Will Leigh win something this year?

Will Leigh win something?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Will Leigh win something?

3 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I agree,he gets some stick but has been a breathe of fresh air in SL.Some of owners,directors and shareholders of SL clubs don't even try something different.

Derek will be the first person to Congratulate Mark Campbell should Fev get over the line this year. 

Some clubs in SL have just rolled with it, took the cash and moved on with little Inspiration or imagination. 

Fev will be fine, but the will be other local clubs really scrapping themselves next season should Fev go up and take a leap of faith. 

Stand still and you will be being the 8 ball before you know it. The clubs who have dominated for so long really need to up their game! 

10 hours ago, Damien said:

Whilst I have spoken out previously against Leigh on this, and still think they have been wrong in the past, I do blame the game's weak administration for these failings too. Doing the basics, reserves, academy etc should be the basics when it comes to the minimum standards of a top flight competition and it shouldn't be up to the whim of individual clubs. You meet the standards or you aren't in SL. And yes I do appreciate the issues Leigh are now having in wanting an academy etc.

Oh absolutely agree, it's a shambles that the governing body isn't aware that a member club has no intention of running a reserves side.

It should have been obvious weeks ago but instead they allow Leigh to forfeit games instead.

26 minutes ago, meast said:

Oh absolutely agree, it's a shambles that the governing body isn't aware that a member club has no intention of running a reserves side.

It should have been obvious weeks ago but instead they allow Leigh to forfeit games instead.

How do you know who was and wasn't aware?

12 hours ago, meast said:

That very same club had every intention of running an Elite academy side, a General Manager, Coaching Staff and £400K was apportioned to it by the club, but Rimmer and his Boys said NO, perhaps that is why there was some leeway given in the reserves topic.

An eye for an eye eh Beasty, and if I was Mr Beaumont unless the Elite Academy status is granted I would say Feck your reserves, there is nothing as far as I am aware in the IMG criteria pertaining to reserve teams, so save or utilise the money that other teams save on Club Trained which is through the academies and spend it on first team players, fair enough?

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Damien said:

Whilst I have spoken out previously against Leigh on this, and still think they have been wrong in the past, I do blame the game's weak administration for these failings too. Doing the basics, reserves, academy etc should be the basics when it comes to the minimum standards of a top flight competition and it shouldn't be up to the whim of individual clubs. You meet the standards or you aren't in SL. And yes I do appreciate the issues Leigh are now having in wanting an academy etc.

Personally I don't agree that a promoted club that has not had the opportunity of addition funding that a SL club gets should be expected to immediately run an academy or reserves teams.  Especially when in this case Leigh were not allowed by RFL to run an academy and hence not getting benefit of own developed players, which would take years to bear fruit.

Leigh effectively have hand tied behind their back when it comes to managing the salary cap which ultimately impacts team performance.

Edited by redjonn
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

Personally I don't agree that a promoted club that has not had the opportunity of addition funding that a SL club gets should be expected to immediately run an academy or reserves teams.  Especially when in this case Leigh were not allowed by RFL to run an academy and hence not getting benefit of own developed players, which would take years to bear fruit.

Leigh effectively have hand tied behind their back when it comes to managing the salary cap which ultimately impacts team performance.

It should also be noted that the reserves system of the past few years has been exclusively for SL clubs and those with Cat 1 academy licenses, if Leigh hadn't got it right on the field this year and gone back down we'd have likely been kicked straight back out of the reserves league and the 20-odd players we'd have had to bring in to fulfil fixtures would be back out searching for clubs. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here's comment from the RFL on the matter, hopefully this should draw a line under things.

"We have agreed with Leigh that it would be counterproductive for them to field a Reserves team before they have the infrastructure in place - also bearing in mind the impact it would have on the community game," an RFL spokesperson told rugbyleaguehub.com Long Reads.

"They are working on a player pathway solution, and discussions are continuing on whether they will be in a position to play Reserves matches this year - although they would almost certainly be outside the existing competition structure."

• Thanks 1

On 05/06/2023 at 21:02, LeytherRob said:

How do you know who was and wasn't aware?

Leigh were given fixtures and a place in the competition, I doubt that had Leigh told the RFL of their intention to not run a team, they wouldn't have been included in the fixture list and the competition table.

Leigh were expected to be running a reserves side as are all SL clubs.

On 06/06/2023 at 09:06, Harry Stottle said:

That very same club had every intention of running an Elite academy side, a General Manager, Coaching Staff and £400K was apportioned to it by the club, but Rimmer and his Boys said NO, perhaps that is why there was some leeway given in the reserves topic.

An eye for an eye eh Beasty, and if I was Mr Beaumont unless the Elite Academy status is granted I would say Feck your reserves, there is nothing as far as I am aware in the IMG criteria pertaining to reserve teams, so save or utilise the money that other teams save on Club Trained which is through the academies and spend it on first team players, fair enough?

That it entirely Leigh and Mr Beaumont's prerogative to not run a side, but they would have been better informing the governing body that that was their intention rather than just not turn up to games and forfeit them.

Although I do believe that ALL SUPER LEAGUE CLUBS are expected, as condition of membership of SL, to run a reserves side regardless of elite academy status.

Why were Leigh denied an elite academy license in the first place?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, meast said:

That it entirely Leigh and Mr Beaumont's prerogative to not run a side, but they would have been better informing the governing body that that was their intention rather than just not turn up to games and forfeit them.

Although I do believe that ALL SUPER LEAGUE CLUBS are expected, as condition of membership of SL, to run a reserves side regardless of elite academy status.

Why were Leigh denied an elite academy license in the first place?

How long have you got ? 

• Haha 1

On 06/06/2023 at 13:48, LeytherRob said:

Here's comment from the RFL on the matter, hopefully this should draw a line under things.

"We have agreed with Leigh that it would be counterproductive for them to field a Reserves team before they have the infrastructure in place - also bearing in mind the impact it would have on the community game," an RFL spokesperson told rugbyleaguehub.com Long Reads.

"They are working on a player pathway solution, and discussions are continuing on whether they will be in a position to play Reserves matches this year - although they would almost certainly be outside the existing competition structure."

It would probably have helped, Leigh especially if they had bothered to put this into practice before Leigh forfeited games.

The RFL have to take some of the blame for the shambles, as was alluded to earlier, they haven't been strong enough or clear enough on what's expected and left it up to clubs.

Maybe other clubs could save £75k by not bothering in future?

Anyway, time to move on, I reckon the gobblers run will come to an end this weekend 🙂 

59 minutes ago, meast said:

It would probably have helped, Leigh especially if they had bothered to put this into practice before Leigh forfeited games.

The RFL have to take some of the blame for the shambles, as was alluded to earlier, they haven't been strong enough or clear enough on what's expected and left it up to clubs.

Maybe other clubs could save £75k by not bothering in future?

Anyway, time to move on, I reckon the gobblers run will come to an end this weekend 🙂 

Very true, that must be half a seasons worth of gate receipts to Huddersfield at the prices they charge. Get your suggestion in to Ken Davy.