Widnes Away

RogerT

Thought Kibula was outstanding today even with playing extra minutes to usual. Meadows and Woods partnership hasn’t worked at his season. A lot of effort from Meadows and some great individual performances. Woods is dross. The same kick and constant hiding behind the forwards in the attacking line. Meadows needs more support at half back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OldDog78 said:

Thought Kibula was outstanding today even with playing extra minutes to usual. Meadows and Woods partnership hasn’t worked at his season. A lot of effort from Meadows and some great individual performances. Woods is dross. The same kick and constant hiding behind the forwards in the attacking line. Meadows needs more support at half back.

The forwards aren’t the problem it’s the halves I dunno why it’s not clicked… White and meadows should of been given a chance yesterday to try and see because when we passed the ball around we looked dangerous 

3 hours ago, phildog said:

Agree, need a competent goal kicker, no, not a competent one, a better than competent one. It wouldn't be fair on here to make lists of who should go, we all have differing opinions but we must surely agree that the changes have to wide-ranging and effective if we're not to slide down the league pecking order.

We are on our way.

57 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

The forwards aren’t the problem it’s the halves I dunno why it’s not clicked… White and meadows should of been given a chance yesterday to try and see because when we passed the ball around we looked dangerous 

100%. One of the issues is that Woods role in the team is as the 'dominant' halfback and can and does have the priority of overcalling any of the plays in goodball. Unfortunately, that often leads to a breakdown in play or worse! Another issue is that the 'spine' of the team has been disrupted this season and is not as efficient as the last 2 seasons, combined with probably the best ball handler/decision maker being utilised in a differing role and then spending 30mins+on the sidelines, when having that extra ball player on the park would lead to extra width and hence points.

• Thanks 1

On our way Rog? And it's not just tge pack as someone else says, but it's place to start as we've got past having the dominance for which we've been famed. A team can carry an old head with other around supporting him with effort but we're the other way round. As I said before, pace out wide, give Milthorpe his chance, halves need investigating and Burton back.

1 hour ago, phildog said:

On our way Rog? And it's not just tge pack as someone else says, but it's place to start as we've got past having the dominance for which we've been famed. A team can carry an old head with other around supporting him with effort but we're the other way round. As I said before, pace out wide, give Milthorpe his chance, halves need investigating and Burton back.

The pace yesterday wasn’t a problem or the pack 

it was the halves meadows can’t do it all by himself 

if you’d of been there you’d of seen it 

the ones who were they saw it 

Missing a game doesn't mean that someone can't see the errors and failings from other games! I agree we've not had the best out of Woods, but it's not one man's fault, half our forwards don't take the ball on the run and where is this pace you say we're not missing? None of the three-quarters have it, one forward is losing it. Yes, there's loads of effort but it's lost against younger opposition. I'll be down Sunday, I'll still be behind 'em but I and tge redtop heed to realise that, top 6 or not, a number of races are run and it shows by the number of players already not appearing at matches.

48 minutes ago, toffeedog said:

If we lose Riley next year and give contracts to rest of the pack we are going to be relegated on current form 

If you think Riley is the saver of us then your miles off - he went off after 10 minutes or so yesterday 

If he ran like Flynn he’d be miles better 

Perhaps kevs er refusal to spend on new blood past few months, due to being tight/ careful/ frugal/ Is an expert forecast knowing lots of player turnover required this winter.

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Pack, I'd keep Kibula he's improving well, Leak, Walshaw, Flynn, POSSIBLY Ward, Brown, Manning if the latter two can face another year and are bolstered by good signings.

He one of the youngest fowards we have and been one the best since he came. We lacked pace since hooley went back to Leeds. Lost gilmore replaced with Woods who been a passenger at times . Moxon will know now the challenges he will be facing next season to improve a ageing no real pace squad quickest player we have isn't even our player next season unless Huddersfield release him lot.of work to do 

1 hour ago, phildog said:

Pack, I'd keep Kibula he's improving well, Leak, Walshaw, Flynn, POSSIBLY Ward, Brown, Manning if the latter two can face another year and are bolstered by good signings.

So no gledhill who’s been class this season and stood out yesterday strange

14 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

If you think Riley is the saver of us then your miles off - he went off after 10 minutes or so yesterday 

If he ran like Flynn he’d be miles better 

Yes, he left the field due to injury, what's your point? The problem with a lot of people on here is that they base their estimations on players contributions to a big hit or a try or a hard run. What is often not discussed are the 'unseen' efforts and work that players put in along with work rate, even though they might not have made a big play. Without these the fan's favourites would not be able to make that big hit or score that try or have that hard run. Reilly and a couple of others are players that make these unseen efforts and have a very high work rate. Fortunately, coaches review games and look at the technical perspective of the game rather than the fan pleasing efforts. So, I for one will welcome the re-signing of Reilly and hope he has not signed for Widnes - or any other team. On that theme, I'm sure the players that Moxy wants for next season will have already been approached and signed, so some on here may well be disappointed, as I believe that Woods initially signed for 2 years?

45 minutes ago, BullyXL said:

Yes, he left the field due to injury, what's your point? The problem with a lot of people on here is that they base their estimations on players contributions to a big hit or a try or a hard run. What is often not discussed are the 'unseen' efforts and work that players put in along with work rate, even though they might not have made a big play. Without these the fan's favourites would not be able to make that big hit or score that try or have that hard run. Reilly and a couple of others are players that make these unseen efforts and have a very high work rate. Fortunately, coaches review games and look at the technical perspective of the game rather than the fan pleasing efforts. So, I for one will welcome the re-signing of Reilly and hope he has not signed for Widnes - or any other team. On that theme, I'm sure the players that Moxy wants for next season will have already been approached and signed, so some on here may well be disappointed, as I believe that Woods initially signed for 2 years?

Since the rumour of the move to Widnes he’s not been the best… everyone knows why he’s leaving if it happens let’s be honest moxon will of spoken to a number of players let’s hope nothing is released so other clubs can’t hijack the move for once 

who knows about woods it’s a rumour but again rumours aren’t always true 

30 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

Since the rumour of the move to Widnes he’s not been the best… everyone knows why he’s leaving if it happens let’s be honest moxon will of spoken to a number of players let’s hope nothing is released so other clubs can’t hijack the move for once 

who knows about woods it’s a rumour but again rumours aren’t always true 

I don't know why he's allegedly leaving? Has something happened?

All this talk off what we should and shouldn't do is irrelevant it all boils down to the same old thing! MONEY! Which Unfortunately no matter how well we do on the field or what we do to raise the profile of the club,MONEY! is  something we never seem to have, for the last few seasons we've managed to keep more or less a settled squad which as lead to quite a bit of success! But to be fair to the players most have stayed due loyalty and enjoy being at the club which is credit to them, definitely not for big money, but we all know thats what all this game is about especially part time, 5-10k extra a season at this level makes a lot of difference to players I've heard Riley has been offered nearly double what he could get at batley a young lad with a family what do you think he's thinking! Unfortunately I reckon we could lose a few players this season possibly to retirement but mainly to money! We may be able to afford what you might call 1 marquee player as we sometimes seem to do,but  unfortunately  for mokko I'm afraid he may have to rebuild a team on the scraps that other teams don't want, and we may all have to accept that we could end up  going back to being that mid table, sometimes relegation fighting team we once where! 

Edited by The scrim reaper
  • Like 1

Good appraisal that. Did Batley make anything out of loosing that grand final against Leigh last season and reaching the 1895 final this year.

If not then I ask the question is it worth all the effort and expenditure to even try for them.

As disappointed as I am at the moment I will be there till the end of the season and also next season and yes I was there in the 60's 70's and 80's.

• Like 1