Taking two points

Wakefield Ram

We had two opportunities to take two points. Just before half time when we were 6-4 up and again at the end when a draw would have clinched the title and promotion. 

It was always going to be a close game, not sure why we turned down both chances especially given we had struggled to score all game.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

We had two opportunities to take two points. Just before half time when we were 6-4 up and again at the end when a draw would have clinched the title and promotion. 

It was always going to be a close game, not sure why we turned down both chances especially given we had struggled to score all game.

Was gunna post this myself.   Yet we took them against North Wales🤔   

• Like 1

Certainly a puzzler ........ I was surprised not taking two just before half time ...... At the time, I did think it was the right shout to take the tap and go for the win when they were down to 12 ..... But, in hindsight, with a draw giving us promotion then Yes it should have been a 2-pointer all day long.....

But, credit to Hunslet they thwarted our efforts, spoiled effectively and kept going right to the end after a lot of defensive work in the first half...... No complaints about the result or the referee - we simply didn't deserve to win today.

On to next week and another fully committed performance should still see us 'over the line' ........ And that's really what this season has been all about.

• Like 5

It's straightforward to me. In what was always going to be a tight game any side should take every opportunity of scoring points, so both penalties should have been attempted.

Having said that, it is a much easier game to play when you are sitting down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

30 minutes ago, Ramification said:

I wasnt surprised we didn't take the 1st opp but the 2nd one absolutely baffled me, unless Sykes wasn't confident on his wrong side having missed already.

Then why not use Turner.... also baffled!! 

Edited by the old nine ole

5 hours ago, Rambo said:

To be fair the penalty awarded near the end of the game wasn’t a gimme by any means.

Correct. Bear in mind Due to the wind a kicker as classy as Paul is he got nowhere near in his attempt to convert the Brad Graham catch try. The ball simply blew back towards him. I get why supporters would question the decision but it was too difficult in the circumstances. Also if he fails to kick it dead we cough up possession. Yep our ultimate decision did not come off but that’s rugby. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Correct. Bear in mind Due to the wind a kicker as classy as Paul is he got nowhere near in his attempt to convert the Brad Graham catch try. The ball simply blew back towards him. I get why supporters would question the decision but it was too difficult in the circumstances. Also if he fails to kick it dead we cough up possession. Yep our ultimate decision did not come off but that’s rugby. 

Having watched the highlights Butterworth and another player signal to take the two but the instruction to run it came from the sideline. It wasn't a gimme kick, but it wasn't impossible and running the ball isn't a gimme either. 

Kick a goal to win automatic promotion and a title? 

Edited by Wakefield Ram
  • Like 1