Lingard at Batley.

The other clubs ain't so experienced and their blending in,along with new players,at the earliest opportunity will be vital.

Could be an exciting 2023 Championship.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.