IMG Grading Unveiled

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

What do you think Tommy?

I well remember throughout the 80's when my community club ran junior teams from U'6 to U'16 every year not every other year, intermediate age U'17 and U'19 and 3 open age teams, it is not reflective of those numbers today, and in those days we played in winter not summer, and I would say that today the sport is more commercially successful than it was back then, so not reflective.

I think that in the 80s the revenues across the game were lower, attendances were lower, sponsorship was almost wholly reliant on fags and booze which would soon be banned, facilities were already looking aged and there were very few full time employees in the whole game. That's before we look at the economic fate hitting most RL towns at the time and there being little to no other major competitors for attention from either kids or adults.

• Like 2

Just now, glossop saint said:

Let's use improvement since IMG have been involved as proof that we don't need IMG to be involved.

I know. "But its just the clubs acting in their own interests" - of course!!! That is the point - directing self interest to also work for the benefit of the whole sport.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

If the merest hint of "minimum standards" and "grading" has got the clubs here, imagine what IMG's actual impact is when fully engaged.

You are definitely not following what I keep saying Tommy, I can't 'imagine' what IMG's impact will be, simply because I doubt that they will finish what they start.

14 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think that in the 80s the revenues across the game were lower, attendances were lower, sponsorship was almost wholly reliant on fags and booze which would soon be banned, facilities were already looking aged and there were very few full time employees in the whole game. That's before we look at the economic fate hitting most RL towns at the time and there being little to no other major competitors for attention from either kids or adults.

So not reflective then?

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You are definitely not following what I keep saying Tommy, I can't 'imagine' what IMG's impact will be, simply because I doubt that they will finish what they start.

That doesn't make sense to me H sorry.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't believe they have had much influence.

I can't believe that, given your club is the single biggest example of a club that has taken on implementing the "IMG plan". Improved matchdays, a rebrand, squad investment? Have all these passed you by?

Just now, Jughead said:

You don’t think IMG have influenced Derek Beaumont and Leigh?

But he's thick and easily influenced isn't he, I have seen that from many posters on these pages.

Yes I will conceded that he has used IMG's name on occasion, but this rebrand has not happened overnight, would you think that the increase in attendances would have been so good if the team weren't posting the results they are doing?

8 minutes ago, Jughead said:

You don’t think IMG have influenced Derek Beaumont and Leigh?

Even if DB and Leigh have not been influenced by IMG they have visions that have run pretty much parallel with regards to how to run and promote the club. I would have thought that Leigh, and the stats Harry kindly provided earlier, are proof of concept for IMG.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That doesn't make sense to me H sorry.

I don't think they will last the 12 year agreement, if after 3 or 4 years their plans are not working they will either close the book or the SL clubs will go it alone.

Edited by Harry Stottle

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't think they will last the 12 year agreement, if after 3 or 4 years their plans are not working they will either close the book or the SL clubs will go it alone.

That doesn't mean that they aren't doing things now though surely?

13 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

But he's thick and easily influenced isn't he, I have seen that from many posters on these pages.

Yes I will conceded that he has used IMG's name on occasion, but this rebrand has not happened overnight, would you think that the increase in attendances would have been so good if the team weren't posting the results they are doing?

Whilst the results will certainly help, the additions made at Leigh to the matchday experience and event nature of their home games will also play a factor in increased crowds. 

Just now, Jughead said:

Whilst the results will certainly help, the additions made at Leigh to the matchday experience and event nature of their home games will also play a factor in increased crowds. 

IMG have not, and never will, say that getting good results aren't helpful. Indeed they've given a quarter of their grading points to this specifically.

What they are saying, is that doing this, to the detriment of all else, will not be enough. 

36 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The Leigh Leopards rebrand was all down to DB:)

2 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

Even assuming they have not, are IMG not encouraging other clubs to 'do a Leigh'? Is that not we all want all clubs to be doing?

Are they, have IMG actually singled Leigh out as a good example?

Strewth, Derek had better slow down losing his notoriety could plummet him down the popularity stakes.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Are they, have IMG actually singled Leigh out as a good example?

Strewth, Derek had better slow down losing his notoriety could plummet him down the popularity stakes.

Have IMG ever singled out anyone as an example?

I think the popularity comes from how he has done it, not what he has done. Though that is probably a discussion for a separate Leigh specific thread.

Just now, ATLANTISMAN said:

Right now there are 3 clubs that are well ahead of the game in terms of marketing pre match entertainment (And especially with the Dragons VIP hospitality options) 

* Catalans Dragons

* Hull KR

* Leigh Leopards 

Re HKR, I watched the recent game with Hull, and that excuse they used for the pre-match entertainment really was 'Music for the hard of thinking" there was more musicality in a cinder being dragged under a door than in the lead singer.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Re HKR, I watched the recent game with Hull, and that excuse they used for the pre-match entertainment really was 'Music for the hard of thinking" there was more musicality in a cinder being dragged under a door than in the lead singer.

You can hear some decent music here Harry www.atlantisradio.uk