Batley v Featherstone Good Friday

bromleybulldog

7 minutes ago, phildog said:

As I keep saying, and it now appears that some are finally coming round, we need the likes of Milthorpe and Burton playing NOW if they are to be stepping up next season with the liklihood of some retirements. If they keep being ignored and stop coming then we're in the cow mess. We had Connor Carr last season, played him once and Giants took him back as he was supposed to be here for match experience. We let Collinson go, sound player, could have gone on loan and been back here next season. Milthorpe was working away pre Wath Brow, he told me and he has been named in a squad since. Are we so short then that we have to name a bloke who's not trained? We start the season with a small squad, running on not quite a shoestring even, then we seem intent on making things tighter by putting week in week out pressure on 18 or 19 names. Recently there's been a glut of good players on the merry go round, we've got gaps in that already stretched squad and have we had a result? Again, I've said about pace, got laughed at but now somebody expresses their fear that Fev will take advantage of our lack of it! So clearly I'm not the weirdo and moaner you all say then....

How can you throw Burton & Milthorpe in against Fev or Keighley if they haven’t been good enough in pre season? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, phildog said:

As I keep saying, and it now appears that some are finally coming round, we need the likes of Milthorpe and Burton playing NOW if they are to be stepping up next season with the liklihood of some retirements. If they keep being ignored and stop coming then we're in the cow mess. We had Connor Carr last season, played him once and Giants took him back as he was supposed to be here for match experience. We let Collinson go, sound player, could have gone on loan and been back here next season. Milthorpe was working away pre Wath Brow, he told me and he has been named in a squad since. Are we so short then that we have to name a bloke who's not trained? We start the season with a small squad, running on not quite a shoestring even, then we seem intent on making things tighter by putting week in week out pressure on 18 or 19 names. Recently there's been a glut of good players on the merry go round, we've got gaps in that already stretched squad and have we had a result? Again, I've said about pace, got laughed at but now somebody expresses their fear that Fev will take advantage of our lack of it! So clearly I'm not the weirdo and moaner you all say then....

who do you drop?

Morton?

Kear?

Hodgson?

Leak?

You're like Chicken Little.....

and the answer to your last sentence is yes.

I think you might be.

🥱🥱🥱🥱🥱 

• Like 3

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

18 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

Drop the one you’ve not mentioned Buchanan

cant drop the top try scorer 

or maybe McGowan?

he's garbage.

🤣

• Haha 1

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

32 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

Drop the one you’ve not mentioned Buchanan

cant drop the top try scorer 

Top try scorer at this moment in time is Hodson.

No I agree, but my figures include all league games cup matches and any play off's we might be in, as was the last two years.

2 hours ago, phildog said:

Finally someone talking sense, Drop Leaky and Morton now and ģet the young lads in, otherwise we'll be screwed next season. 😬 If we'd all listened to you in 2014 and dropped Jon Davis for Jay Leary and in 2017 dropped Brownie for Trae O'Sullivan we'd be in Superleage now. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, phildog said:

you are like a stuck record, i suggest you go tell tell Linners to move over and you take over as coach, Linners knows what he is doing leave him to it ,as in picking in the team, yes he will know our short comings in having a slim squad and working within those boundaries, and how do you know he hasn't been looking at getting loan players in ???

if Milthorpe hasn't been training due to working away he wont be anywhere near match fit so how can you pick him above others that have been training week in week out and performing well?

• Like 1

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

You've all, purposely as far as I can see, AGAIN, missed the point just to create argument. Where did I say throw them in v Fev? No, I didn't. There have been 2 games v amateurs for instance. I think it's just a case of refute anything that I say. The entire fact is this and it's been said on here by others, (haven't seem them getting pulled down btw) we have an ageing squad from which we could well lose between 5 and 8 players. We need the encouragement of game time for the young ones we already have to stop them wanting away. How long will the coaches wait? Difficult, if we continue current form and climb the table further and get in the play-offs more difficult than ever to nake the decision, if they wait and we go the wrong way in the table then do we hope that the regulars turn it round? Do we bring in fresh blood who could revitalise or plunge the team further. Then fans will blame the incomers even though they won't have had any contribution to the plunge. I know how difficult it is, but for those who say 'well, they're obviously not thought good enough to include' I'd ask why are they here then? I'm not bringing anyone down but questioning the advanced thinking. We did amazingly well in 2021 in making the semis with the same bunch, that same bunch knocked everything out of the park in 2022 and already in 2023 we're putting even more pressure on them to achieve again even though each and every man has enough pressure in having 2 more years age on them, the increased recovery times from injury, perhaps inward pressure asking when are the kids going to get me a bit longer. We basically brought in the absolute minimum of new players, one on loan who can disappear in a blink, if we lose a lump of the  squad how are we going to bring in half a dozen new ones next year going by the fact that recently the movement market has been exceptionally busy yet nobody has come here to fill the blanks which Linners purposely left empty for this exact occurrence? If it's the same record as folk say, then so be it, if you're happy enough to see other clubs who we've been used to beating starting to fly, then so be it. If the general agreement is that we start each season being happy to avoid relegation (often said, and not just by fans) then so be it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, phildog said:

You've all, purposely as far as I can see, AGAIN, missed the point just to create argument. Where did I say throw them in v Fev? No, I didn't. There have been 2 games v amateurs for instance. I think it's just a case of refute anything that I say. The entire fact is this and it's been said on here by others, (haven't seem them getting pulled down btw) we have an ageing squad from which we could well lose between 5 and 8 players. We need the encouragement of game time for the young ones we already have to stop them wanting away. How long will the coaches wait? Difficult, if we continue current form and climb the table further and get in the play-offs more difficult than ever to nake the decision, if they wait and we go the wrong way in the table then do we hope that the regulars turn it round? Do we bring in fresh blood who could revitalise or plunge the team further. Then fans will blame the incomers even though they won't have had any contribution to the plunge. I know how difficult it is, but for those who say 'well, they're obviously not thought good enough to include' I'd ask why are they here then? I'm not bringing anyone down but questioning the advanced thinking. We did amazingly well in 2021 in making the semis with the same bunch, that same bunch knocked everything out of the park in 2022 and already in 2023 we're putting even more pressure on them to achieve again even though each and every man has enough pressure in having 2 more years age on them, the increased recovery times from injury, perhaps inward pressure asking when are the kids going to get me a bit longer. We basically brought in the absolute minimum of new players, one on loan who can disappear in a blink, if we lose a lump of the  squad how are we going to bring in half a dozen new ones next year going by the fact that recently the movement market has been exceptionally busy yet nobody has come here to fill the blanks which Linners purposely left empty for this exact occurrence? If it's the same record as folk say, then so be it, if you're happy enough to see other clubs who we've been used to beating starting to fly, then so be it. If the general agreement is that we start each season being happy to avoid relegation (often said, and not just by fans) then so be it.

Just a couple of thing's I don't agree with, I don't believe that the players and coaching staff of any team start the season just wanting to avoid relegation, it is a tough division and I reckon most if not all teams hope and start off wanting a top 6 finish including batley, also we all know we don't have the finance's too go out and spend willy nilly on loads of players, I'm sure  linners would love a budget of half a million and take his pick of all the top players but he can't! we don't know what constraints linners works under or even what ££ players are asking for besides just going out and spending loads of money on top players doesn't always work as some teams have found out over the years! I do agree partly with giving players a run out in cup games but that brings it's own problems too! Resting players isn't always an option he wants them to stay match fit, If you for instance give Burton and Milnthorpe a run out and they have an absolute blinder then they would expect to be in the team the week after not dropped again, how would that make them feel?the team he's putting out is doing the job at the moment and as most teams do they keep that team on the field, he can only pick 17 players every week so I'm sure he has to disappoint players every week and players understand that it's part of the coarse and if every player took his bat and ball home every week there wouldn't be any teams left! It's alright us peeing and moaning on here about what linners should and shouldn't do he has a team of players and he has to manage them the way he sees best! 

Edited by The scrim reaper

As I did say late on in the piece. I just like to look a little further than the end of my nose! Anyway, I'll say no more. (WHO said that'll be the day?).

8 minutes ago, phildog said:

As I did say late on in the piece. I just like to look a little further than the end of my nose! Anyway, I'll say no more. (WHO said that'll be the day?).

Unfortunately phildog some teams can't afford to look any further than the end of there nose no matter how big it is! they have to concentrate on the here and now! 

12 hours ago, The scrim reaper said:

I don't believe that the players and coaching staff of any team start the season just wanting to avoid relegation.

Unlike their fans. Trouble with you lot is you’ve been spoilt. 😉😊

11 hours ago, The scrim reaper said:
Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

46 minutes ago, grumpyoldram said:

Unlike their fans. Trouble with you lot is you’ve been spoilt. 😉😊

I think the vast majority of sound thinking fans at Mount Pleasant know last year was an extremely enjoyable,but ultimately freakish season that will probably never be repeated.

I believe just avoiding being dragged nto the relegation mire and hopefully picking up a few good wins against top 6 hopefuls will constitute a good season.

for me anyway.

but really hope Milthorpe gets a game or two before the season ends......🤫

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, il cattivo said:

I think the vast majority of sound thinking fans at Mount Pleasant know last year was an extremely enjoyable,but ultimately freakish season that will probably never be repeated.

I believe just avoiding being dragged nto the relegation mire and hopefully picking up a few good wins against top 6 hopefuls will constitute a good season.

for me anyway.

but really hope Milthorpe gets a game or two before the season ends......🤫

What is about batley that no matter what they do they never get the recognition they deserve! Since 2010 batley have been one of the most consistent teams in the championship, northern rail cup winners, middle 8 qualifiers, semi final 2021 grandfinal 2022, any one think of a team with a  better if not similar record over those years? And you believe batley will be happy with a couple of good wins against  some top six sides! And avoid relegation, What a joke! Let me assure you many teams will see beating batley this season as a big scalp! Not just two points from a team hoping to avoid relegation! 

21 minutes ago, The scrim reaper said:

What is about batley that no matter what they do they never get the recognition they deserve! Since 2010 batley have been one of the most consistent teams in the championship, northern rail cup winners, middle 8 qualifiers, semi final 2021 grandfinal 2022, any one think of a team with a  better if not similar record over those years? And you believe batley will be happy with a couple of good wins against  some top six sides! And avoid relegation, What a joke! Let me assure you many teams will see beating batley this season as a big scalp! Not just two points from a team hoping to avoid relegation! 

Read what I said. 

I (as in me) would be happy with a nice couple,or more,wins against top 6 opposition and avoiding the relegation struggle.

However the opposition is not my concern.

they can think what they want. 

and indeed the club itself may have higher goals,but I'm just enjoying the ride,with the certain knowledge of watching the club for 40 odd years,that things will not be this good on the pitch for ever.

that's just the way things go.

don't s##t your pants. 

52 minutes ago, il cattivo said:

Read what I said. 

I (as in me) would be happy with a nice couple,or more,wins against top 6 opposition and avoiding the relegation struggle.

However the opposition is not my concern.

they can think what they want. 

and indeed the club itself may have higher goals,but I'm just enjoying the ride,with the certain knowledge of watching the club for 40 odd years,that things will not be this good on the pitch for ever.

that's just the way things go.

don't s##t your pants. 

You obviously don't count your own team as a top 6 team dispite overall finishing 2nd last year, (shitehawk!) so who is the top 6 opposition your talking about? Despite the season only being 7 weeks old,  and us sitting in 7th on joint points with ,4,5,6,

Edited by The scrim reaper

1 hour ago, phildog said:

McGowan, garbage? Beats anything I might say hands down.

I give up.....🤣🤣🤣🤣

that just about Says it all really. 

Are you and the scrim reaper taking turns with the brain cell?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

From memory, McGowan has dropped 1 kick, up at Whitehaven on a muddy surface and a greasy ball. Covers the width of the field in his defending, has grown into getting involved in the line and scored a couple. What more do you want from a fullback? He isn't meant to be another Hooley, he's McGowan a different type of player, different stature and will perform differently but with the same application. Now that Hooley's back he MIGHT have to sit out a couple of games but he'll watch and learn. He's 21, Hooley wasn't the Hooley we got to know, couldn't get a game at Dewsbury even and how many of us said when he came 'we've got Scotty, why do we need to bring this kid in'? Look what he became. McGowan isn't on Giants books because he's no good. They want him fashioning and trust Linners as a fullback himself to do the fashioning. 

8 hours ago, phildog said:

From memory, McGowan has dropped 1 kick, up at Whitehaven on a muddy surface and a greasy ball. Covers the width of the field in his defending, has grown into getting involved in the line and scored a couple. What more do you want from a fullback? He isn't meant to be another Hooley, he's McGowan a different type of player, different stature and will perform differently but with the same application. Now that Hooley's back he MIGHT have to sit out a couple of games but he'll watch and learn. He's 21, Hooley wasn't the Hooley we got to know, couldn't get a game at Dewsbury even and how many of us said when he came 'we've got Scotty, why do we need to bring this kid in'? Look what he became. McGowan isn't on Giants books because he's no good. They want him fashioning and trust Linners as a fullback himself to do the fashioning. 

You're wasting a heck of a lot of energy arguing with yourself. The comment you're so upset by was pure sarcasm, ignore it and move on.