Salford fan shares and financial issues.

So when this £100k is quickly spent (probably not on fulfilling their rent obligations), what next?

For context, this one-off donation amounts to the ticket receipts for 1 game.

Edited by dboy

Looks like a desperate attempt to raise some funds to me. Something just feels a little off with Salford. 

Silly 8 year deal with their prize halfback, releasing Lannon & Sarginson. They want £250k in funding and that was the rumoured amount they wanted in transfer fee from NRL teams for Croft. Last ditch loan from the council to keep their tenants paying?

When someone remortgaged their home on a sports club that in itself almost sounds like desperation.

They have no chance of hitting the required number and what then? Which player is next out the door to try and balance the books?

All this with nearly 3M in accrued debt.

I hope I’m wrong but this stinks of Bradford.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dboy said:

So when this £100k is quickly spent (probably not on fulfilling their rent obligations), what next?

Another bucket collection?

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

6 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

Bit overly simplistic - maybe it's easier to raise money and build support for a club that is showing some ambition?  I would bet that they are still nowhere near the cap.

Good luck SRD.

All I can say FTV is you must love standing out like a sore thumb!

SRD were one of the few I've seen to far to put the news that Physical Disability is on at the magic Weekend once again. And their Arise vid shows inclusivity and fanbase is at the heart of all this.

But for some good news is not news.

https://deviltalk.co.uk/thread/3173/salford-devils-community-share-scheme?page=1

As I keep saying hear it from SRD fans themselves before you speak for them.

Edited by Oxford

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, dboy said:

Didn't the Bulls organise an Auction back in the day?  Seem to recall around £500k being raised.

• Like 2

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

2 hours ago, binosh said:

Silly 8 year deal with their prize halfback

Wasn't this deal done so they'd get a transfer fee? No one actually thinks he'll be there in 8 years. If so it's smart buisness isn't it?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OnStrike said:

Wasn't this deal done so they'd get a transfer fee? No one actually thinks he'll be there in 8 years. If so it's smart buisness isn't it?

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

But for some good news is not news.

😉

7 hours ago, dboy said:

Dboy,

You remind me of something an old boss said to me when I was very young, he said:

'Pete, take my advice and never, ever walk away from somebody who is negative in attitude......k'in run!'

Byyyyyyyyeeeeeeeee

• Haha 1

'The Invisble Man is at the door'.     'Tell him I can't see him'.      The late, great Tommy Cooper

SRD offer nothing positive in this matter, though I didn't actually make a negative statement - I asked a neutral question that maybe you want to answer...

When this £100k is spent, what happens next?

Again I can't confirm this, but SRD have hit another milestone in their efforts and it seems to be going quite well for them.

Goes to show you never can tell!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dboy said:

SRD offer nothing positive in this matter, though I didn't actually make a negative statement - I asked a neutral question that maybe you want to answer...

When this £100k is spent, what happens next?

You could read the documents on the Crowdfunder page? They're there at the very bottom and should tell you everything you need to know. 

• Like 2

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

2 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

You could read the documents on the Crowdfunder page? They're there at the very bottom and should tell you everything you need to know. 

That's a bold assumption Keith, people wanting to know stuff before they post next you'll be asking them to think before they type!

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

That's a bold assumption Keith, people wanting to know stuff before they post next you'll be asking them to think before they type!

We don't need forums then do we.

I assert that this one-off fundraiser is spent and not replaceable. 

Feel free to answer the question posed, rather than obfuscate. 

3 hours ago, dboy said:

obfuscate. 

Ooooooh get you! obfuscate.

And to think all this time I didn't realise we had The Rt Hon Jacob Rees-Mogg MP in da house!

3 hours ago, dboy said:

Feel free to answer the question posed

3 hours ago, dboy said:

We don't need forums then do we?

Okay, Do we need forums? .... it a tough one !

Philosophically I suppose it depends what you mean by forum and should also include some discussion of the word NEED.

And do forums with all their problems and issues like lack of agreement or the inability to come to any kind of conclusion or even accord or unity serve any purpose other than airing grievances ?

In a purely utilitarian sense I think it's good that people at least feel they're communicating, part of a shared community and have shared ideas and goals that go with that,  so don't feel lonely and yet manage to improve their typing skills.

And do we categorically believe that agreement or shared ideas or goals are in themselves "good" things?

In the end like three year olds and Smarties when we say we need forums what we really mean is we want them not that we need them.

I hope that clears it up for you, Jacob.

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

This is a quote

"Over 400 Investors now in the Salford Red Devils RLFC Community Share Scheme......"

it's for those who wish SRD and TGG well and also those who applaud efforts to change things.

20 minutes ago, Oxford said:

it's for those who wish SRD and TGG well and also those who applaud efforts to change things.

Well, that would depend on to what it is intended to change things.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Well, that would depend on to what it is intended to change things.

I think that's obvious in so many ways Griff but if you take a look at Devil Talk you will see SRD fans energised and doing their bit and for all RL clubs that can only be a good change. I have a feeling though I can't say for certain that this increasing SRD's footprint and that's not too bad a difference. Apparently again I can't confirm but 400 people and groups now own shares in the Red devils and that seems a reasonable innovation. There's probably quite a bit more but you'd have to ask the right people to find out what they are.

33 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I think that's obvious in so many ways Griff but if you take a look at Devil Talk you will see SRD fans energised and doing their bit and for all RL clubs that can only be a good change. I have a feeling though I can't say for certain that this increasing SRD's footprint and that's not too bad a difference. Apparently again I can't confirm but 400 people and groups now own shares in the Red devils and that seems a reasonable innovation. There's probably quite a bit more but you'd have to ask the right people to find out what they are.

It's great mood talk and good to see the fan base re-engaging with the the club.

The £100k it has raised is lovely, but when that's spent, what's next?

When you have the fans share money, that income stream is exhausted - I have my share, you have my money = end of transaction/end of fundraising from that source. 

How does the share scheme sustain SRD?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dboy said:

It's great mood talk and good to see the fan base re-engaging with the the club.

When you have the fans share money, that income stream is exhausted - I have my share, you have my money = end of transaction/end of fundraising from that source. 

Exactly. It’s a good short term strategy for raising a bit of money fairly quickly. But beyond that…what? Even if they raise the £250k, (which is good) what difference is this going to make? 
Are they going to ask the same people to contribute next year? 

I’m definitely not Alan Sugar or Richard Branson but it’s absolutely not a good business plan. There is no strategy beyond asking for money from fans. 

• Like 1

It's an odd feeling for me generally on here. When I think of my beliefs about opinions and expressing them, and my adherence to RL as a sport and it's fans as, for want of a better phrase "my People", to arrive at a point where I simply don't see the point of engaging in any meaningful way with many of them.

I know there's a tendency for all RL fans to be doom and gloom at times and to be ultra-negative the other 50% but it just gets a bit waring and depressing to be honest.

To all intents and purposes, whatever else SRD as a club, are up to, their innovation in this case will answer many of the points IMG have raised about the sport. 

If SRD do go out of business after their efforts so be it; At least they won't have died without trying. And to be frank why should it bother anyone who isn't an SRD fan if they do try and then become defunct?

It could also be argued that IMG's changes may see off quite a few clubs as it does sound like a downsizing and cost cutting exercise in the best management traditions.

So to those who don't get a response from me to their questions it's because you're on mute.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dboy said:

Community Share Offer Document

Business Plan

Again, I implore you to read what they are actually saying to get the answers to the questions you keep asking. You might believe their plans not to be realistic, that wouldn't be an unreasonable critique, but making out like they're just asking for 250k as if it's a bucket collection isn't a fair representation. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 hour ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Business Plan

Again, I implore you to read what they are actually saying to get the answers to the questions you keep asking. You might believe their plans not to be realistic, that wouldn't be an unreasonable critique, but making out like they're just asking for 250k as if it's a bucket collection isn't a fair representation. 

I am unsure why you're taking the time and making the effort here but I do applaud you for trying.

As an aside I do wonder if the Bulls had followed a similar route how that story might have worked out though I think that might be wishful thinking because I want all our clubs to be okay and even do well. I know, silly isn't it!

1 hour ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Business Plan

Seriously though,what difference do you realistically think a one off collection of £250k is going to make, beyond the obvious firefighting? 

It's pretty much like borrowing your mortgage payment from your brother this month. Great, he's saved your R's this month but it's not a long term plan, however you dress it up. 

This is while wishing all the best for Salford. 

Why would SRD go under?

Worst case they cut a few costs and then they need to likely finish ahead of Fev next season to stay up (i'm ignoring Hull jokes).

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

Why would SRD go under?

Worst case they cut a few costs and then they need to likely finish ahead of Fev next season to stay up (i'm ignoring Hull jokes).

It was an "if" Leonard and really just for those who keep posting dire doom messages and little else.

Being a fan run club is a dicey gamble and if it comes off will be quite an achievement and if they get enough backing it could prove to be the making of their aspirations and ambitions.

It's fascinating that among other clubs on here SRD have been bashed for years for lacking ambition and now it's a case of curbing them.

Sounds very much like a lose lose job to me.