Sat 28th Oct: International: England v Tonga KO 14:30 @ Huddersfield (BBC)

Who will win?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 7 to 12 points
    • Tonga by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/10/23 at 14:00

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

Went to maybe get a ticket - theyve taken them off sale

Enjoy the Huddersfield ticket office. I did warn folk.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

5 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Wigan-v-Hull-KR-Jan-1986-John-Player-Trophy-Final-Rugby-League-Programme-teamsheet.jpg

I think it would have been less likely in actual programmes when we would hope their accurate names would be used.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think it would have been less likely in actual programmes when we would hope their accurate names would be used.

So where were they listed as Sean?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

10 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Enjoy the Huddersfield ticket office. I did warn folk.

I won’t be going now, ill watch it on TV instead.

Even with all it’s faults I bought a fair few tickets on the same day from the RLWC ticket site

Edited by Chrispmartha

8 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

So where were they listed as Sean?

You are asking me to remember the specifics of local newspaper articles and the like from almost 40 years ago.

I tell you what, let's save ourselves a bit of time.  You are right, they were both always referred to as Shaun.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

You are asking me to remember the specifics of local newspaper articles and the like from almost 40 years ago.

I tell you what, let's save ourselves a bit of time.  You are right, they were both always referred to as Shaun.

You seem to think it was a loaded question, I just wondered where you meant when you said it was listed that way if programme team lists didn't count. 

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

I won’t be going now, ill watch it on TV instead.

Even with all it’s faults I bought a fair few tickets on the same day from the RLWC ticket site

In case of any confusion over my view, it is completely mental to take the tickets offline on the day of the game when what you are buying are e-tickets. 

• Like 4

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Nothing what Wane does amazes me.

Can always tell when you are annoyed with him Harry because you stop calling him Mr Wane and just Wane.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Crazy how Hill and Lees are ahead of SL's form prop in Mulhern!

I understand why Hill is in there. Experience. When you look at the backline, it’s incredibly inexperienced at this level. I however, would definitely have Mulhern in over Lees. I’d probably have Currie in over Farrell too. We really need to play some younger forwards. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Crazy how Hill and Lees are ahead of SL's form prop in Mulhern!

I agree that Mulhern deserves a run.  Lees in particular with ball in hand has been a bit disappointing. 

• Like 1

Just now, GeordieSaint said:

I understand why Hill is in there. Experience. When you look at the backline, it’s incredibly inexperienced at this level. I however, would definitely have Mulhern in over Lees. I’d probably have Currie in over Farrell too. We really need to play some younger forwards. 

I'd probably start Hill at his home ground and let him ramp up for a big 20 minutes, alongside one of Burgess or Mulhern.

The other of them with McMeeken as interchange props would be a good rotation.

If Farrell's not starting, I don't think he should be in the 17. He's an 80-minute player and you lose an impact from the bench. Someone like Currie might offer that.

I think there is an argument though that Farrell should be starting over Bateman, who I thought was fairly lacklustre last weekend.

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree that Mulhern deserves a run.  Lees in particular with ball in hand has been a bit disappointing. 

I hope Hill has a good showing at his home ground. Lees is there for his tackling and energy, but I would have Mulhern among the prop rotation over him.

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

To be honest I think he is a lot disappointing with ball in hand we are in a bad way if the coach considers him a good prop of international standard, I thought WANE was playing his selection to get more in the Saints ground last week overloading with Saints player's, no such excuses for his selection this week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StandOffHalf said:

I hope Hill has a good showing at his home ground. Lees is there for his tackling and energy, but I would have Mulhern among the prop rotation over him.

I thought Lees did well last week with some good low tackles stopping some momentum from the Tongan's... Fonua-Blake in particular. 

But is that enough for an international prop. I guess he has a similar role to Jake Trbojevic this morning.  High work rate and technically very good in defence.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I'd probably start Hill at his home ground and let him ramp up for a big 20 minutes, alongside one of Burgess or Mulhern.

The other of them with McMeeken as interchange props would be a good rotation.

If Farrell's not starting, I don't think he should be in the 17. He's an 80-minute player and you lose an impact from the bench. Someone like Currie might offer that.

I think there is an argument though that Farrell should be starting over Bateman, who I thought was fairly lacklustre last weekend.

Disagree on the latter paragraph. Bateman is an international class forward with bucket loads of experience both in terms of the team and representation at this level. Farrell is a cracking SL player but has very limited international experience. I’d take Bateman every time as ‘form’ isn’t everything. There is a reason why the Aussies continue to pick some players in key positions over others more in form. 

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I thought Lees did well last week with some good low tackles stopping some momentum from the Tongan's... Fonua-Blake in particular. 

But is that enough for an international prop. I guess he has a similar role to Jake Trbojevic this morning.  High work rate and technically very good in defence.

That's a positive, but I think you need more from a test prop.

8 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Disagree on the latter paragraph. Bateman is an international class forward with bucket loads of experience both in terms of the team and representation at this level. Farrell is a cracking SL player but has very limited international experience. I’d take Bateman every time as ‘form’ isn’t everything. There is a reason why the Aussies continue to pick some players in key positions over others more in form. 

I'm a huge fan of Bateman. I was talking more in regards of Farrell on the bench. I don't see the point of him on the interchange bench.

Bateman is due a big game, so I hope he goes well today.

Edited by StandOffHalf