Jump to content

Fundraising for Central America


Pulga
 Share

Recommended Posts


1 hour ago, hw88 said:

Classic RL fantasy.

26 random blokes from 2 different countries does not constitute an 'international'.

What does then?

I thought two teams of players representing their country against each other is an international in any sport 

Also, he isn't a fantasist he actually puts time, effort and money into developing RL in new countries.

More than just putting a negative comment on a thread with no actual substance

 

 

Edited by JM2010
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JM2010 said:

What does then?

I thought two teams of players representing their country against each other is an international in any sport 

Also, he isn't a fantasist he actually puts time, effort and money into developing RL in new countries.

More than just putting a negative comment on a thread with no actual substance

I wasn't having a pop at the chap in question, on the contrary I applaud his efforts. It's just the term 'international' that amuses me. It implies a selection process from many teams but I doubt that was the case. I'm sure many on this board will be wanting them to be included in the next world cup.

By your reckoning my (and my classmates) impromptu football match v some French kids on our school trip was an 'international'. I'm still awaiting my 'cap'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, hw88 said:

I wasn't having a pop at the chap in question, on the contrary I applaud his efforts. It's just the term 'international' that amuses me. It implies a selection process from many teams but I doubt that was the case. I'm sure many on this board will be wanting them to be included in the next world cup.

By your reckoning my (and my classmates) impromptu football match v some French kids on our school trip was an 'international'. I'm still awaiting my 'cap'.

If they're the best or only 17 available for the nations then it can be an international I suppose. It might not be a high standard and a big selection process but it's a start 

Unless you and your classmates were the best available players in the country then it's definitely not an international by my reckoning 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suspect it will not be an "international" in the sense that it is a full IRL-sanctioned test match, if that is what he means. However still a positive if they pull it off, and for me, a thousand times more significant than some of the "internationals" we see played out of Sydney. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hw88 said:

I wasn't having a pop at the chap in question, on the contrary I applaud his efforts. It's just the term 'international' that amuses me. It implies a selection process from many teams but I doubt that was the case. 

Does it imply that or do you just infer it?

  • Haha 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jughead said:

Where does the kit and equipment come from for these kind of nations? I can’t imagine there’s many rugby ball manufacturers in Tegucigalpa, for example. 

I've been getting kit direct from Pakistan. It is by far the cheapest for the quality. You can get them made in Nicaragua for cheaper, we've done it before, but the quality isn't great.

Balls are the biggest problem. I've sent balls over at a cost of over $100 per ball.

I'm wanting to eventually get 100 made and sent over. It's just expensive.

new rise.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hw88 said:

I wasn't having a pop at the chap in question, on the contrary I applaud his efforts. It's just the term 'international' that amuses me. It implies a selection process from many teams but I doubt that was the case. I'm sure many on this board will be wanting them to be included in the next world cup.

By your reckoning my (and my classmates) impromptu football match v some French kids on our school trip was an 'international'. I'm still awaiting my 'cap'.

If you're the only players in a country then you're the best. Look at Eddie the Eel.

Regardless, both nations have many more than 17 players.

Nicaragua had a 4 team full 13-a-side comp before COVID and have had 3 nines teams in one city (Chinandega).

  • Like 3

new rise.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, langpark said:

I suspect it will not be an "international" in the sense that it is a full IRL-sanctioned test match, if that is what he means. However still a positive if they pull it off, and for me, a thousand times more significant than some of the "internationals" we see played out of Sydney. 

It's certainly an International. But it won't be IRL sanctioned.

It kind of points out what IRL membership gets you (imaginary ranking points and FA else).

new rise.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Pulga said:

It's certainly an International. But it won't be IRL sanctioned.

It kind of points out what IRL membership gets you (imaginary ranking points and FA else).

You declaring it an "international" does not make it so. 

Anyway, I do not want to detract from your fundraising efforts and I applaud what you are doing. All the best with it! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, langpark said:

You declaring it an "international" does not make it so. 

Anyway, I do not want to detract from your fundraising efforts and I applaud what you are doing. All the best with it! 

international

/ɪntəˈnaʃ(ə)n(ə)l/

existing, occurring, or carried on between nations.

"international trade"

Similar:

global, worldwide, intercontinental, cosmopolitan, multiracial, multinational, universal, catholic, wide-ranging, far-reaching, all-embracing

Opposite: nationall, local

noun

1.

BRITISH

a game or contest between teams representing different countries in a sport.

"the Murrayfield rugby international"

2.

any of four associations founded (1864–1936) to promote socialist or communist action.

 

I'd love to see your definition.

They are representing two different nations. Literally the definition of the word.

  • Like 2

new rise.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, hw88 said:

Classic RL fantasy.

26 random blokes from 2 different countries does not constitute an 'international'.

That's the spirit! 👍

  • Like 2

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."

JohnM - 17/01/2023

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Pulga said:

It's certainly an International. But it won't be IRL sanctioned.

Lots of internationals aren't IRL sanctioned.  The recent England v Fiji World Cup warm up game, for instance.  There was some correspondence in League Express in October about the way Wales were recognising internationals.

There'll always be a line, some games will always fall on one side or the other and there'll always be folk who disagree with where the line's been drawn.

Edited by Griff
  • Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No issue with calling it an international because it’s a game between 2 nations. Union likes to call all its internationals ‘tests’. The only test involved is seeing if you can stay awake for the whole game, it’s certainly quite a challenge. 

Anyway, let’s not detract the thread from the purpose. It’s a great initiative 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/12/2022 at 23:09, Griff said:

Does it imply that or do you just infer it?

Both.

I would have used ther term 'representative' rather than international.

Anyhow good luck to the venture, let's hope it succeeds spectacularly.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hw88 said:

Both.

I would have used ther term 'representative' rather than international.

Anyhow good luck to the venture, let's hope it succeeds spectacularly.

I'll see if Nicaragua has a Yorkshire and Lancashire equivalent so we can get a War Of The Roses going if you want a "representative" game.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

new rise.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...