Sean Long Sacked

21 hours ago, Andrewj said:

Being honest but I get a vibe that Featherstone cannot afford or don't want to go up 🤔

This is one hot take that is definitely wrong. It's exactly the opposite...those in charge at Fev have studied the IMG scoring system and are convinced that it's now or never in terms of getting a SL place. The vulnerabilities that have been obvious to regular watchers all season under Long haven't gone away and this is one final throw of the dice.

As for "can't afford", I sense that the club have gone full stretch financially this year given the relatively tiny central funding, but Mark Campbell has said in the past that the club would spend full cap if the club made it to SL. 

And Campbell's sole focus for the last 16 years or so has been getting Fev into SL. It remains to be seen if he'll retain his enthusiasm if he feels that SL spot is no longer possible.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

This is one hot take that is definitely wrong. It's exactly the opposite...those in charge at Fev have studied the IMG scoring system and are convinced that it's now or never in terms of getting a SL place. The vulnerabilities that have been obvious to regular watchers all season under Long haven't gone away and this is one final throw of the dice.

As for "can't afford", I sense that the club have gone full stretch financially this year given the relatively tiny central funding, but Mark Campbell has said in the past that the club would spend full cap if the club made it to SL. 

And Campbell's sole focus for the last 16 years or so has been getting Fev into SL. It remains to be seen if he'll retain his enthusiasm if he feels that SL spot is no longer possible.

Wouldn't it have been better to throw that dice before the transfer deadline?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Fev signed Chisholm, Longstaff, Hau and Astley (on loan) in the couple of months leading up to the deadline. This is a coaching dice-roll.

Not exactly exciting or Superleague ready players. Chizz living on past glory at best.

he was sacked, I think MC has been waiting for this for a while as he was popular with the fans and players but performances have steadily got worse. Fordy is a smart coach and probably what's needed for the playing group at this time. Whether it's successful ultimately, who knows but there have been a lot of warning signs with Long. I think MC has made the right call, hopefully it pays off because he deserves it for the effort and investment he's made over the past 15 years.

• Like 3

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

9 hours ago, Andrewj said:

Not exactly exciting or Superleague ready players. Chizz living on past glory at best.

Perhaps, but you suggested Fev didn't want to or couldn't afford to go up  both of which are patently nonsense. 

Ask Mark Campbell whether he'd rather have £1.5 million+ to build a SL squad or around a tenth of that figure to build a Championship one. The club has probably put in more non-central-funding money into the squad than a few SL teams for years. It would probably cost less of the club's "own" money if they were in SL. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Andrewj said:

Where are you getting Super League ready players from at this stage of the season when there is a relegation battle going on in SL and the two teams involved are willing to splash money to sign anyone half decent that comes available. You have to remember that not only did Leigh have the money they also had a once in a lifetime, stars aligning at the right time, opportunity to sign some quality players because of circumstances.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kiggy said:

I wonder if the French players that Long persuaded to join Fev from his time as the French team coach will hang around

They're under contract till the end of the season and will no doubt have signed new ones either with Fev or another club so might do, might not......

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Like 3