David Fifita 12 Hudson Young
Patrick Carrigan 13 Isaah Yeo
Bench
Harry Grant 14 Junior Paulo
Tino Fa’asuamaleaui 15 Cameron Murray
Reuben Cotter 16 Liam Martin
Jai Arrow 17 Nicho Hynes

Key points.

Ponga dropped, his concussion scare on the weekend was probably the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Luai holds NSW #6 jersey and reigning Dally M Medalist Nicho Hynes jumps into #14.

Koroisau retains NSW #9 after recent turn of form and fortunes for Wests Tigers.

Tyson Frizell returns to NSW squad as a starter.

Two evenly matched teams.

I don't support either of the teams and to be perfectly honest, since the sanitisation of State of Origin (not saying it shouldn't have happened), I don't enjoy the games as much.

But they are top quality Rugby League so I will be tuning in.

As is usual, NSW look slightly better on paper which means Queensland will probably win.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

30 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I don't support either of the teams and to be perfectly honest, since the sanitisation of State of Origin (not saying it should have happened), I don't enjoy the games as much.

As is usual, NSW look slightly better on paper but have Fittler as coach which means Queensland will probably win.

Corrected it for you 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I don't support either of the teams and to be perfectly honest, since the sanitisation of State of Origin (not saying it should have happened), I don't enjoy the games as much.

As is usual, NSW look slightly better on paper which means Queensland will probably win.

Interested to hear what you mean by sanitisation of SOO?

24 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Corrected it for you 🙂

True

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Interested to hear what you mean by sanitisation of SOO?

Have you watched State of Orgin?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Have you watched State of Orgin?

Yes, but this doesn’t help me understand what you mean.

Over complicated playing structures?

Including players who choose to represent countries other than Australia?

No more biff? No more hatred?

Not allowing Qld fans to throw full beer cans at the NSW players?

I was just interested to know what you mean by sanitised. The likelihood is I will agree with you.

Personally, my affection for SOO has never been lower. I hate that non Australia players are being selected and the loud voices over the past few years who have called for the likes of Taumalolo to be included.

I really miss the aggression and the dust ups. I love a good punch up in SOO.

I hate how SOO drives conversation from week 1 of the NRL season by the lazy RL journalists.

I dislike how the series is so disruptive to the NRL season and the club sides that turn out on three weekends of the season. I wish the NRL could find a way to play the series over three consecutive weekends alongside an international window.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yes, but this doesn’t help me understand what you mean.

Over complicated playing structures?

Including players who choose to represent countries other than Australia?

No more biff? No more hatred?

Not allowing Qld fans to throw full beer cans at the NSW players?

I was just interested to know what you mean by sanitised. The likelihood is I will agree with you.

Personally, my affection for SOO has never been lower. I hate that non Australia players are being selected and the loud voices over the past few years who have called for the likes of Taumalolo to be included.

I hate how SOO drives conversation from week 1 of the NRL season by the lazy RL journalists.

I dislike how the series is so disruptive to the NRL season and the club sides that turn out on three weekends of the season. I wish the NRL could find a way to play the series over three consecutive weekends alongside an international window.

I was personally referring to the lacknof biff.  Of course we can't have it any more and I get that.  But I would be lying if I said I didn't miss the extra edge these games had.

But I think the fact that the game now has representatives from many test playing nations also diminishes something. 

• Like 1

I do think SOO is not as exciting as it used to be, it has lost that edge and needle. These days to me it just feels like a very, very high quality NRL game with some fantastic players. Noting wrong with that of course but it is certainly more sanitised than it used to be.

• Like 2

They should just have a bench clearing all in brawl in the first 5 minutes.

If they ban them all then pick two new teams and do it all again in game 2.

And then two new teams in game 3.

Will see which State has the best strength in depth anyway.

• Like 1

Big Tino and Haas have got a bit of history and Collins and Pangai Jr are known to have the odd brain fart when it comes to discipline - so there is a chance we could see a bit of niggle. I agree overall though, it's lost something - Rabs on commentary will never be matched for these games and for me it's never felt the same since he hung up the mic. I think socially as well, sports fans aren't as impassioned for genuine rivalry anymore - they just care who has the best team and then moan online when said best team loses. 

• Like 1

I don’t know , Freddies selections sometimes look a bit odd and confused . Obviously a strategy to put some of his best on the bench . Im not abig fan of Luai tbh and Pangai is a space cadet a lot of the time so we’ll see how that works out . I thought Klemmer may have got that spot . I like the Maroons set up personally 

8 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I don’t know , Freddies selections sometimes look a bit odd and confused . Obviously a strategy to put some of his best on the bench . Im not abig fan of Luai tbh and Pangai is a space cadet a lot of the time so we’ll see how that works out . I thought Klemmer may have got that spot . I like the Maroons set up personally 

I'm pleased he has gone for two proper edge forwards though rather than shifting Cam Murray there.  I am sure the NSW game plan will be a high paced game with carries from the back 3 getting sets off to a good start and then the likes of Murray injecting pace around the ruck later in each half as the big Queensland forwards tire.

Not carrying a second recognised dummy half in the 17 could haunt them though. No matter how good Koroisau is, this is where Queensland have the edge in the Hunt and Grant rotation.

25 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'm pleased he has gone for two proper edge forwards though rather than shifting Cam Murray there.  I am sure the NSW game plan will be a high paced game with carries from the back 3 getting sets off to a good start and then the likes of Murray injecting pace around the ruck later in each half as the big Queensland forwards tire.

Not carrying a second recognised dummy half in the 17 could haunt them though. No matter how good Koroisau is, this is where Queensland have the edge in the Hunt and Grant rotation.

With Hynes on the bench, I presume Luai will switch to dummy half at some point...............not ideal though. If it wasn't for his relationship with Cleary, Luai wouldn't get in the side on current form

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

With Hynes on the bench, I presume Luai will switch to dummy half at some point...............not ideal though. If it wasn't for his relationship with Cleary, Luai wouldn't get in the side on current form

It isn't ideal.  As well as distribution, whoever goes into dummy half also has to defend in the middle which Luai certainly isn't used too.

Feels to me like he has just bottled the decision to pick an in form Hynes instead of Luai and decided to go with both in the 17 but they are both playmakers and he hasn't got the flexibility that Slater has with Hunt and Grant with Hunt just as good in 9 both in attack and defence. 

19 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Luai has the great skill of running around looking busy without really doing very much a lot of the time . 

• Like 1

Those benches certainly highlight how rugby league is a 17 man game and to a degree  impact from the bench can be as significant as anything else . Given that I struggle with Cameron Murray not being a starter , I know he can give away a penalty but I think he’s got just about everything 

6 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Corrected it for you 🙂

Can't believe they have persevered with Fittler for so long.  He is a really poor coach.

• Like 1