Next season's competition..

creditwhereitsdews

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Indeed.

I hope that the club will soon be announcing a fan's forum at which many of these points might be addressed. If so I will be a very interested attendee.

Yes me too. I will definitely attend. Also willing to assist in any way that I can. Just want our club to be the very best that it is capable of being wherever that may take us. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

There are awards too for seating, but no allowance (as far as I can see) for clubs having areas for those spectators who wish to stand. 

There is and there isn't. In order to gain the max 1.5pts for facilities a club's stadium has to meet 9 criteria* (essentially the minimum standards for a SL ground as stated in the Operational Rules, which have been in place for years but never enforced). A club meeting 8 of those gets the same score of 0.5pts as a club meeting 0......

*The seat related measure is 2000 or more permanent seats

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

There is and there isn't. In order to gain the max 1.5pts for facilities a club's stadium has to meet 9 criteria* (essentially the minimum standards for a SL ground as stated in the Operational Rules, which have been in place for years but never enforced). A club meeting 8 of those gets the same score of 0.5pts as a club meeting 0......

*The seat related measure is 2000 or more permanent seats

Where do I have to look to see what the whole criteria and point scoring situation is? And also the IMG club listing's. 

58 minutes ago, Lupset Ram said:

Where do I have to look to see what the whole criteria and point scoring situation is? And also the IMG club listing's. 

Grading handbook here

https://www.rugby-league.com/uploads/docs/Grading Handbook (Final Version).pdf

Club scores below - individual club breakdowns have not been issues but several have released their own (Salford, 'fax, Widnes, Hunslet and yourselves being ones I've seen)

F9RhhaKWAAAjdz0?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

Think I've worked out Wakefield & Oldham's strategy for next season🤔

Simply sign up every player so other team's have to resort to signing amateur players🤔

I've not seen a list of players Wakefield are releasing yet, but signing new ones hand over fist 🤔

1 hour ago, coolie said:

Simply sign up every player so other team's have to resort to signing amateur players🤔

I've not seen a list of players Wakefield are releasing yet, but signing new ones hand over fist 🤔

Doncaster seems to be splashing the cash too for 2024.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, coolie said:

It's a carp strategy for Wakefield. Even finishing bottom wouldn't negate the point they'll gain from opening the new stand........

• Like 2

On 31/10/2023 at 10:12, andyram said:

Doncaster seems to be splashing the cash too for 2024.

Loads of teams will be spending brass they have or haven't got.  The b******ks that is IMG will ensure that.....

A few clubs throwing some serious money about and good luck to them.

The thing that I can never get my head around is how the salary cap works? The players such as Oldham in league one and Doncaster in the championship are signing will be on some good contracts,es those coming from a full-time environment. 

Edited by graham fisher

57 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

The thing that I can never get my head around is how the salary cap works? The players such as Oldham in league one and Doncaster in the championship are signing will be on some good contracts,es those coming from a full-time environment. 

I believe the salary cap is the same for champ and L1 as what it is for SL. Whilst Oldham are clearly spending a good amount of money I can't imagine it'll be anywhere near the salary cap amount. Look at Fev (and cougars to some extent) last season as well.

Separately, I think we might have stolen Adam Mitchell back from you guys to be out assistant next season. Seems to be the rumour on the old Facebook anyway.

48 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

Thanks for that. Yes I believe you have, good lad is Adam, done a great job at the Rams. 

If true he's coming in a coaching capacity rather than Strength and Conditioning. We've stolen Paul Royston back from Batley for the S&C. They've both worked with our new coach in the past and I think they're all good mates.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, graham fisher said:

The salary cap is the same as for SL. However, clubs need to demonstrate that they can afford the expenditure before getting anywhere near that amount. In addition salaries of players in PT clubs are very hard to monitor - in a FT environment everything that is earned which might be associated with the club counts towards the cap. In a PT situation it is difficult to demand that players reveal all of their earnings from outside the game. It could be a minefield but not club outside of SL (except Leigh in 2022) has ever approached the cap, and that includes Fev in 2023.

This has been a perceived problem since 1895 by the way.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 31/10/2023 at 08:35, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Grading handbook here

https://www.rugby-league.com/uploads/docs/Grading Handbook (Final Version).pdf

Club scores below - individual club breakdowns have not been issues but several have released their own (Salford, 'fax, Widnes, Hunslet and yourselves being ones I've seen)

F9RhhaKWAAAjdz0?format=jpg&name=large

My old fashioned old man's brain is having difficulty comprehending where we are going here. 

With the echoes of the cheering and booing from 2023 having barely subsided, with most clubs not yet knowing their full contingent of players for next year, and with all clubs not included in Super League not even being sure of the league structure which will apply to them next year we are already in position 27 of the league. That's OK then, why bother with actually playing the game in 2024?

In fact they could stop messing about with 26 men running around a field with people watching who actually care about and understand the game. Instead they could employ artificial intelligence to transmit an artificial game of rugby being played by artificial players, on an artificial pitch, surrounded by artificial flashy flashy electronic billboards (vital to the game apparently), behind which could be artificial stands, filled with artificial fans, making artificial crowd noises at the appropriate times. 

The mindless marketing fodder that the game is being restyled for would love it. Also, just think of the money that would be saved on the cost of washing powder and grass cutting. 

Win-win whichever way you look at it. 

• Like 6

22 hours ago, STEVE P said:

My old fashioned old man's brain is having difficulty comprehending where we are going here. 

With the echoes of the cheering and booing from 2023 having barely subsided, with most clubs not yet knowing their full contingent of players for next year, and with all clubs not included in Super League not even being sure of the league structure which will apply to them next year we are already in position 27 of the league. That's OK then, why bother with actually playing the game in 2024?

In fact they could stop messing about with 26 men running around a field with people watching who actually care about and understand the game. Instead they could employ artificial intelligence to transmit an artificial game of rugby being played by artificial players, on an artificial pitch, surrounded by artificial flashy flashy electronic billboards (vital to the game apparently), behind which could be artificial stands, filled with artificial fans, making artificial crowd noises at the appropriate times. 

The mindless marketing fodder that the game is being restyled for would love it. Also, just think of the money that would be saved on the cost of washing powder and grass cutting. 

Win-win whichever way you look at it. 

Brilliant post. 

• Like 1

On 02/11/2023 at 15:21, Blind side johnny said:

The salary cap is the same as for SL. However, clubs need to demonstrate that they can afford the expenditure before getting anywhere near that amount. In addition salaries of players in PT clubs are very hard to monitor - in a FT environment everything that is earned which might be associated with the club counts towards the cap. In a PT situation it is difficult to demand that players reveal all of their earnings from outside the game. It could be a minefield but not club outside of SL (except Leigh in 2022) has ever approached the cap, and that includes Fev in 2023.

This has been a perceived problem since 1895 by the way.

I'm not sure that is still the case with a 'Sustainability Cap' only being applicable now to 'Financial Focus' clubs, ie those in 'special measures', and even then it's at the RFL's discretion

4 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I'm not sure that is still the case with a 'Sustainability Cap' only being applicable now to 'Financial Focus' clubs, ie those in 'special measures', and even then it's at the RFL's discretion

OK.

As far as DRLFC is concerned I believe we can regard it as an irrelevance. On the other hand why some clubs in the Championship and C1 are spending big this season baffles me.

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

OK.

As far as DRLFC is concerned I believe we can regard it as an irrelevance. On the other hand why some clubs in the Championship and C1 are spending big this season baffles me.

I just don't get the level of investment.. Oldham's offensive is like cracking a walnut with a nuclear bomb... Why all those high rolling players beggers belief for League 1,

The championship just seems like a fire sale scramble, Doncaster, York, Sheffield,Wakefield, on a lesser front Bradford, Toulouse, Halifax.. Featherstone clearing virtually the entire toybox.. Its going to be exciting to watch the twists and turns throughout the season. 

Then the also rans 

Batley

Dewsbury 

Whitehaven 

Swinton 

Widnes

Barrow

Don't say it lacks ambition because before a ball is kicked I would take 12th place now. 

Don't say we're aiming for top 6 because thinking we're capable of that.... 🤔

Needs their medication ranking up

Tough season ahead for a lot of teams, objective is to survive, stay up.... And build on that 🤔

Edited by coolie
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, coolie said:

I just don't get the level of investment.. Oldham's offensive is like cracking a walnut with a nuclear bomb... Why all those high rolling players beggers belief for League 1,

The championship just seems like a fire sale scramble, Doncaster, York, Sheffield,Wakefield, on a lesser front Bradford, Toulouse, Halifax.. Featherstone clearing virtually the entire toybox.. Its going to be exciting to watch the twists and turns throughout the season. 

Then the also rans 

Batley

Dewsbury 

Whitehaven 

Swinton 

Widnes

Barrow

Don't say it lacks ambition because before a ball is kicked I would take 12th place now. 

Don't say we're aiming for top 6 because thinking we're capable of that.... 🤔

Needs their medication ranking up

Tough season ahead for a lot of teams, objective is to survive, stay up.... And build on that 🤔

Oldham IMHO have gone all in on the back of a new board and some barren years for the club. I have no inside knowledge but I suspect that the two year player contracts will be incentive based. During this next few years they are basically going for it and no doubt hoping to gel and retain the nucleus of this new squad along the way.