Championship Meeting #2

3 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I'd be pretty sure they'd be exempt from promotion, although should this happen and a reserves side finishes in a promotion position who, if anyone, gets promoted becomes an interesting question.

Nobody.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I'd be pretty sure they'd be exempt from promotion, although should this happen and a reserves side finishes in a promotion position who, if anyone, gets promoted becomes an interesting question.

Tell you something Les, If promotion was allowed I am sure one or two of the SL clubs would go for it. After all it would make financial sense.

Would SL reserve sides be exempt from promotion from league 1?

In systems where reserves play in the league systems, the main stipulation seems to be that they can't be promoted to the same level as the 1st team. 

Likewise in the unlikely situation where a reserve team does find itself finishing in a promotion spot to the same division as their 1st team, the rankings simply move around them. This happened in 2011 in Spain when Barcelona B finished 3rd in the Spanish 2nd Division and the 4 playoff spots moved to include 4th to 7th. 

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Would SL reserve sides be exempt from promotion from league 1?

In systems where reserves play in the league systems, the main stipulation seems to be that they can't be promoted to the same level as the 1st team. 

Likewise in the unlikely situation where a reserve team does find itself finishing in a promotion spot to the same division as their 1st team, the rankings simply move around them. This happened in 2011 in Spain when Barcelona B finished 3rd in the Spanish 2nd Division and the 4 playoff spots moved to include 4th to 7th. 

They would never get promoted to SL, but getting promoted to the championship would not compromise the parent club and could tempt some. Just think of the extra cash it would generate and I am sure one or two would have no problems doing that.

50 minutes ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

There's now 9 pages on here and 36 pages on the IMG gradings topic. 99% of content is utter tripe and a complete waste of time and effort. How people can't see the ultimate plan and ending to all this is beyond belief. A 14 team SL and ###### the rest of you. That's it❗

Whilst I agree we no longer seem to be talking about the actual sport itself and that is a sad indicator where the game is at the moment. The bit I disagree with is 14 teams SL. more chance of it going to 10 in my opinion. However I seem to think it will stick at 12 unless far more money comes in.

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

They would never get promoted to SL, but getting promoted to the championship would not compromise the parent club and could tempt some. Just think of the extra cash it would generate and I am sure one or two would have no problems doing that.

Of course it would. Imagine next year if wakey stay down and their academy gets promoted from L1. How do you move players around from reserve to first? Plus cup tied players it's a nightmare in waiting. 

End of season the reserves are on the cusp of going down the first have won the league. So the first move their players to the reserves and help them stay up while the firsts sacrifice a few irrelevant games.

Higher league more revenue for the overall club.

Edited by Midlands hobo
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Whilst I agree we no longer seem to be talking about the actual sport itself and that is a sad indicator where the game is at the moment. The bit I disagree with is 14 teams SL. more chance of it going to 10 in my opinion. However I seem to think it will stick at 12 unless far more money comes in.

Having 14 teams seems to be the only way, under their own criteria, that they will get Bradford back in though. 🤔

I think most would float around in-between lower championship and League 1. Not all clubs would want to run these second teams too which should be noted, and Catalans and Toulouse would have theirs in France.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Midlands hobo said:

Of course it would. Imagine next year if wakey stay down and their academy gets promoted from L1. How do you move players around from reserve to first? Plus cup tied players it's a nightmare in waiting. 

End of season the reserves are on the cusp of going down the first have won the league. So the first move their players to the reserves and help them stay up while the firsts sacrifice a few irrelevant games.

Higher league more revenue for the overall club.

Perhaps then its a pathway only available to Grade A clubs (therefore immune from relegation to the championship).

Clubs couldn't have both teams in the same league anyway, the second team would always have to be in the division below.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Perhaps then its a pathway only available to Grade A clubs (therefore immune from relegation to the championship).

Clubs couldn't have both teams in the same league anyway, the second team would always have to be in the division below.

This is ridiculous, 

Must have come from SL

Put SL reserves in L1 allow them to get promoted into Champ [and get the £100k or whatever CF] and push another champ team down into the AWFUL L1 and that champ team drops to 15K CF.

Actually it would not surprise me if the RFL allow this 

How many years until we have all the remaining teams in L1 - Well those that still survive

• Like 2

IMG have already stated yesterday about moving to a 14 team SL sooner rather than later 

9 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

This is ridiculous, 

Must have come from SL

Put SL reserves in L1 allow them to get promoted into Champ [and get the £100k or whatever CF] and push another champ team down into the AWFUL L1 and that champ team drops to 15K CF.

How many years until we have all the remaining teams in L1 - Well those that still survive

League 1 will not survive without more teams in it. Those teams will either come from the championship or from Super League reserves or both.

36 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

This is ridiculous, 

Must have come from SL

£100k?  Those days are well gone for all but a handful of Championship clubs.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Just now, Griff said:

£100k?  Those days are well gone for all but a handful of Championship clubs.

Should be more than enough then for those improvements to get an A grade.