Sloping RL pitches - cost to fix?

16 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Not having a flat pitch is fine at lower levels but watching a game at Batley with 85% of play at the deep end on a wet and windy day is not the future for TV - or fans when the covered end is far away, hence SL rules should state 100m between goal posts and flat

I love it when someone is happy to criticise another club's ground,when their own team are only tenants.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

I love it when someone is happy to criticise another club's ground,when their own team are only tenants.

Indeed some of our former owners/directors have much to answer for , essentially running the club into the financial situation where we had to sell our ground and indeed our soul , and we aren't alone in that 

Sweaty's point does stand , don't get me wrong , I love The Mount , but the slope is seriously bad 

36 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Indeed some of our former owners/directors have much to answer for , essentially running the club into the financial situation where we had to sell our ground and indeed our soul , and we aren't alone in that 

Sweaty's point does stand , don't get me wrong , I love The Mount , but the slope is seriously bad 

For him to suggest that 85% of a game is played at the "deep end" is just rubbish.Quite often teams will score more points playing up the slope.

Undeniably there is a slope,but considering it's the same for both teams,why is it "seriously bad".

• Like 2

Just now, gittinsfan said:

For him to suggest that 85% of a game is played at the "deep end" is just rubbish.Quite often teams will score more points playing up the slope.

Undeniably there is a slope,but considering it's the same for both teams,why is it "seriously bad".

The slope is bad , but as you correctly say it's the same for both teams and quite often easier to play uphill than down , the tendency is for wingers and centres to overun and more forwards passes seem to be thrown playing downhill IMO 

Look , I love the place and the club , I am genuinely going to try to organise a coach load of Leopard Print wearing Leythers to go to a match as neutrals at the mount this year 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The slope is bad , but as you correctly say it's the same for both teams and quite often easier to play uphill than down , the tendency is for wingers and centres to overun and more forwards passes seem to be thrown playing downhill IMO 

Look , I love the place and the club , I am genuinely going to try to organise a coach load of Leopard Print wearing Leythers to go to a match as neutrals at the mount this year 

Make it the Fev game, so I can point and laugh at all the Bet Lynch wannabes 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

That would be good.But you don't need to be neutral,we'd allow you to support Batley.As it's only £10 admission this season,maybe you could get 2 coaches

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

but the slope is seriously bad 

Who for? Clearly not Batley, otherwise somewhere over the last few decades they would have done something about it. So it must be the opposition then. Well why should Batley care about that? It's their home ground and IF it gives them an advantage so be it. 

It's quirky and interesting and gives plenty of headaches to opposition coaches, players and fans who have to work out how to play there and long may that continue!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

20 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Make it the Fev game, so I can point and laugh at all the Bet Lynch wannabes 

Good Friday ? 🤔 Doubtful , the Fax game looks a possibility , we've a few Fax part timer fans in our ranks 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

That would be good.But you don't need to be neutral,we'd allow you to support Batley.As it's only £10 admission this season,maybe you could get 2 coaches

That might be pushing it 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gittinsfan said:

You know what? I think I'm going to pencil in a visit this year - hearing lots of good things about Batley and sounds like it's kids friendly so will bring mine 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

You know what? I think I'm going to pencil in a visit this year - hearing lots of good things about Batley and sounds like it's kids friendly so will bring mine 

I'm sure you will be made very welcome.It's worth a visit just to see the world famous slope LOL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversspud said:

Who for? Clearly not Batley, otherwise somewhere over the last few decades they would have done something about it. So it must be the opposition then. Well why should Batley care about that? It's their home ground and IF it gives them an advantage so be it. 

It's quirky and interesting and gives plenty of headaches to opposition coaches, players and fans who have to work out how to play there and long may that continue!

Looking at the last 2 seasons:

2022 they won 7, lost 4 and drew 2 of their home league games and won 9 and lost 4 away (+1 win at the Bash)

In 2021 at home they won 5, lost 6 and away won 8, lost 2

So much for that mythical home advantage....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

2022 they won 7, lost 4 and drew 2 of their home league games and won 9 and lost 4 away (+1 win at the Bash)

They need to level out the pitch then 😉

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Great little ground. My favourite away day by some distance. Beer garden is fantastic on a summer afternoon and the pies will take you to another dimension.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I think it's because it is difficult to win playing downhill first half if teams are fairly equally matched.

My theory is that for the first 20 minutes of any game, most sides and referees are feeling their way and scores are lower. 

Also more points are scored in the last 20 minutes as teams tire so it is advantages to be playing downhill second half.

It depends on the strength of the sides as to how many points the slope is worth.

• Like 1