BBC Sport Twitter feed

9 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

None of the clips from their twitter feed are available to view outside the UK 

Such a shame when it’s supposed to be a World Cup! But they are covering everything stats made, tries, Jamaica’s story, Clive Sullivan, 

We can have no complaints with @bbcsport with the World Cup coverage, it’s fantastic! 

• Like 3
f3gms4.jpg

12 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

None of the clips from their twitter feed are available to view outside the UK 

What about any put up by the RLWC account? BBC clips don't usually play outside the UK.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

43 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

It's an issue being made over nothing. Same will happen during the FIFA World Cup, as it did with the Women's Euros.

It's not nothing. BBC's twitter feed is obviously doing good things. But you can't see that on twitter if you're outside the UK. Which is a pity.

56 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

It's not nothing. BBC's twitter feed is obviously doing good things. But you can't see that on twitter if you're outside the UK. Which is a pity.

It is a pity. It happens quite a bit - it's not a uniquely RL thing but it is exacerbated by how few accounts we having sharing RL content.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I pay a considerable amount each year to help the BBC to operate. Why should people overseas get it for nothing?

It’s tourism and event marketing. Even if it’s too late for people to travel there, it’s still a great promotion for the country.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Copa said:

It’s tourism and event marketing. Even if it’s too late for people to travel there, it’s still a great promotion for the country.

So it's up to the World Cup organisers, the various UK tourist offices, etc. 

40 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I pay a considerable amount each year to help the BBC to operate. Why should people overseas get it for nothing?

Quite right. A local station for local people.

Hopefully you don't need to check any video content on their website or twitter feed when you're on your holidays.

I must have dreamt up that TV station called BBC world. Dreadful waste of money letting Johnny Foreigner watch our national treasure of a channel.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Hopefully you don't need to check any video content on their website or twitter feed when you're on your holidays.

I must have dreamt up that TV station called BBC world. Dreadful waste of money letting Johnny Foreigner watch our national treasure of a channel.

These local people. 68 million of us. BBC World is paid for by licence fee and an FCDO grant (£370 million since 2016) from the UK taxpayer. In the BBCs words, it's for "upholding global democracy through accurate, impartial and independent news reporting", not to entertain for nothing people who have chosen to leave the UK.

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, JohnM said:

These local people. 68 million of us. BBC World is paid for by licence fee and an FCDO grant (£370 million since 2016) from the UK taxpayer. In the BBCs words, it's for "upholding global democracy through accurate, impartial and independent news reporting", not to entertain for nothing people who have chosen to leave the UK.

🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

On 17/10/2022 at 11:30, marklaspalmas said:

It's nothing to do with any of that, its who owns the rights in a given territory. The BBC own them for the UK. Someone else owns them everywhere else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

It's nothing to do with any of that, its who owns the rights in a given territory. The BBC own them for the UK. Someone else owns them everywhere else.

That may be true for broadcasting but not for twitter. Who owns the rights to BBC RLWC footage on Twitter in Spain?

12 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

That may be true for broadcasting but not for twitter. Who owns the rights to BBC RLWC footage on Twitter in Spain?

If it's classed as broadcasting part of the match, then it could well be Fite.

Perhaps the global reach of very short clips on social media needs to be considered in rights contracts in future.

50 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Broadcasting deals routinely include clips for social media. 

Whoever owns the broadcast rights in Spain most probably.

On 17/10/2022 at 09:27, marklaspalmas said:

That's fine. It's a local station, for local people. On Twitter. Covering a World cup 

The BBC is local, local to the UK. It's paid for by UK licence fee payers. I'm not quite sure why you feel so entitled to see it if you (presumably) aren't paying the licence fee? 

It might be a good thing for RL if anyone, anywhere could view it but that would be discretionary and not some sort of right. 

1 hour ago, The Masked Poster said:

The BBC is local, local to the UK. It's paid for by UK licence fee payers. I'm not quite sure why you feel so entitled to see it if you (presumably) aren't paying the licence fee? 

It might be a good thing for RL if anyone, anywhere could view it but that would be discretionary and not some sort of right. 

You must have me confused with another poster.

I'm not, and I don't feel "entitled" to anything with regard to this.

The OP complimented the BBC on their twitter coverage. I pointed out it's not available outside the UK.

Why make it personal? The jibe about 'local people'? Relax. You joined on Sunday, and you're already making friends. 😉

27 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

You must have me confused with another poster.

I'm not, and I don't feel "entitled" to anything with regard to this.

The OP complimented the BBC on their twitter coverage. I pointed out it's not available outside the UK.

Why make it personal? The jibe about 'local people'? Relax. You joined on Sunday, and you're already making friends. 😉

I'm not here to "make friends". I'm here because the RLWC has reignited an interest in the game for me. Possibly I won't be here after that but we'll see. 

But anyway, BBC Twitter content will be made up of BBC footage, I expect at least. Thus it's paid for by the licence fee and is made for those people. If other people can see it, then that's fine as long as there is some monetal or other payback.

Edit, actually I don't know why or how or I ended up in this argument but I don't sufficiently care about it enough. I was just pointing out something. 

Edited by The Masked Poster