RLWC 2021 legacy thread

It’s probably far too early and we need to see how England do, but what do you think/hope/know will be the main the main legacy of this World Cup on UK RL (or elsewhere)?

We touched briefly on it in the attendances thread about the lasting impact this could have for clubs at all levels if they could tie in/cross promote with the Rugby League World Cup.

Do you know if your club is doing this or trying to cash in?

Obviously great England progress will be a rising tide that will lift all boats but hopefully there’s been planning beyond this.

We’ve had lights, camera, action from the BBC - are we taking full enough advantage of this to shine their big light on our whole game?

Are we going to leave a lasting legacy that can be measured in real terms?

3 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

The legacy for me should be more games for the likes of Jamaica Lebanon and Greece. We always seem to fall down here we see great potential in the WC cup then the teams hardly play until the next WC. 

Agree about this and there should be a plan for each of these countries even if it is tailored differently to suit each situation.

The road to France 2025 should be a story in itself with media coverage.

In the UK £10 million has been given to various clubs and initiatives to improve facilities and infrastructure. That should help the game for years to come.

Also much work has been done to engage with youngsters and a lot of great work has been done by international countries in engaging with clubs, schools and young fans, which will hopefully inspire more kids to take up the game.

Then you have the unprecedented media coverage that bolsters all of that and will hopefully have knock on affects in terms of interest and sponsors for the professional game.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

In the UK £10 million has been given to various clubs and initiatives to improve facilities and infrastructure. That should help the game for years to come.

Also much work has been done to engage with youngsters and a lot of great work has been done by international countries in engaging with clubs, schools and young fans, which will hopefully inspire more kids to take up the game.

Then you have the unprecedented media coverage that bolsters all of that and will hopefully have knock on affects in terms of interest and sponsors for the professional game.

Yes, I’ve seen the legacy of that at Westhaughton Lions (near Wigan and Bolton for those who don’t know) for example whereby club facilities are being much improved and this should help bring more people playing there.

I’m just wondering Damien whether even more could be done by the RL pyramid in this country to take advantage of the spotlight that is here?

This could even extend to Wigan themselves.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think based on the IRL getting their fee, which should fund development, plus the £10m invested in the UK, then we can say that is a positive result. As long as the RFL doesn't lose any money. 

The softer things like viewing figures, sponsors etc. - we'll have to wait and see if we make progress there. 

One thing that is positive is that the tournament is definitely being treated more seriously. Itv news had Young running 95m last night - we are seeing updates on all channels, including Sky. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Agree about this and there should be a plan for each of these countries even if it is tailored differently to suit each situation.

The road to France 2025 should be a story in itself with media coverage.

The teams I think we should concentrate on are those who have used players from their domestic league. So the three I mentioned plus Wales and any others in that bracket. These teams need to be playing each other regularly and also getting a game or two each season against opposition that is made up of full time pros. I’d say France PNG Samoa Fiji and maybe the Cook Islands would then make up the next level and should be getting regular games between each other. Plus playing the odd game against teams above and below them. The we have the top four above that. Teams who can’t pick players from their domestic league either because it’s not good enough or they don’t have one should be given all the help available to get that situation improved. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, I’ve seen the legacy of that at Westhaughton Lions (near Wigan and Bolton for those who don’t know) for example whereby club facilities are being much improved and this should help bring more people playing there.

I’m just wondering Damien whether even more could be done by the RL pyramid in this country to take advantage of the spotlight that is here?

This could even extend to Wigan themselves.

Oh I don't doubt it's paramount that the game takes advantage of what is going on at the moment.

There will be benefits either way but there can certainly be multiplier effect with the benefits if the game properly takes advantage. If it doesn't then it is just incompetence and with RL that's always a fear. When I see a kid in Coventry with stars in their eyes asking Addo Carr how he's so fast then I think it's a travesty if that kid won't have the opportunity to play RL next week. As you say about Wigan, clubs should certainly be using this as part of their sales pitch too.

Even regarding the international game the RFL should be announcing the end of season test series for next year and building on this big match, big stadium vibe. Its free publicity at the moment. I'd be announcing a 2 test mid season series v France too. One match in France and one in Coventry. I've seen enough from Coventry to think they deserve an England match and wouldn't be snobbish about the opposition. That should be offered to all those that went to Coventry now.

I do fear the game just doesn't have the right people to capitalise on what is going on at the moment. 

• Like 3

Only 2 ‘legacy’ elements for the tournament IMO:

1. 10m invested into grassroots rugby in England - massive influx of funds that will improve the sport in many areas. This is an area we’ve always struggled with so this is huge.

2. Estimated 10m to the IRL for investment in the sport globally for the next 3yrs. When have this size of fee ever been delivered? Hopefully the 2-3s locally-based players for the likes of Greece, Jamaica et al will grow a little bit more for 2025.

Sponsors, investment and crowds will disappear as per usual as there will be no effective investment at the right level across the game in England. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Only 2 ‘legacy’ elements for the tournament IMO:

1. 10m invested into grassroots rugby in England - massive influx of funds that will improve the sport in many areas. This is an area we’ve always struggled with so this is huge.

2. Estimated 10m to the IRL for investment in the sport globally for the next 3yrs. When have this size of fee ever been delivered? Hopefully the 2-3s locally-based players for the likes of Greece, Jamaica et al will grow a little bit more for 2025.

Sponsors, investment and crowds will disappear as per usual as there will be no effective investment at the right level across the game in England. 

Has that 10m number been mentioned by anyone in a position of authority? 

• Like 1

A couple of things that Fev have been doing to engage with the local community through the world cup. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Looks great - have you noticed yet any increased interest or got in touch with your local media to generate a local interest story related to the Rugby League World Cup?

We've established a girls team this year and have just started some X-League sessions with adults in the last week or so. This is all off the back of the funds given for equipment, advertising, extended festivals, over and above the capital project of the Sports Pavilion. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Northern Eel said:

We've established a girls team this year and have just started some X-League sessions with adults in the last week or so. This is all off the back of the funds given for equipment, advertising, extended festivals, over and above the capital project of the Sports Pavilion. 

That’s brilliant, mate.  

You should be proud of that.

Its great to hear about inspiring stories like this.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Facilities like this outside the heartlands, created by this World Cup... 

That's fantastic. The money being used to improve and own facilities will improve the game for decades to come.

Cramlington Rockets in the North East also got a £175,000 World Cup grant to refurbish and get ownership of their own pavilion:

The tournament’s CreatedBy grant funding has been the catalyst for projects to secure additional funding leading to an overall financial investment of over £21 million, delivered in partnership with the RFL. Cramlington Rockets have received £175,000 from RLWC2021 and the funding will help the club refurbish the Eastfield Community Pavilion, which has been transferred to the club by the local authority. When completed, the developments will provide young rugby league players with a fully functioning clubhouse, giving the club a proper home, creating more opportunities for local people to get involved in rugby league and enabling Cramlington Rockets to host events that benefit the wider community.   

https://www.rlwc2021.com/article/423/cramlington-rockets-receive-£175,000-rugby-league-world-cup-grant

Edited by Damien
  • Like 5

Others have mentioned the really positive CreatedBy legacy but I would like to focus on London internationals. 

Emirates will be awesome, I feel. Wembley 2013 *was* awesome. Let's get an ENG-FRA test in a medium-sized London venue announced to *start* 2023; announce Emirates/WHL as the venue for the Autumn 1st Test; start selling in the week of the RLWC Final (as a supplementary good rather than a substitute good).

EDIT: fixed my Econ101 fail.

Edited by Archie Gordon
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

Has that 10m number been mentioned by anyone in a position of authority? 

I doubt anyone has mentioned a 10m number, because the actual figure is more than twice as much - £25.8 million.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I doubt anyone has mentioned a 10m number, because the actual figure is more than twice as much - £25.8 million.

I think you are talking about government funding, and not the IRL staging fee. 

This will be part of the legacy. (Even though not formally part of WC2021)

• Like 5

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!