Sloping RL pitches - cost to fix?

34 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Yep, might be a case of Category B

Actually, I've been too kind to you, Tommy.  The OP asks what it would cost.  We haven't established what work needs to be done yet.   So I'm asking you again - how would you achieve that flat pitch ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

This is one of the reasons we have home and away games. Having identi-grounds would take away the little nuances and changes in tactics. At watersheddings, for example, the match would start on the journey over. I'm sure some players dreaded the cold, the walk though the crowd from the pavilion onto the pitch, the diagonal slope from the kop end to the double decker Hutchins stand and the biting wind. 

Keep the slopes, keep the uniqueness. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Griff said:

Actually, I've been too kind to you, Tommy.  The OP asks what it would cost.  We haven't established what work needs to be done yet.   So I'm asking you again - how would you achieve that flat pitch ?

Fill it in, as you would flatten any surface

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Not quite as simple as that , you'd have to cut down in the top corner and build up the bottom , but would need some form of retaining wall , if they could reduce it by 2 thirds that'd be fine 

26 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

As Starbug says, y ou could move 87500 cubic metres of muck from one end to the other.  Then you'd be left with a fives court at one end with no line of sight, so you'd need to drop the terraces at the top end.  That'd need modifications to the stand roof, possibly the club at that end and the stands at the sides.

At the botom end you're left with a "table" with the spectators peering onto it at boot height, so you'd need to build up those terraces.

It'd be cheaper to knock the whole thing down and start again.

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

This is one of the reasons we have home and away games. Having identi-grounds would take away the little nuances and changes in tactics. At watersheddings, for example, the match would start on the journey over. I'm sure some players dreaded the cold, the walk though the crowd from the pavilion onto the pitch, the diagonal slope from the kop end to the double decker Hutchins stand and the biting wind. 

Keep the slopes, keep the uniqueness. 

Absolutely this!

• Like 1

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

7 minutes ago, Griff said:

As Starbug says, y ou could move 87500 cubic metres of muck from one end to the other.  Then you'd be left with a fives court at one end with no line of sight, so you'd need to drop the terraces at the top end.  That'd need modifications to the stand roof, possibly the club at that end and the stands at the sides.

At the botom end you're left with a "table" with the spectators peering onto it at boot height, so you'd need to build up those terraces.

It'd be cheaper to knock the whole thing down and start again.

It may well be cheaper to do that, that is one of the things with fundamental flaws, they tend to be pretty fundamental.

29 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Not quite as simple as that , you'd have to cut down in the top corner and build up the bottom , but would need some form of retaining wall , if they could reduce it by 2 thirds that'd be fine 

Yeah exactly, I think the thing with Batley is just how dramatic the drop is and how particularly significant it is in one corner, even a minor reduction would be a significant improvement.

58 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

is just how dramatic the drop is

That just means there's nothing funnier than a commentator on the Beeb trying to explain the shear incline to a tv audience for whom the camera makes every field look as flat as a pancake.

"It was a Game of two brews!" Lancashire joke there everyone.

• Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Not saying I don't believe it could be millions (others have broadly suggested it to me).....I just can't fathom how it is millions....surely just a few earth.movers for a few weeks?

It’s probably only moving about 2000m3 of muck. Two weeks absolute tops even allowing for working in a small area. Then you’ve got a couple of months at least to re-grow the grass. £30000 should cover it.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Not saying I don't believe it could be millions (others have broadly suggested it to me).....I just can't fathom how it is millions....surely just a few earth.movers for a few weeks?

It's not just about bringing Diggerland to Batley though, is it? Did you not read my post?

21 minutes ago, clwydianrange said:

It’s probably only moving about 2000m3 of muck. Two weeks absolute tops even allowing for working in a small area. Then you’ve got a couple of months at least to re-grow the grass. £30000 should cover it.

2000? Check that arithmetic.

• Like 1

Right it's New Year's eve and we're trying to figure out how much square meterage of soil ( that's if it is soil ) would need shifting from the top to the bottom of the Mount pitch to level it out 

First thing we need to know is what is the drop , I seem to recall about 5 metres , so let's say we're building up the bottom 2 and dropping the top 2 leaving an acceptable 1 metre slope 

So it's 80 X 25 X 2 which is 4,000 cubic metres to be dug out from the top and if it is usable repositioned at the bottom , then of course as I put you'd need some form of retainer at the bottom and something at the top under the existing terrace and changing rooms/offices 

You'd need to put in new drainage in as well I'd guess , and then sort out something with the terracing at the bottom to make it higher 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Right it's New Year's eve and we're trying to figure out how much square meterage of soil ( that's if it is soil ) would need shifting from the top to the bottom of the Mount pitch to level it out 

First thing we need to know is what is the drop , I seem to recall about 5 metres , so let's say we're building up the bottom 2 and dropping the top 2 leaving an acceptable 1 metre slope 

So it's 80 X 25 X 2 which is 4,000 cubic metres to be dug out from the top and if it is usable repositioned at the bottom , then of course as I put you'd need some form of retainer at the bottom and something at the top under the existing terrace and changing rooms/offices 

You'd need to put in new drainage in as well I'd guess , and then sort out something with the terracing at the bottom to make it higher 

Leave a slope on the pitch and that’ll solve the drainage problem

18 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Ha ha....New years eve engineering