NRL $63 million operating surplus, net asset position >$200 million

Copa

4 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

The sports earn from broadcast partners what they deserve. Rolling over and blaming the PL and CL for a lower broadcast package isn’t going to improve it.

The governors must improve the product, increase public demand and broaden broadcast competition, then revenue will improve.

Who is rolling over & blaming the Premier League ? The simple facts are there is a certain pot of broadcasting money and that is largely taken up by football mainly through the Premier & Champions league which leaves every other sport fighting over the “scraps”.

Yes the sports governing body should & with IMG’ involvement look to be doing so,but to expect huge increases in funding to rival the NRL’s is pure fantasy.

On 23/02/2023 at 18:30, Eddie said:

1986 Div 1 19.5k, Div 2 7.7k, Div 3 4.5k, Div 4 2.6k. 

2023 Prem 39.9k, 18.3k, 10.4k, 5.5k. 

For what it’s worth, both RL and AFL more than doubled their total attendances in the same period.

NSWRL - 1986 avg 9,708 total 1,514,580

NRL - 2023 avg 16,250 total 3,119,987

then

VFL 1986 avg 22,154 total 2,971,897

AFL 1986 avg 30,871 total 6,112,431

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Who is rolling over & blaming the Premier League ? The simple facts are there is a certain pot of broadcasting money and that is largely taken up by football mainly through the Premier & Champions league which leaves every other sport fighting over the “scraps”.

Yes the sports governing body should & with IMG’ involvement look to be doing so,but to expect huge increases in funding to rival the NRL’s is pure fantasy.

I just take the phrase “fighting over the scraps” to be defeatist. I prefer to consider phrases like “increasing their share”. It may sound like semantics but I think it’s real. Whilst the contracts for the SL may sound like scraps to the PL, to SL, it is what they are worth. 

Any sport, like any business, has the ability to influence a fair commercial outcome based on the supply and demand of their product.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

For what it’s worth, both RL and AFL more than doubled their total attendances in the same period.

Given that the most straightforward comparison in both their territories i with the Premier League then that's not too surprising, really.

Although, as said, it really does undersell the dominance of football in the UK to say it's like the NRL in New South Wales.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I just take the phrase “fighting over the scraps” to be defeatist. I prefer to consider phrases like “increasing their share”. It may sound like semantics but I think it’s real. Whilst the contracts for the SL may sound like scraps to the PL, to SL, it is what they are worth. 

Any sport, like any business, has the ability to influence a fair commercial outcome based on the supply and demand of their product.

Phrase how you like but that’s the face of broadcasting funding in this country & especially SKY who use the Premier League as their subscription source & the rest as schedule fillers.

• Like 1

On 23/02/2023 at 18:22, lucky 7 said:

The advantage of having an accountant as the main man.

They do need to spend more of junior development though to counter the treat of AFL in NSW and QLD

Imagine if they had Dave Smith the banker and a very capable man who was under constant attack from News Ltd who now have their men running their game.

On 23/02/2023 at 18:34, Davo5 said:

But helped hugely by the massive broadcasting revenues available to them,something that the game over here will never be able to accomplish,even with IMG’s involvement.

Exactly, the NRL do not have to compete with the premier league or a healthy rugby union competitor. In states of Australia like Victoria, WA, SA and Tas league is very small.

• Like 1

There is simply no comparison between the NRL and the Premier League!

As strong as the NRL is in Australia it is insignificant compared to the Premier League in every aspect with which you might care to measure them. TV Revenue, Live Attendances, TV Viewing figures, Merchandising, Sponsorship, Global TV Rights, Global Merchandising Revenues, Media Attention, Dedicated Radio Channels, Youth Aspirations, Academy Reach and Engagement, Academy Facilities, Stadia, Government Support etc etc etc. . . 
Then there’s The Championship which would also dwarf the NRL in many ways. 
Even League 1 has clubs that are immense in comparison to NRL Clubs.

The Premier League dwarfs all other Football Competitions across the World and a combination of any 2 maybe even 3 of Europes other main Competitions would not match the EPL.

Rugby Union is very strong in The UK whereas the ARU is bankrupt so the most direct competitors to League doesn’t bear comparison either.

You simply cannot compare the marketplace that the NRL thrives in with that of the SL and then use their relevant success or failures as a stick to beat SL with.

• Like 2

On 23/02/2023 at 06:13, Eddie said:

A well run organisation that plans ahead and protects its future. If only we had that here. 

Yet you read Australian Rugby League forums and they get slagged off a bit and AFL gets the praise for being a well run organisation.

• Like 1

On 23/02/2023 at 10:34, gingerjon said:

I think the interest was always there. People stayed away a lot of the time because they didn't feel safe.

In terms of what English RL can do, I think it's never fair to compare to the NRL because the worlds are so different. I do think there is a lot the RFL are getting wrong and doing badly but it's not as awful as is made out by too many people. And, being positive, I think the start of this season has (club wise at least) seen a lot more positives than negatives.

Years ago I watched a documentary about the history of the EPL and they mentioned they were influenced by Italian Serie A, NFL and Australian Rugby League.

• Like 1

On 23/02/2023 at 07:40, Eddie said:

Those massive broadcasting revenues aren’t by accident tbf. 

To be fair we have had a superb start to the season

However some people love to plunder any negative they can find about our game

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 26/02/2023 at 14:07, rlno1 said:

Imagine if they had Dave Smith the banker and a very capable man who was under constant attack from News Ltd who now have their men running their game.

Lets wait a see before passing judgement on Peter V'landys until the next TV comes along. I hope he's not another David Gallop. A News Corp yes man