Fri 30th Jun: SL: Wigan Warriors v Huddersfield Giants KO 20:00

Who will win?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Huddersfield Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/06/23 at 19:30

Last week could have been the real kick up the backside we(the players) needed to start being a more professional and start and get some professional and personal pride back.

Or it could be the penny still hasn't dropped with some of them.

Fenton Rodgers named in the squad recalled from his loan rattling buckets, it would be interesting to see how he goes against Wigan's supposedly weak pack if he gets game time, he's a bit of a rough un is the lad!

I'm pretty sure there will be a reaction from Huddersfield. Just pin Garry Schofield's latest column up in the dressing room if they are somehow in need of any more motivation.

Huddersfield aren't a bad side and have plenty of dangerous players in the team and I'm pretty sure Friday night will be yet another 'surprise' result in a fairly unpredictable season.

Wigan have got better in recent weeks after a bad run but there's still a lot of improvement to be made. I'm not sure we're at a point where we can overcome teams that come at us with a lot more enthusiasm and motivation. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TrueBull said:

You’ve recalled Fenton Rodgers which leaves us a little light. He has been consistent in the Championship probably getting 7/10 or 8/10 most weeks. Whether that translates back to SL, who knows?

About time in my opinion, Fenton is young, talented, hungry and eager, i'd rather give him a shot than some underperforming 30+ year old.

On 28/06/2023 at 10:35, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Wigan by a lot, crowd 9835.

a lot of free tickets for this game "blue night" 11200 the 200 being hudds fans.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

10 hours ago, my missus said:

a lot of free tickets for this game "blue night" 11200 the 200 being hudds fans.

200? we wouldn't take that many if it was free!!

ok we probably would.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, meast said:

Injured again, I think.

Quad injury picked up in Leeds game pre warm up.

Still played throught it but didn't kick as much and ran the ball more.

Not as serious as first thought.

• Like 1

Just saw some highlights. Anyone got any idea why Giants played in their home kit of all maroon against a side wearing almost all dark red, instead of their ideally designed *away* kit of almost entirely all white?

How many times does this unprofessional nonsense have to happen before the RFL get a grip? It just takes a 5 minute check and an email to each club, once per season 🙄

• Like 5

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

9 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Just saw some highlights. Anyone got any idea why Giants played in their home kit of all maroon against a side wearing almost all dark red, instead of their ideally designed *away* kit of almost entirely all white?

How many times does this unprofessional nonsense have to happen before the RFL get a grip? It just takes a 5 minute check and an email to each club, once per season 🙄

Have you got lost mate?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

10 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

To be fair that was the first thing the mrs noticed as a casual fan at best, and then I have to say about 5 mins into the game I was agreeing with her.

On the game I anticipated a decent contest when I saw the Hudds squad and they were much improved on last week - solid without being spectacular, although I think you could say that for both teams. I'm not sure what Matty Peet's game plan was so hard to say whether Wigan played well or not, but we did enough. Again solid without being spectacular, waited for opportunities, soaked up pressure and put points on the board when the opportunities came along. I think if you're Ian Watson you could say that was an improved performance in a game you weren't expected to win anyway - definitely a step in the right direction for Hudds and they didn't look a bad side overall I thought.

• Like 1

It wasn't a particularly thrilling match, just the occasional moment of brilliance to liven things up. I expected Huddersfield to have focused on their defence during the week and that seemed to be the case as things were quite tight early on. I think both teams went into the game trying to play conservative rugby, limit mistakes and keep the opposition at the wrong end of the field and take chances when they came but clearly that was only going to pay off for Wigan.

That Huddersfield side looks really strong on paper but where on earth is the threat meant to come from? They didn't look remotely dangerous at any point and the only try came from some pretty shocking defending from Singleton who was getting extended minutes because the game was already won.

At one point Wigan went down to 12 men and Peet actually brought Patrick Mago on. Super League's least mobile defender, while we were down a man and defending. If that's not taking the proverbial I don't know what is. Anyway, we scored a few minutes later.

Maybe it's just a complete lack of pace across the park that makes Huddersfield unable to trouble the opposition but there never looked like any chance of that game having any other outcome.

From a Wigan point of view it was solid. I worried how our pack would cope in dismal weather against a Huddersfield pack that at least had a fair bit of size to it and some experienced players. Our right edge was impressive, particularly Miski, while French is getting more comfortable in the halves. Farrell is starting to get back to his best, Smith controlled the game well and O'Neill looked assured in the halves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

It's happening far too often, it's almost like they don't give a damn, it's embarrassing and totally unprofessional.

It should be mandatory that every club has either a light or dark home strip and a change kit which is the reverse of that.

Absolutely amateurish.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

It wasn't a particularly thrilling match, just the occasional moment of brilliance to liven things up. I expected Huddersfield to have focused on their defence during the week and that seemed to be the case as things were quite tight early on. I think both teams went into the game trying to play conservative rugby, limit mistakes and keep the opposition at the wrong end of the field and take chances when they came but clearly that was only going to pay off for Wigan.

That Huddersfield side looks really strong on paper but where on earth is the threat meant to come from? They didn't look remotely dangerous at any point and the only try came from some pretty shocking defending from Singleton who was getting extended minutes because the game was already won.

At one point Wigan went down to 12 men and Peet actually brought Patrick Mago on. Super League's least mobile defender, while we were down a man and defending. If that's not taking the proverbial I don't know what is. Anyway, we scored a few minutes later.

Maybe it's just a complete lack of pace across the park that makes Huddersfield unable to trouble the opposition but there never looked like any chance of that game having any other outcome.

From a Wigan point of view it was solid. I worried how our pack would cope in dismal weather against a Huddersfield pack that at least had a fair bit of size to it and some experienced players. Our right edge was impressive, particularly Miski, while French is getting more comfortable in the halves. Farrell is starting to get back to his best, Smith controlled the game well and O'Neill looked assured in the halves.

The only pace we have is a number of 35 year olds who spend too much time on the backfoot defending!

59 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Have you got lost mate?

I don't expect to win every game, I leave delusions of grandeur to supporters of a "big club" who have just celebrated the 40 year anniversary of the last time they won the comp 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

3 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I don't expect to win every game, I leave delusions of grandeur to supporters of a "big club" who have just celebrated the 40 year anniversary of the last time they won the comp 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 

Haha, you're quoting the wrong person when you chuck around accusations of "delusions of grandeur" but I reckon you already know that.

Should be an interesting game next week, hope both teams can put out their strongest possible sides.

Looking forward to it.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Haha, you're quoting the wrong person when you chuck around accusations of "delusions of grandeur" but I reckon you already know that.

Should be an interesting game next week, hope both teams can put out their strongest possible sides.

Looking forward to it.

Aye, Hull are favourites. We're running on fumes, with others' reserves rejects patching the big holes in our spine. But every game is winnable eh. 

On 30/06/2023 at 09:56, daz39 said:

200? we wouldn't take that many if it was free!!

13.400 a couple of thou more than i thought.

ok we probably would.

13.400 a couple of thou more than i thought.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)