International squads

Dunbar

46 minutes ago, Damien said:

That was the point, the whole thing needs to be rethought. Tonga and Fiji certainly have fairly strong domestic scenes, I'm not sure why people keep choosing to ignore this. Samoa less so but still far stronger than Jamaica.

I think it also needs to be acknowledged that the PI nations are quite different and it is a lot more fluid between League and Union. Many just want to make it professionally regardless of code.

Samoa stronger Domestic game than Jamaica ? Your heavily mistaken buddy. Samoa Don’t even have a consistent National completion.

36 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

Samoa stronger Domestic game than Jamaica ? Your heavily mistaken buddy. Samoa Don’t even have a consistent National completion.

As I said less so in Samoa. I do see plenty of activity on Facebook both in both schools and clubs and see that Marist Saints beat Letava Bulldogs in the final just 5 weeks ago. Just because the  website of the governing body is shambolic it doesn't mean that this stuff isn't going on.

Marist Saints fought to come from behind to beat the Letava Bulldogs 18-12 in the final of the Rugby League Samoa’s domestic competition at the Marist grounds on Saturday.

In a hard-hitting matchup, both teams had their fair share of chances but it was the Saints who drew first blood to lead 2-0 through a penalty.

It was then the Bulldogs who used their big forwards to march forward to score a try and had it converted. The Saints responded with a try of their own to their wing, courtesy of a free-flowing ball out wide and finding space in the Bulldogs' defence.

But the Bulldogs scored again through a beautiful team try under the post just before halftime to lead 12-8 at the break

The Saints came firing off the blocks in the second half. They scored the first points in the second half just minutes into play to tie the scores 12-12. They then toughened up in defence, which did not allow their opponents to gain much advantage, with poor handling and errors ensuring Saints dominated most of the possession in the second half.

They were able to capitalise on their possession by scoring midway in the second half to lead 16-12 but failed to convert for the extra points. They then took advantage of a penalty right in front of the Bulldogs upright and opted to go for a goal and added two points to go 18-12.

The victory was a sweet one for the Marist Saints and according to their captain Chris Vaifale, they were runners-up last year. He said when the team went for a breather, they were told to stick to the basics.

“The boys were told to keep it simple and stick to the basics, so when we came into the second half the boys just stuck to what was learnt during the training sessions,” he said. “The win is a good one and we will savour it. Most of the boys, even the Bulldogs players are involved in the Islands of Origin, so we will be meeting up again.

“I think players from both the teams are also hoping that selectors look at local players for the Pacific Games and I am sure the players have put a lot of effort in training.”

Samoa Observer | Marist Saints are league champs

Only 61 posts to go.

Edited by Damien
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

where is the full eng squad? have seen the others

The domestic season for the other nations has finished.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

28 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The domestic season for the other nations has finished.

so your saying the squad wont be announced till 7 days before the 1st test?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

15 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

so your saying the squad wont be announced till 7 days before the 1st test?

He will announce the squad for the series on Monday 16 October.

• Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 hours ago, rlno1 said:

So Jack de Belin now feels like he is a PNGer. Frizell now playing for his 3rd country. Players who played in the WC last year now playing for other nations.

It really shows a lack of leadership from the game to fix these issues because they dont want to compromise or hurt origin.

It devalues the international game

Mickey Mouse is what it is.

the selection of jack de belin really leaves a nasty taste in my mouth as it’s keeping out a real and proud kumul from either the hunters or another Queensland cup side or even from the digicel cup.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Well, I may be in the minority here but I am happy with the eligibility regulations as they stand and looking forward to an Autumn of international Rugby League. 

Wish I could say the same mate but for me the international level of any sport should be about the best of the best and elite level players representing their country instead of the current farce we have with the musical chairs representation approach of players who pick and choose which nations to represent based on either their current stage of development or the prestige of a tournament.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Jack De Belin's selection is odd.

I recall him saying before the World Cup that he wouldn't feel right taking a place over someone else. That's what he is ready to do now.

I blame the PNG selectors more than I blame de belin.

the guy is nearly 33 and coming to the end of his career. The kumuls should have either picked a talented young player from the digicel cup or an established hunters player to build on for upcoming test matches, tournaments and the next World Cup.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bamboozle said:

I blame the PNG selectors more than I blame de belin.

the guy is nearly 33 and coming to the end of his career. The kumuls should have either picked a talented young player from the digicel cup or an established hunters player to build on for upcoming test matches, tournaments and the next World Cup.

Yeah, he's not likely to be around in three years. Strange thinking from selectors.

58 minutes ago, Bamboozle said:

Wish I could say the same mate but for me the international level of any sport should be about the best of the best and elite level players representing their country instead of the current farce we have with the musical chairs representation approach of players who pick and choose which nations to represent based on either their current stage of development or the prestige of a tournament.

Of course, everyone has their own personal views on this.  I guess my opinion, which has changed over the years, hinges on the following. 

1. Pretty much all sports have the same eligibility criteria and while we may be more flexible than most on players moving between nations, I don't think we should beat ourselves up too much about it.

2. I agree it should be 'best of ours' against 'best of yours' but I only feel passionate about this with the Kangaroos (100%) and the Kiwis (a little less so) as I am enjoying seeing the other nations come to the fore and build the competitiveness of international League, even though it is heritage based at the moment.

3. As I get older, I become less and less jingoistic.  In fact Rugby League is pretty much the only sport where I care about England winning now.

4.  Finally, and this is probably the big one, with so little international Rugby League played, I guess I am happy to compromise a bit to see more.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The international game is more competitive than ever before why would we change anything now?? If anything the rules were worst in the past than it is now. I remember before the league world cup in 2008 the tongan teams were in camp and the kangaroos had a player injured, so they pulled Anthony Tupou in the middle of the Tongan camp to join the kangaroos. That will never happen in this era. Leave the rule as it is and let the international game grow first

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

3. As I get older, I become less and less jingoistic.  In fact Rugby League is pretty much the only sport where I care about England winning now.

Same here. It crept on gradually. While at primary school in 1973 (thank you Google) I remember almost unbearable tension as I cheered Isle of Ely to European It's a Knockout glory and it was the same for any British/English team in any international sporting competition. Now there's even one sport where I'm happy to see England lose (no prizes for guessing)! 

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Of course, everyone has their own personal views on this.  I guess my opinion, which has changed over the years, hinges on the following. 

1. Pretty much all sports have the same eligibility criteria and while we may be more flexible than most on players moving between nations, I don't think we should beat ourselves up too much about it.

This part is dead wrong.  As I've explained several times now, most of the team sports which have Internationals base eligibility on citizenship.  And they don't allow any nation switching, ever.

The most depleted squad announced by far which is disappointing but still plenty of talent available. 

Positive news is that the Silktails/FNRL relationship has been restored which sees current Silktails players available for Bati selection. 

Hard to determine a lineup given much of the squad is made up of lower-graders but a guess nonetheless: 

1. Jahream Bula
2. Maika Sivo
3. Sunia Turuva 
4. Waqa Blake
5. Mikaele Ravalawa
6. Kurt Donoghoe
7. Brandon Wakeham
8. Tui Kamikamica 
9. Penioni Tagituamua
10. King Vuniyayawa 
11. Apisalome Saukuru
12. Kitione Kautoga 
13. Taane Milne
14. Noah Nailagoliva
15. Gordon Whippy
16. Watisoni Waqanisaravi
17. Sirilo Lovokuro

18. Jason Qareqare
19. Mesake Ravonu
20. Caleb Navale

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dunbar said:

. As I get older, I become less and less jingoistic.  In fact Rugby League is pretty much the only sport where I care about England winning now.

I`m far worse, I`ve been actively barracking against Oz teams for years now, namely the cricket, because I can`t stand what a bunch of big-heads they are, and union, that I suppose, hardly needs explaining.

Funny part is though, my sons have taken up Dad`s bad habits, and I have to remind them to be careful of what you say and where you say it, people can be touchy about these things, and certainly no whoops of delight in public when a particularly adverse score against the above mentioned sides comes through.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

Jack De Belin's selection is odd.

I recall him saying before the World Cup that he wouldn't feel right taking a place over someone else. That's what he is ready to do now.

I expect the pay day has increased as this is an NRL organised event, bound by the profit sharing agreement.

• Like 1

Predicted Tonga 'A': 

1. Isaiah Iongi
2. Tony Francis
3. Viliami Vailea
4. Deloise Hoeter
5. Sione Hopoate
6. Naati Teaupa
7. Sione Moala
8. Fonua Pole
9. Haele Finau
10. Peter Hola 
11. Kulikefu Finefueaki
12. Leka Halasima
13. Joseph Vuna
14. Temple-Olympia Koloamatangi-Kalepo
15. Feao Tongia
16. Pone Tongia
17. Salesi Foketi

18. Chris Vea'ila
19. Takitau Mapapalangi
20. Semisi Kioa
21. Sione Vaihu

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mojo said:

A lot of talented up and coming players for the Tongan A team

Definitely. I should've guessed Haele Finau was Tongan based on the name but hadn't considered him for the England tour, given Soni Luke is out I'm quite surprised they didn't take him across. Otukolo must be injured.

• Like 1

Potential Toa Samoa A team

1 Joash Papali'i

2 David Nofoaluma

3 Marion Seve

4 Enari Tuala

5 Alofiana Khan-Pareira

6 Josh Schuster

7 Ronald Volkman

8 Oregon Kaufusi

9 Blaize Talagi

10 Pasami Saulo