24 Squad

gilbert08

7 hours ago, Masters 13 said:

Very diverse, especially being a forward to playing in the backs and as a winger?

Dont forget, big Joe started out as a winger 😉

Edited by morty

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

4 hours ago, morty said:

Dont forget, big Joe started out as a winger 😉

Fair one but Joe was later dedicated to playing in the forwards. 

I see Featherstone have released 17 players from their squad. Wouldn't mind seeing Dane Chisholm, Elijah Taylor and Tyla Hepi in a blue and white V shirt.👍

Edited by Masters 13
  • Like 2
BarrowRaiders-Enforcer-1.png

I think he struggled a little with his fitness level, so hopefully he will be ready to go this coming season.  I'm not convinced he should be our first choice half back but he is a pretty good fill in player, I'm glad he is being rewarded with a contract, and if he wants to prove me wrong and he does become the first choice then I'm even happier. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I see you're only going with a 22 man squad and then using some Furness raiders and bringing in any potential recruits if injuries occur... Big call on the calibre of players who could come in mid season? 3 forwards I'm guessing will be Gillam/Walker/ young lad from a SL side.

Edited by Neutralfan7
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

I see you're only going with a 22 man squad and then using some Furness raiders and bringing in any potential recruits if injuries occur... Big call on the calibre of players who could come in mid season? 3 forwards I'm guessing will be Gillam/Walker/ young lad from a SL side.

Ridiculous decision IMO. Every year we seem to suffer with a severely depleted squad towards the end. Going with less players is suicidal. Must be a cost cutting exercise. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jarc said:

Ridiculous decision IMO. Every year we seem to suffer with a severely depleted squad towards the end. Going with less players is suicidal. Must be a cost cutting exercise. 

It’s well known the playing budget has been cut and they struggled to keep players happy last season with a bigger squad.

Maybe the decision has been taken out of their hands or they are looking at it a different way.

RL is tough on the body,I imagine most teams pick up injuries towards the end of seasons.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jarc said:

It's a brutal sport, and some of the players simply aren't fit enough. We'll suffer an injury crisis no doubt again but this year will only have 4 extra bodies to call on before throwing in 17 year olds. Sounds like preparing for league 1 to me. How have we come to this in the space of 18 months? 

• Like 2

Totally get RL is a tough sport and you are bound to pick up injuries, it just seems we are always absolutely ravaged with them from July onwards so the decision to go with the smallest squad for a good few years doesn’t make sense to me. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, blue forever said:

It's a brutal sport, and some of the players simply aren't fit enough. We'll suffer an injury crisis no doubt again but this year will only have 4 extra bodies to call on before throwing in 17 year olds. Sounds like preparing for league 1 to me. How have we come to this in the space of 18 months? 

I personally don’t think there’ll be any relegation at the end of next season. Can see the Championship and L1 merging for 2025. 

• Like 3

On 18/10/2023 at 09:44, bruner said:

danny langtrree has now left barrow to so will we use the money from him and tee to sign some more players,,,?

Don't quite understand why it has taken the Club until today, Nov 10, to make this announcement, 3 weeks after Bruner posted that he'd left. 

With new posts saying we'll only have a 22 man squad and to date only 2 newcomers, we'll struggle to stay-up again.

Steve has been up-front telling us finances are the big issue and that we must recruit locally, so no surprise really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Gillams contract ran out on the 1st of November, who knows what's going on there? Will he be back? We need him, one of our best players

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Where has this statement been announced at? Cant see it on the website or there twitter page unless I've missed it? Grateful if you could send me the link, cheers 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Raider91 said:

Where has this statement been announced at? Cant see it on the website or there twitter page unless I've missed it? Grateful if you could send me the link, cheers 

It was on a Facebook post and I'll be honest, I'm not tech savvy to know how to sort links etc 😂 maybe someone else could help? Sorry! 

• Like 1

To be fair to the club they did say in that statement that there's talks either done or ongoing with 6 players that in their words will greatly enhance the squad ,yes in an ideal world more would have been announced by now but at least it's out there that they are imminent or close ,as for the squad size 22 isn't as bad as it sounds and it's right their trying to build that pathway from the Furness raiders ,and it has been stated if needs must they'd dip back into the market ,having numbers is all and good but when you've got around ten players in your squad not playing it's not only bad for morale it's also a drain on finances ,think you'll find other clubs are also running with smaller squads and bar maybe 4 or 5 clubs nobody is spending big ,even Toulouse have only announced one player ,patience is the key 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 2Cents said:

Don't quite understand why it has taken the Club until today, Nov 10, to make this announcement, 3 weeks after Bruner posted that he'd left. 

With new posts saying we'll only have a 22 man squad and to date only 2 newcomers, we'll struggle to stay-up again.

Steve has been up-front telling us finances are the big issue and that we must recruit locally, so no surprise really.

I struggle to get my head around how we can be struggling financially. Am I correct in thinking that when Covid hit, we declined the loans as the club could manage? And did the teams who took the loans have/or are having to pay them back as from what I remember most teams took loans and most of these teams are splashing out on signing players up. So alongside paying players and repaying these loans, they seem to look in a stronger position than we do. 

I still can't and never will understand how teams like Sheffield can survive and be a strong as they are on the crowds they get. We get 4 or 5 times more for home games yet finances are tough for us. How do these clubs with the lower fanbases survive and whats their secret. 

I get we dont have the luxury of living close to the SL teams so cant pick players up as easily so is always going to cost us more to get players here but surely you would think financially we would be one of the better teams. 

I just hope the statement that we are in talks with 6 players comes good as we really need some players. Were crying out for some props as we need some size upfront and a hooker to roll on and off with Wood. Unless Cresta has a masterplan to convert a player to hooker, it worked moving Gillam from 2nd row to prop so you never know! 

Edited by Gus Tyson
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Jarc said:

Totally get RL is a tough sport and you are bound to pick up injuries, it just seems we are always absolutely ravaged with them from July onwards so the decision to go with the smallest squad for a good few years doesn’t make sense to me. 

Maybe they are holding some of the playing budget back to reinforce the team later in the season?

All we can do is trust the people in charge to make the correct decisions and keep supporting the club in any way you can in my opinion.

• Like 2