Test your knowledge of "Ullspeak"...

I thought most of these were common throughout the UK but perhaps not.

A. What is Tenfoot? : 1. A unit of measurement 2. A shoe size 3. An alley behind a house

B. What does 'Baine' mean? 1. An Italian pasta dish 2. A young child 3. A type of hairstyle, similar to a braid

C. What is Breadcake? 1. A confectionary item often found at weddings 2. A bread roll used for sandwiches 3. A milkshake made from both bread and cake

D. What is Mafting? 1. When it’s too hot 2. When you fold up a map 3. When you leave work early

E. What is Twagging? 1. When you gather twigs used to build a fire 2. When you pay for an item with exact change 3.  When someone skips school

F. What is Croggie? 1. To get a lift on a friends bike 2. To extinguish a fire 3.  To go fishing

G. What does Bray mean? 1. To beat someone up 2. To ride a horse 3. To walk to the shop

H. What is Larkin’? 1. To climb a tree 2. To play out with your friend. 3. To go on holiday

• Like 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

30 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

I thought most of these were common throughout the UK but perhaps not.

A. What is Tenfoot? : 1. A unit of measurement 2. A shoe size 3. An alley behind a house

B. What does 'Baine' mean? 1. An Italian pasta dish 2. A young child 3. A type of hairstyle, similar to a braid

C. What is Breadcake? 1. A confectionary item often found at weddings 2. A bread roll used for sandwiches 3. A milkshake made from both bread and cake

D. What is Mafting? 1. When it’s too hot 2. When you fold up a map 3. When you leave work early

E. What is Twagging? 1. When you gather twigs used to build a fire 2. When you pay for an item with exact change 3.  When someone skips school

F. What is Croggie? 1. To get a lift on a friends bike 2. To extinguish a fire 3.  To go fishing

G. What does Bray mean? 1. To beat someone up 2. To ride a horse 3. To walk to the shop

H. What is Larkin’? 1. To climb a tree 2. To play out with your friend. 3. To go on holiday

B..small child ,G ..beat someone up and H are often used in West Cumbria .

Larking though is more like messing about or joking around.

1 hour ago, yanto said:

B..small child ,G ..beat someone up and H are often used in West Cumbria .

Larking though is more like messing about or joking around.

Indeed, bain is just the Hull variation of the Old Norse word for a child that you hear in several parts of Northern England and Scotland.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

• A3
  • B2 - similar to Bairn in the north east
  • C2 - should be teacake though 😉
  • D1
  • E3 (guess, other places call it wagging)
  • F1 ?
  • G1
  • H2
Edited by Derwent

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

11 minutes ago, Derwent said:
  • A3
  • B2 - similar to Bairn in the north east
  • C2 - should be teacake though 😉
  • D1
  • E3 (guess, other places call it wagging)
  • F1 ?
  • G1
  • H2

Correct, it's from the word crossbar and giving somebody a croggie is a lot less work than giving them a seater.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Just now, Ullman said:

Correct, it's from the word crossbar and giving somebody a croggie is a lot less work than giving them a seater.

A crossy and a backy round here.

• Like 1

Bray means to beat someone up in Hull speak.

Is tansad a common UK word?

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

6 hours ago, jacksy said:

When I was a bain me mam used to bool me on road in a tansad.

Edited by Ullman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

When I was a bain me mam used to bool me on rerd in a tansad.

Edited for "EastUllspeak"

• Haha 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

16 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

A tea cake has bits in it.

What you’re looking for is a flourcake.

Next you’ll be asking what a guinnel is!

No idea what a guinnel is, is it the same as a ginnel ?

9 hours ago, jacksy said:

I would say 'No', Jacksy, in that I have neither used it nor heard it wherever I have lived.  I realise the collective life experience of the country's population is a wee bit greater than mine, but am fairly confident in my reply to your question!  Maybe it was once widespread, only to fall out of use in most places, but not Hull.

Incidentally - and going back to the original list of words posted here - I would have thought that, in a specifically Hull context, 'Larkin' was a poet laureate...but as ever, I stand to be corrected!

• Like 1

My first and most memorable encounter with the Hull accent came when I worked at Northallerton county hall.  A new member of staff joined our team round about 1970; he was called Dave Gardiner and had married a girl called Rose (who thus became Rose Gardiner - I kid you not!)

We quickly discovered we shared a common interest in ornithology.  One Monday morning he told me that he had been to Spain for the weekend to do some birdwatching.  I was impressed by such dedication, but found it mildly implausible, given the likely cost of such a trip.

"Spain?" I said.  "No" he replied, "Spain"  Eventually, we mutually established that he had been to Spurn....for one thing, a bit cheaper to get to than Spain!

• Haha 4