Does anyone think the game is in a good place?

4 hours ago, Big Picture said:

The reason is because it's based in the wrong places: smallish, unfashionable, economically disadvantaged towns in the North.

The British public doesn't consider those towns (the few they've even heard of) the sort of places where big time major pro sport is played, therefore those places don't rate.  Because they don't rate, the TV audience is stagnant and the value of the TV rights is pitifully low.

This is why there's no way to solve the problem within the sport's current structure in Britain. 

I think it has alot to do with the international game. RL in the UK grew on the back of incoming tours from Australia and NZ in the 80s and 90s. Gt Britain were competitive in these series. Everything flowed down. Once Sky and Murdoch took over the game changed and hasn't been the same since.

• Like 2

A mixed bag. 

SL getting all matches covered by media is a positive.

Attendance at matches is excellent.

12 sides in SL playing a long season with loop fixtures is repetitive.  

Lack of funding below SL and uncertainty over League 1 is poverty level stuff. 

Competitive NH international RL has reached an all time low. 

• Like 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

14 hours ago, rlno1 said:

I think it has alot to do with the international game. RL in the UK grew on the back of incoming tours from Australia and NZ in the 80s and 90s. Gt Britain were competitive in these series. Everything flowed down. Once Sky and Murdoch took over the game changed and hasn't been the same since.

You remember the 80s series very differently from me. 

• Like 1

I’ve not posted on the forum for a while. I’m 60 years old and have loved the game since being a kid and for the first time ever, I have enjoyed watching the NRL far more than our own domestic competition. 
I think what frustrates me is the amount of laying on and slowing down of the play the ball, coupled with teams abusing the six again rule which results in a total lack of momentum in many games. Whenever a “ weaker “ team makes a break, by using the above tactics, it allows the “ stronger “ team to reset their defence and then use their superiority in attack to win games. Granted, this year the games appear to have been closer but still the main suspects have been top at the business end of the season. 
Make the play the ball quicker and the game more exciting again 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bring back the Boyd said:

I’ve not posted on the forum for a while. I’m 60 years old and have loved the game since being a kid and for the first time ever, I have enjoyed watching the NRL far more than our own domestic competition. 
I think what frustrates me is the amount of laying on and slowing down of the play the ball, coupled with teams abusing the six again rule which results in a total lack of momentum in many games. Whenever a “ weaker “ team makes a break, by using the above tactics, it allows the “ stronger “ team to reset their defence and then use their superiority in attack to win games. Granted, this year the games appear to have been closer but still the main suspects have been top at the business end of the season. 

I think several of us on here think the ruck is a mess.  To compound it, players actually look at the referee to await the signal to get off/clear it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bring back the Boyd said:

This for me is the best post I’ve read on here so big up to you sir. Spot on for me in everything you’ve said. 

As a regular poster for years on here and an eternal optimist, I'm slightly worried. Our sport has a neanderthal outlook at times. 

Yesterday, a pub pal at my local was chewing the fat with me.

"I'm a Rugby League man" he exclaimed proudly.

Minutes later...

"I wanted Wigan to win in the Grand Final as Catalans shouldn't be in "our" league."

Trying to explain to a blinkered northerner about the bigger picture was frustrating. However he's one of many.

Add to that a similar quiet RFL about the loss of 3 clubs in a year (2 of which have been in our presence for 20 years plus) and it is worrying. 

We need a leader who can drag the game forward, constantly communicate with the wider world (media etc) havd continuity and not let clubs take control. You look at the GF and think how thd he'll is our game is in the state its in. 58k. Only 58k people say. Negative only 58k. We need to look past that and look that and compliment Catalans for getting to a GF and are doing more for our game at the moment, if not only for media purposes than clubs like Huddersfield, Wakefield, my own club Bradford has over recent years. Luckily my club has finally realised this. 

• Like 2

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

2 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

As a regular poster for years on here and an eternal optimist, I'm slightly worried. Our sport has a neanderthal outlook at times. 

Yesterday, a pub pal at my local was chewing the fat with me.

"I'm a Rugby League man" he exclaimed proudly.

Minutes later...

"I wanted Wigan to win in the Grand Final as Catalans shouldn't be in "our" league."

Trying to explain to a blinkered northerner about the bigger picture was frustrating. However he's one of many.

Add to that a similar quiet RFL about the loss of 3 clubs in a year (2 of which have been in our presence for 20 years plus) and it is worrying. 

We need a leader who can drag the game forward, constantly communicate with the wider world (media etc) havd continuity and not let clubs take control. You look at the GF and think how thd he'll is our game is in the state its in. 58k. Only 58k people say. Negative only 58k. We need to look past that and look that and compliment Catalans for getting to a GF and are doing more for our game at the moment, if not only for media purposes than clubs like Huddersfield, Wakefield, my own club Bradford has over recent years. Luckily my club has finally realised this. 

It’s hard unless you’ve money, for me I’d be plastering all our players with tops off all over the place, that would entice women, then theirs the men and kids which I’m lost 😉🤣🤣

The game is holding it's own overall. The NRL is flying and taking hold in pacific countries. In the Northern Hemisphere probably more countries than ever are playing the game. The French game is the strongest it's been for years and a genuine success story in Catalans. BUT self interest still rules. The 3rd tier in England will be gone in the next couple of years even though it was entirely avoidable. The international game has taken a step back too. 

As always things could be much better in a number of different ways and I'm fairly disillusioned but there are small glimmers of optimism. 

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

The game is holding it's own overall. The NRL is flying and taking hold in pacific countries. In the Northern Hemisphere probably more countries than ever are playing the game. The French game is the strongest it's been for years and a genuine success story in Catalans. BUT self interest still rules. The 3rd tier in England will be gone in the next couple of years even though it was entirely avoidable. The international game has taken a step back too. 

As always things could be much better in a number of different ways and I'm fairly disillusioned but there are small glimmers of optimism. 

I think two tiers isn't a bad thing though. Whether all the current Champ and L1 clubs would survive remains to be seen but having a strong two tier structure could see the return of P/R one day.