International squads

Dunbar

Thought it would be sensible to have a thread for the international squads as they emerge for the England vs. Tonga series and the Pacific Championships.

First news is that Shaun Johnson has ruled himself out of the New Zealand squad for the upcoming Pacific Championships.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/09/28/johnson-out-of-kiwis-squad-for-pacific-championships/

Interesting quote in the article… “I don’t ever turn down the opportunity to represent New Zealand, and I think a lot of people who know me know that” Johnson says as he turns down the opportunity to represent New Zealand.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

30 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Thought it would be sensible to have a thread for the international squads as they emerge for the England vs. Tonga series and the Pacific Championships.

First news if that Shaun Johnson has ruled himself out of the New Zealand squad for the upcoming Pacific Championships.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/09/28/johnson-out-of-kiwis-squad-for-pacific-championships/

Interesting quote in the article… “I don’t ever turn down the opportunity to represent New Zealand, and I think a lot of people who know me know that” Johnson says as he turns down the opportunity to represent New Zealand.

Yeah I thought that Johnson comment was quite funny, but to be fair to him he's had a poor run with injury historically and at 33 the body is unlikely to improve so I get why he's doing it now. Kiwis don't lose too much as long as Jahrome Hughes is fit.

Would be nice if Tohu Harris reneged on his unofficial International retirement but given his body has broken down every second week this season I can't see it happening.

• Like 1

Just now, UTK said:

Yeah I thought that Johnson comment was quite funny, but to be fair to him he's had a poor run with injury historically and at 33 the body is unlikely to improve so I get why he's doing it now. Kiwis don't lose too much as long as Jahrome Hughes is fit.

Would be nice if Tohu Harris reneged on his unofficial International retirement but given his body has broken down every second week this season I can't see it happening.

Yes, I just liked the comedy element of the contradiction.  Johnson has been a great international player and the problem with always having the international window at the end of the season is that players will be seeking to protect their bodies (particularly those, shall we say, more mature players).

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The Kangaroos need to replace Valentine Holmes and Jack Wighton plus anyone else who sits out for medical reasons. From the last Roos team I guess Payne Haas and Lindsay Collins will probably come in at the expense of J-Turbo and RCG. Apart from those I think all the last team will probably play.

Tedesco v Ponga v Walsh is probably the most contentious. I'd stick with Teddy but Pong is the current Dally Mer and Walsh might be MOM in the GF this week so you could make a case for any of them.

What I think the Kangaroos have always done better than Great Britain / England is pick on form and look at the positives a player brings rather than the negatives.

Look at Walsh.  He may not get the #1 spot for the Kangaroos this year but he is in the mix.  But he makes by far the most errors of any fullback in the NRL - in fact he makes by far the most errros of any player in the NRL - but the positves outweigh the negatives.  I do think our approach is too safety first.

40 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

What I think the Kangaroos have always done better than Great Britain / England is pick on form and look at the positives a player brings rather than the negatives.

Look at Walsh.  He may not get the #1 spot for the Kangaroos this year but he is in the mix.  But he makes by far the most errors of any fullback in the NRL - in fact he makes by far the most errros of any player in the NRL - but the positves outweigh the negatives.  I do think our approach is too safety first.

Wasn't it said a few years ago that our strength is that we play more ;off-the-cuff' rugby than the Aussies did, and they were more robotic in what they do?

I would say Walsh seems to be a exception in regards to the errors, because he is so exciting and does do so much when he isn't making errors.

The NRL commentators definitely focus more on completion rates and error rates than the SL ones do IMO.

44 minutes ago, Click said:

Wasn't it said a few years ago that our strength is that we play more ;off-the-cuff' rugby than the Aussies did, and they were more robotic in what they do?

I know that we have always said that, but to be honest I have never really bought into that thinking.  They have always had outstanding attacking players.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Australia , certainly under Big Mal , also don’t mind picking their best players and finding a place for them rather than the best player in a position

13 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Australia , certainly under Big Mal , also don’t mind picking their best players and finding a place for them rather than the best player in a position

Australia have long had the athletes to be able to do that. I don't think we always have.

I was looking forward to seeing SJ back in black, so that's a shame.

Having internationals solely at season's end will result in pull-outs like this. I honestly can't hold it against players wanting to protect themselves and give themselves the best post-season and pre-season.

Here’s my predicted PNG Lineup

1- Alex Johnston

2- Xavier Coates

3- Justin Olam

4- Zac Laybutt

5- Nene MacDonald

6- Kyle Laybutt

7- Lachlan Lam

8- Wellington Albert

9- Edwin Ipape

10- Sylvester Namo

11- Rhyse Martin

12- Dan Russell

13- Jacob Alick

14- Liam Horne

15- Epel Kapinias

16- McKenzie Yei

17- Nixon Putt

Was cool to see a lot of PNG boys debut in the NRL this year like Russell, Laybutt, Derby and Alick to name a few. Also a fair few players have been signed by SL clubs for next season, which is great. The kumuls are looking very strong, easily there best and most experienced team they’ve ever been able to field.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NRLandSL said:

Here’s my predicted PNG Lineup

1- Alex Johnston

2- Xavier Coates

3- Justin Olam

4- Zac Laybutt

5- Nene MacDonald

6- Kyle Laybutt

7- Lachlan Lam

8- Wellington Albert

9- Edwin Ipape

10- Sylvester Namo

11- Rhyse Martin

12- Dan Russell

13- Jacob Alick

14- Liam Horne

15- Epel Kapinias

16- McKenzie Yei

17- Nixon Putt

Was cool to see a lot of PNG boys debut in the NRL this year like Russell, Laybutt, Derby and Alick to name a few. Also a fair few players have been signed by SL clubs for next season, which is great. The kumuls are looking very strong, easily there best and most experienced team they’ve ever been able to field.

Think that's a pretty accurate prediction, Sylvester Namo did his ACL mid-season so will be unavailable - probably replaced by the likes of Emmanuel Waine, Junior Rop, Cruise Ten or Jeremiah Simbiken.

• Thanks 1

One player I would love to see in the backs for PNG is Jimmy Ngutlik. Rangy, tall, fast, and quite impressive in terms of movement. He reminds me in some ways of Vunivalu when the latter was at the Storm, although I think Ngutlik might be better in some aspects of his game.

I'd love to see a right edge of Ngutlik and McDonald. Two big, impressive athletes who could trouble opposition.

Olam and Coates as the Melbourne partnership on the left is next level and even more daunting, in terms of power and athleticism.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, UTK said:

Think that's a pretty accurate prediction, Sylvester Namo did his ACL mid-season so will be unavailable - probably replaced by the likes of Emmanuel Waine, Junior Rop, Cruise Ten or Jeremiah Simbiken.

Oh no didn’t hear about that, he’s a great player so big shame. Cruise Ten looked fantastic against Australia so hopefully he gets the nod. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

One player I would love to see in the backs for PNG is Jimmy Ngutlik. Rangy, tall, fast, and quite impressive in terms of movement. He reminds me in some ways of Vunivalu when the latter was at the Storm, although I think Ngutlik might be better in some aspects of his game.

I'd love to see a right edge of Ngutlik and McDonald. Two big, impressive athletes who could trouble opposition.

Olam and Coates as the Melbourne partnership on the left is next level and even more daunting, in terms of power and athleticism.

Ngutlik Is out for the season unfortunately but he is a great player. PNG have some really good Young outside backs. Derby, Tai, Laybutt and 3 really young full backs in Morea Morea, Ragarive Wavik and Treigh Stewart.

Edited by NRLandSL

1 hour ago, NRLandSL said:

Ngutlik Is out for the season unfortunately but he is a great player. PNG have some really good Young outside backs. Derby, Tai, Laybutt and 3 really young full backs in Morea Morea, Ragarive Wavik and Treigh Stewart.

Ah, that's sad to hear. I really like what I've seen of him. The others guys you mention are all really promising, although I'm not really familiar with Wavik.

50 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Ah, that's sad to hear. I really like what I've seen of him. The others guys you mention are all really promising, although I'm not really familiar with Wavik.

Watch the Australian schoolboys vs Kumuls juniors game highlights, he was outstanding. North Queensland bloke, in an around the cowboys first team.

• Thanks 1

On 28/09/2023 at 19:25, Farmduck said:

The Kangaroos need to replace Valentine Holmes and Jack Wighton plus anyone else who sits out for medical reasons. From the last Roos team I guess Payne Haas and Lindsay Collins will probably come in at the expense of J-Turbo and RCG. Apart from those I think all the last team will probably play.

Tedesco v Ponga v Walsh is probably the most contentious. I'd stick with Teddy but Pong is the current Dally Mer and Walsh might be MOM in the GF this week so you could make a case for any of them.

Teddy is absolute garbage. He shouldn't be anywhere near the team. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

new rise.jpg

Brisbane duo Selwyn Cobbo and Kotoni Staggs are in line for a Kangaroos debut as a host of spots go on the line in Sunday’s grand final clash.
Staggs has previously pledged his allegiance to Tonga but there is a push for the in-form centre to potentially put his hand up to be a Kangaroo.

Valentine Holmes is also eligible for selection despite being whacked with a one-game ban after he posted himself with a bag of white powder. It will be up to the Australian selectors if they want to carry Holmes despite his unavailability for the opener against Samoa.

The likes of Cobbo, Staggs, Dylan Edwards and Thomas Flegler are also in the mix.

“There is a whole heap of players up for selection who are playing on Sunday,” Meninga said. ”There is enough motivation trying to win a grand final. The cream comes from playing well.”

Meninga insisted Kalyn Ponga‘s Dally M medal win had not altered his standing because he was always in the mix.

“He has always been in the conversation,” Meninga said.

“The Dally M doesn‘t affect that. We know how good a player he is. Fitting them all in is going to be hard.

“It is the ongoing dilemma.”

Nat Butcher and Hudson Young are also in the mix.

World Cup winners Angus Crichton and Reagan Campbell-Gillard are expected to be overlooked.

Australia will only pick 20-players with about two spots remaining open.

Potential squad

James Tedesco, Josh Addo-Carr, Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow/Valentine Holmes/ Kotoni Staggs, Selwyn Cobbo/Murray Taulagi, Cameron Munster, Nathan Cleary, Tino Fa’asuamaleaui, Ben Hunt, Payne Haas, Liam Martin, Cameron Murray, Isaah Yeo, Harry Grant, Pat Carrigan, Lindsay Collins, Jake Trbojevic, Reuben Cotter, Daly Cherry-Evans, Tom Flegler/Nat Butcher/Hudson Young.

NEW ZEALAND

The Kiwis hooking stocks have taken a major blow with New Zealand scrambling to find a serviceable dummy half after Brandon Smith (hand) was ruled out.

Potential bolter Phoenix Crossland also likely to be unavailable after playing out Newcastle's finals loss to the Warriors with a knee injury. Jeremy Marshall-King, Kodi Nikorima and Te Maire Martin are all out.

The Kiwis will be forced to find a makeshift hooker with halves including Dylan Brown or Kieran Foran among the options or look to someone like Fa’amanu Brown.

Shaun Johnson also won’t play which could draw to a close his international career.

The likes of Leo Thompson, Matt Timoko and Will Warbrick are expected to be picked and are in line to make their first Test. Dally M winger of the year Jamayne Isaako is also likely to play his first Test for the Kiwis since 2019.

TONGA

Newcastle veteran Tyson Frizell is set to be a surprise inclusion in the Tongan squad for the end of season tour after putting his hand up to play. While Dallin Watene-Zelezniak has also informed Tonga and New Zealand that his preference will be to play for Tonga. Watene-Zelezniak is battling a shoulder injury and needs medical clearance before he is given the go-ahead to tour. He was in career best form for the Warriors this year and would have been picked for the Kiwis to add to his 13 Tests.

Frizell is also likely to be picked provided he too gets through a medical for the historic Tongan tour of England at the end of the year. Frizell has declared his interest in playing for Tonga. Remarkably, it will be the third country Frizell will represent at the international level.

He was part of Australia’s 2017 winning World Cup team and played 14 matches in the green and gold. Before that though he played five Tests for Wales. Rising Roosters star Siua Wong has opted to play for Tonga.

Tonga’s forward pack will be world class with Addin Fonua-Blake, Moeaki Fotuaika, Felise Kaufusi, Jason Taumalolo, Keaon Koloamatangi, Haumole Olakau‘atu, Eliesa Katoa and Junior Tatola all expected to tour. David Fifita has been ruled out as has Soni Luke.

The backline will include Will Penisni, Moses Suli and Talatau Koula. The halves will be Tui Lolohea and Isaiya Katoa. Talatau Amone is expected to be unavailable because of his October 18 court case.

SAMOA

Wests Tigers youngster Stefano Utoikamanu will make his international debut after declaring his allegiance for Samoa. Utoikamanu made his Origin debut this year. Broncos forward Keenan Palasia is also likely to play. Injuries will rule Jarome Luai and Josh Papalii out but Luai’s Penrith teammates Stephen Crichton, Brian To’o and Spencer Leniu are likely to play.

PNG

The Kumuls are hoping all their NRL players including Alex Johnston, Justin Olam, Dan Russell and Xavier Coates will play although Coates and Olam are under injury clouds. Olam could miss the first game but feature in game two of the tournament. Super League players Lachie Lam, Rhyse Martin and Edwin Ipape should play some part.

FIJI

It is some mixed news for the Bath. Boom Tigers youngster Jahream Bula will make his Test debut but his teammate Api Koroisau is in extreme doubt because of an ongoing calf complaint. Viliame Kikau has also withdrawn. Wingers Taane Milne and Mikaele Ravalawa should play.

COOK ISLANDS

Brisbane’s Brandon Piakura should headline the squad should he come through the grand final unscathed. Others including Davvy Moale, Tepai Moeroa, Zane Tetevano, Esan Marsters and Kayal Iro are expected to play. Former Kangaroo Karmichael Hunt will assist head coach Tony Iro.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

Teddy is absolute garbage. He shouldn't be anywhere near the team. 

Very ignorant to call him “Garbage”, He has been on the of the best players in the world 5-6 years now and continues to dominate on every stage. Either your a south’s fan or just not very educated about rugby league.

Edited by NRLandSL
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1