Sloping RL pitches - cost to fix?

I know Batley and Fev have it so why is it kept that way? 

Is it so expensive to be completely prohibitive to do the ground works to level? 

I vaguely remember someone telling me it was a ludicrous sum of money to level Lords cricket ground (recently ??) 

Is it £10,000s sort of prohibitive or £100,000s prohibitive ?? (Can't be more can it??)

Anyone in the game who could provide an estimate ?

Other considerations at Batley and Fev other than cost? 

Are any other grounds on a slope?

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Is it so expensive to be completely prohibitive to do the ground works to level? 

I vaguely remember someone telling me it was a ludicrous sum of money to level Lords cricket ground (recently ??) 

Is it £10,000s sort of prohibitive or £100,000s prohibitive ?? (Can't be more can it??)

Why? Why would Fev or Batley want to level the pitch? It's a feature we all love at Fev. The pitch isn't quite as steep as it used to be before the new stands were built and the pitch extended but it's a point of difference for us (and Batley) over all those other bland , flat pitches. It's maybe also a slight advantage for us over the away teams as we may play the slope better, but isn't that what home advantage is supposed to give you?

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

6 minutes ago, roversspud said:

Why? Why would Fev or Batley want to level the pitch? It's a feature we all love at Fev. The pitch isn't quite as steep as it used to be before the new stands were built and the pitch extended but it's a point of difference for us (and Batley) over all those other bland , flat pitches. It's maybe also a slight advantage for us over the away teams as we may play the slope better, but isn't that what home advantage is supposed to give you?

Because your a professional club with hopes of playing in the elite comp in the Northern Hemisphere maybe.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

You’ve never seen a sloping pitch unless you’ve visited Underbank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, roversspud said:

Spot on, roversspud. 

It will be a sad day when a little bit of historic idiosyncrasy cannot be tolerated here and there.  Unless something seismically traumatic happens at half-time, it is, after all, the same for each side.

Likewise, I would never suggest that the likes of Castleford have to redevelop their playing surface so that there is a full ten metres between each 30 and 40 metres line, unless some wider redevelopment allows this to take place. 

In cricket, if I remember correctly, there used to be a lime tree within the boundary at the Kent CCC ground in Canterbury and when it was fatally damaged by high winds, they grew another to replace it; I like that approach! 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

You’ve never seen a sloping pitch unless you’ve visited Underbank.

Too true and that's before you mention the farmers wall.

I remember Joe Lydon at full pace going down the brow and putting his foot on what he thought was the ground but was in fact 2 ft in the air - landed flat on his face . Not just  a brow but massively uneven as well ...

RL owned field for donkey's years.......

• Like 1

Depending on the size of slope the issue will be terracing around the pitch which have an impact on the work required. I vaguely remember a Facebook post and I don’t put a lot of faith in Facebook suggesting Fev were looking at levelling the pitch and moving to a hybrid pitch and with maintenance was going to be close to £1 million but not sure how accurate that figure is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, del capo said:

Too true and that's before you mention the farmers wall.

I remember Joe Lydon at full pace going down the brow and putting his foot on what he thought was the ground but was in fact 2 ft in the air - landed flat on his face . Not just  a brow but massively uneven as well ...

RL owned field for donkey's years.......

Yeah I can remember my first visit and even after warnings about the humps & hollows I was still amazed on viewing it first hand,the only RL pitch where I’ve seen what started out as a grubbed kick turn into a bomb,always made welcome though.

I don't mind it, it adds a bit of intrigue. Obviously there should be minimum standard regarding the incline (same for pitch size) to avoid an It's a Knockout style madcap version of the sport. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 hour ago, Yorks Tim said:

Did Oldham level the Vestacare pitch or have I imagined that story?

Yep. It was levelled by about 8 feet, I believe. Hence the brick wall at the club end. However, because the ground is leased to Avro FC, it was a grant from the FA, again I believe, that paid for that and the artificial pitch. I don't know how much it cost. 

• Like 1

That field is truly the most challenging in the game.

Forget the incline for a moment.

On one side you are at the top of a cliff face. On the other you have a Peak district style stone wall  at times within 2 foot of the touch line.

NCL at the request of the RFL allowed entry of Underbank from the RLC years ago and became very fond of them . but there was a requirement that they place mattresses for protection in the bottom corner try line - Last of the summer wine  land at its finest........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, roversspud said:

Yes, it's called "home advantaģe".

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

15 minutes ago, del capo said:

That field is truly the most challenging in the game.

Forget the incline for a moment.

On one side you are at the top of a cliff face. On the other you have a Peak district style stone wall  at times within 2 foot of the touch line.

NCL at the request of the RFL allowed entry of Underbank from the RLC years ago and became very fond of them . but there was a requirement that they place mattresses for protection in the bottom corner try line - Last of the summer wine  land at its finest........

Didn’t they play at another ground for a season after gaining NCL entry ?

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

Didn’t they play at another ground for a season after gaining NCL entry ?

The Police Rec ground down in Holmfirth. ?

The RFL unsuccessfully tried to buy it and settle them there. YML clubs now still  have the delight ( and it is a delight ) of visiting them at their century old  fortress on the top of the hill ( once they get past that farmer..).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Waterhead ARLFC had their field levelled a few years ago. It still has a slope but much more playable.

You will not see any change out of £100k. If you seriously need a figure just contact them. Substantial grants were made available - not sure if non community clubs could access them though.

• Like 1

Given we had one club playing on a pitch that was (IIRC) 52m wide last season, I'm not sure that a slope is that big a deal.

Most Championship fans LOVE going to Batley. The slope adds a different dimension and an added tactical nuance.

Fev levelled up the slope to a large degree a few years ago and it doesn't have a huge impact any more, but even if they made it like a billiard table people would still moan, just as they do about the perceived dimensions despite the fact that it's full size.

• Like 2

if the Irish navvies could dig Britains canals by hand back int day - how about some fans turning up with pics and shovels during the off season? - its only a square of grass, nowt in comparison to what them fellas  did , a tell yer , folk don't want hard graft these days 

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

23 minutes ago, del capo said:

Waterhead ARLFC had their field levelled a few years ago. It still has a slope but much more playable.

You will not see any change out of £100k. If you seriously need a figure just contact them. Substantial grants were made available - not sure if non community clubs could access them though.

Presumably nowadays you could ask Michael Gove's department for a grant.  He's the Secretary of State for Levelling Up, isn't he?

• Haha 1