Samoa Taking rugby league to the world

3 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Someone should tell him there are still some £110 tickets on offer.

But he can save a few quid if he clicks on Cat B and searches for the same section.

18 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

That has just cheered me up, no end. 

It means as much to Australia

So much they haven't even bothered to play England since 2017.

4 minutes ago, Leonard said:

It means as much to Australia

So much they haven't even bothered to play England since 2017.

Are you referring to Mal Meninga's comments?

I'm pretty sure that getting to the final means just as much to the Australian players, Mal and his staff and a significant proportion of the Australian RL watching public as it does to the Samoan's.

Their absence from International competition is due (no doubt) to the people who control the NRL who seem to care little for the development of the game outside the Eastern States of Australia.

Meninga has been an outspoken advocate of International ''test footy'' ever since he was employed as National Coach.

The problem is the soul-less number crunchers at the NRL offices.  

• Like 3

Just now, fighting irish said:

Are you referring to Mal Meninga's comments?

I'm pretty sure that getting to the final means just as much to the Australian players, Mal and his staff and a significant proportion of the Australian RL watching public as it does to the Samoan's.

Their absence from International competition is due (no doubt) to the people who control the NRL who seem to care little for the development of the game outside the Eastern States of Australia.

Meninga has been an outspoken advocate of International ''test footy'' ever since he was employed as National Coach.

The problem is the soul-less number crunchers at the NRL offices.  

Not that much of an internationalist Eddie. It wasn’t that long ago that he was trying to get heritage players to commit to Australia.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

What does that actually mean?

I'm sorry for leaving so much implied. In general I much prefer explicit communication.

I was once in a meeting with my companies owner and our bankers. He was asking that they extend our overdraft (a little) to see us past a short term cash flow deficit and the bank manager said ''why don't you just let the business fail?'' instead of working so hard.

My friend, got very angry, using a cricket analogy he said ''while you are up on the gantry, operating the scoreboard, I'm down at the crease trying to make the runs''.

They looked at him with that vacant soulless expression that bankers are famous for, the world over.

The reason he was angry was that he was putting his heart and soul (and straining every sinew) into keeping the business running and trying to build it over time but all they were interested in was the immediate future.

Because the short term outlook was underwhelming, they were happy to let the business fail and die.

He was taking a longer term view, he could see a grand vision of the future, where our business would be a huge success for the benefit of all concerned. He was backing that vision with everything we had.

They just wanted the overdraft paid off as quickly as possible.

I'm suggesting that while the vast majority of fans see a grand vision of the future for International Rugby League, that future is being hamstrung and forestalled by the powerbrokers at the ARLC, too fixated with the short term perception of the NRL amongst the Australian public.

I'm not suggesting that they shouldn't preserve and promote what they've got at home, but for goodness sake, lend some support to the International growth initiatives. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

In 2017!

From 1973 Australia won thirteen consecutive Ashes series.
We lost to Samoa, Ashes stopped being interesting because we couldn't win any game (even outiside the Ashed, last GB/Eng win was in...?), it's not that we're exactly an attractive opposition. 

From Wikipedia: 

In 2016, newly appointed Australian team coach Mal Meninga, who as a player was selected to a record 4 Kangaroo Tours (the last two as captain) and played in a record 6 Ashes series (1982, 1984, 1986, 1990, 1992 and 1994 - playing a record 17 Ashes tests, only missing 1988 through injury), publicly advocated for a return of the Kangaroo Tours which would see The Ashes revived in 2020.[8] The proposed 2020 series was cancelled in June 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It was suggested that the series may be played in 2022 instead.

Could have played them this year in the final: they are there, we're not. 

Edited by MatthewWoody

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador