South American RL Championships

53 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

An interesting mix of domestic products and heritage players for both teams, I wonder how the former communicate with the latter?

12 hours ago, Big Picture said:

An interesting mix of domestic products and heritage players for both teams, I wonder how the former communicate with the latter?

The majority of heritage Brazilians grow up in with two Brazilian parents or are born there and emigrated early - I imagine the language barrier for them is minimal if not non-existent 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

The majority of heritage Brazilians grow up in with two Brazilian parents or are born there and emigrated early - I imagine the language barrier for them is minimal if not non-existent 

Muito bom!!!!

4 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

And that's part of the whole problem with the heritage debate. Most don't realise these people grow up speaking their parents language as a first language and where they live secondarily.

They can live an almost completely foreign lifestyle to their neighbours.

new rise.jpg

14 hours ago, Pulga said:

And that's part of the whole problem with the heritage debate. Most don't realise these people grow up speaking their parents language as a first language and where they live secondarily.

They can live an almost completely foreign lifestyle to their neighbours.

That's true of the children of immigrants, not true of their children though because they routinely marry someone of a different ethnic background who doesn't speak that language.  I've seen this firsthand with some acquaintances of mine whose parents were ethnic Germans expelled from Hungary after the last World War; their kids can all speak and read both German and Hungarian, but their spouses didn't know a word of either language and so their kids in turn never learned them.

That's why I find qualification based on parentage much more legitimate than qualification based on grandparentage.

11 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Sounds like a very close game with the tiniest of in-goal areas! I can hear the gasps in Australia from here.

Evidently (in the British fashion too) they just were making do.

Brasil won so they now play Jamaica, Cananda and USA in the Americas Championship in 2023 which is also the main RLWC2025 qualifier. I imagine this will be held in Florida and I think the top 2 qualify for France. Based on current form, Jamaica will be favourites with Canada probably 2nd favourites.

1 minute ago, Whippet13 said:

Brasil won so they now play Jamaica, Cananda and USA in the Americas Championship in 2023 which is also the main RLWC2025 qualifier. I imagine this will be held in Florida and I think the top 2 qualify for France. Based on current form, Jamaica will be favourites with Canada probably 2nd favourites.

Unbelievable the USA are even allowed to try to qualify.

• Like 2

new rise.jpg

22 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Unbelievable the USA are even allowed to try to qualify.

Well, they are members so should be allowed to try, but it's weird they are allowed directly into the final round of qualifying given the never ending chaos over there and lack of any league structure or regular games this year outside of a 3 club Florida mini-comp. Troy Grant seems quite keen on the USA for RLWC2029 so maybe that's why.

Congratulations to Brazil 

Coming off the success of the women’s World Cup campaign to now where the men’s is one tournament away from achieving a World Cup berth. 

I believe the women’s team automatically qualify. It would be amazing to have both teams at France 2025 but both USA and Canada will be tough for that second spot assuming Jamaica can win again. 

Either way it’s great to have the South American nations participating in qualification competitions and wishing them all continued success. 

by chance will they be releasing the match video to YouTube or another platform at anytime? I see the recast app costs money was hoping I could watch but unfortunately behind a paywall. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Iceberg Slim said:

Congratulations to Brazil 

Coming off the success of the women’s World Cup campaign to now where the men’s is one tournament away from achieving a World Cup berth. 

I believe the women’s team automatically qualify. It would be amazing to have both teams at France 2025 but both USA and Canada will be tough for that second spot assuming Jamaica can win again. 

Either way it’s great to have the South American nations participating in qualification competitions and wishing them all continued success. 

by chance will they be releasing the match video to YouTube or another platform at anytime? I see the recast app costs money was hoping I could watch but unfortunately behind a paywall. 

If you can be encouraged to do so, payment for recast apparently goes directly to the nations so is very much worth it - if you’re able to of course. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Well, they are members so should be allowed to try, but it's weird they are allowed directly into the final round of qualifying given the never ending chaos over there and lack of any league structure or regular games this year outside of a 3 club Florida mini-comp. Troy Grant seems quite keen on the USA for RLWC2029 so maybe that's why.

There are 3 types of membership. Only affiliates and full members are allowed to qualify for the World Cup.

USA doesn't really fulfil the criteria for affiliate membership.

new rise.jpg

7 minutes ago, Pulga said:

There are 3 types of membership. Only affiliates and full members are allowed to qualify for the World Cup.

USA doesn't really fulfil the criteria for affiliate membership.

Depends how the IRL decide to interpret "Affiliate", pretty loosely in the USA at present.

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

Neither do Italy, and probably Scotland, the criteria don’t matter to the organisers. 

Yep. That's the worst part. 

I know the nations I've been involved with have basically been ignored until they become observer members at a cost many times the average yearly wage and then the IRL turns a blind eye to the more affluent countries.

I honestly don't know why any new nations would take up rugby league. I'd recommend staying in union if that's where they are.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

new rise.jpg

6 hours ago, Pulga said:

Yep. That's the worst part. 

I know the nations I've been involved with have basically been ignored until they become observer members at a cost many times the average yearly wage and then the IRL turns a blind eye to the more affluent countries.

I honestly don't know why any new nations would take up rugby league. I'd recommend staying in union if that's where they are.

Can you expand on some of the details to becoming observer members? It saddens me to think other nations are genuinely trying to develop the game yet those nations that are doing nothing are getting premium opportunities such as World Cup spots based off primarily heritage players I would rather a South Africa Brazil Jamaica etc than a Scotland Ireland Italy to represent at the World Cup. Those nations have been to the last 3 world cups and nothing has changed for the game domestically in those countries. 

• Like 1