Barrow Raiders increasing crowds

Eddie

1 hour ago, Churchill Drivers said:

Great to see Barrow doing well crowd wise & eclipsing their Cumbrian neighbours who are both struggling for survival but as others have said Barrow were not first to have free entry for children - both Town & Haven have done this in the past. Barrow have many more initiatives now but for those critical of the crowds at both Town & Haven you should understand the following - population of Workington is 32k, Whitehaven is 22k whilst Barrow is 66k.

Town and Haven crowds average about 1k whilst Barrow is 3k thus very similar % attendance to population.

If you look at the population of Bradford at 533k they would need crowds of 24k every week for the same %.

Been a while since weve had the % of population attendance argument.  Well done on brining it back!  Wonder who will be the 1st Cas fan to jump on it.

All clubs including Barrow should be applauded for these kind of initiatives. They are great as long as you are putting a winning team out most home games. Once form dips so do crowds at this level unfortunately. I recall a shrewd director of a Championship club once saying that it can take 2 years of a team winning regularly to build up a crowd but it only takes 2 months of losing regularly to lose them again.

• Like 4

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

25 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Not to my knowledge 

Not all Kids misbehave but there's always some who do,anyway Kids are our future,i used to take mine from birth in their prams and they grew to love going and were interested so they behaved. They are now in their 40's but my Son lives in Brisbane so watches RL over there.

• Like 2

They posted this on FB today:

Barrow Raiders have 20,000 season tickets printed and will be distributing to every school in the area during January. If your child doesn't receive one before the friendlies, don't worry, all children will be granted free entry.

There are no restrictions on free entry. Children are welcome to come with their friends, without adults. We want The Matt Johnson Prestige Stadium the place to be for every child on a Sunday afternoon.

Interesting that they are distributing 20,000 tickets for a (according to wikipedia) 3000 capacity venue. Could this create some possible problems down the line? 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, langpark said:

They posted this on FB today:

Barrow Raiders have 20,000 season tickets printed and will be distributing to every school in the area during January. If your child doesn't receive one before the friendlies, don't worry, all children will be granted free entry.

There are no restrictions on free entry. Children are welcome to come with their friends, without adults. We want The Matt Johnson Prestige Stadium the place to be for every child on a Sunday afternoon.

Interesting that they are distributing 20,000 tickets for a (according to wikipedia) 3000 capacity venue. Could this create some possible problems down the line? 

If they get 1,000 of those kids rocking up it would be astounding, and superb. I can’t see them troubling the capacity. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

All the more surprising their success has come at same time football club got into FL for first time in forever. 

Definitely carved out their brand as the summer place to be in Barrow. 

Yes, it is much warmer in the South.

• Haha 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

19 hours ago, DEANO said:

Kids are free at York with or without an adult and have been for years 

Same at Dewsbury. If they weren't allowed in one their own below the age of 16 that would be a nonsense.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

18 hours ago, Fevrover said:

Not all Kids misbehave but there's always some who do,anyway Kids are our future,i used to take mine from birth in their prams and they grew to love going and were interested so they behaved. They are now in their 40's but my Son lives in Brisbane so watches RL over there.

And no adults ever do.

• Like 1

I recall reading a "generation gap" theory postulated some time ago relating to once well-supported teams suffering continued poor attendances even after results improved. It was suggested that, during long slumps of several seasons, many adults stopped attending and were reluctant to return. These adults had first experienced the game when accompanying parents/grandparents in times of fewer distractions and had developed the enthusiasm/habit at that time. Their non-attendance meant that their children weren't similarly taken along to matches at that formative time and never developed the loyalty to their team that youngsters would normally readily develop. This meant that there is now this "generation gap" of supporters that would very difficult to recruit to the sport.

How valid this is, I don't know but it is an interesting theory.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I recall reading a "generation gap" theory postulated some time ago relating to once well-supported teams suffering continued poor attendances even after results improved. It was suggested that, during long slumps of several seasons, many adults stopped attending and were reluctant to return. These adults had first experienced the game when accompanying parents/grandparents in times of fewer distractions and had developed the enthusiasm/habit at that time. Their non-attendance meant that their children weren't similarly taken along to matches at that formative time and never developed the loyalty to their team that youngsters would normally readily develop. This meant that there is now this "generation gap" of supporters that would very difficult to recruit to the sport.

How valid this is, I don't know but it is an interesting theory.

I would use an analogy of a conveyor belt. Fans get on the belt at one end when they’re young and hopefully travel along it until the end. Some drop off the belt midway for various reasons. The problem is when you have more dropping off than getting on. As the fan base ages and withers away if you haven’t got enough youngsters getting on the belt then eventually you’re going to have a problem. When I go to DP or the Rec it’s noticeable that the majority of fans are 50+. Yes there are some youngsters but not enough to replace the older ones when they can no longer go. 

• Like 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

3 hours ago, Li0nhead said:

I see Batley have gone in with Kids going Free and reducing gate prices to a straight tenner:

Chatting with some other Leythers last night , planning on sorting out a coach trip to Batley at some point during the summer , a day out at the Mount for about 20 quid ticket and coach , what's not to like ? 

leopards on tour 🐆😉

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Chatting with some other Leythers last night , planning on sorting out a coach trip to Batley at some point during the summer , a day out at the Mount for about 20 quid ticket and coach , what's not to like ? 

leopards on tour 🐆😉

Best away day bar none.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Best away day bar none.

Indeed , fairly sure we should be able to find 50 Leythers who fancy it , most of our matches will be Friday or Thursday , so our Sundays will be ' free ' , might look for their game against Fev , they usually win that one 😉

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Indeed , fairly sure we should be able to find 50 Leythers who fancy it , most of our matches will be Friday or Thursday , so our Sundays will be ' free ' , might look for their game against Fev , they usually win that one 😉

No they don't, it was win in the cup for us and a draw in the league and this season it's on Good Friday ( we aren't going to mention games at Fev ) lol.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

No they don't, it was win in the cup for us and a draw in the league and this season it's on Good Friday ( we aren't going to mention games at Fev ) lol.

Yes I've had a look , the Fax game looks a possibility, only stipulation is anybody wanting to go has to wear some Leopard print 😁

What Barrow have done is absolutely excellent and a really good example for others.

They have made themselves one of the best places to be in Barrow between 12 and 6 on a weeken afternoon. The result on the pitch is a minor factor in this, it can't be relied on to draw people in on its own; partly also because League 1 and Championship Rugby League isn't that big of a draw either, which is true of SL too. But naturally, as the initiatives have worked and more people have come and more money has been brought in, the team has improved too. 

This should be encouraged by all clubs.

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

What Barrow have done is absolutely excellent and a really good example for others.

They have made themselves one of the best places to be in Barrow between 12 and 6 on a weeken afternoon. The result on the pitch is a minor factor in this, it can't be relied on to draw people in on its own; partly also because League 1 and Championship Rugby League isn't that big of a draw either, which is true of SL too. But naturally, as the initiatives have worked and more people have come and more money has been brought in, the team has improved too. 

This should be encouraged by all clubs.

Went twice last season and enjoyed both visits,nice fans and plenty to eat and drink. First time we went you got a £5 voucher towards food and or drink,worth a visit.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Been a while since weve had the % of population attendance argument.  Well done on brining it back!  Wonder who will be the 1st Cas fan to jump on it.

Well now you come to mention it .................. hahaha. Happy New Year to you all and your families , hope it's a good one

• Haha 1