Sat 28th Oct: International: Australia v New Zealand (at AAMI Park, Melbourne) 10.10 am KO

Sat 28th Oct: International: Australia v New Zealand (at AAMI Park, Melbourne) 10.10 am KO  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win

• Australia 13+
    • Australia 7+
    • Australia 1+
    • Draw
    • New Zealand 1+
    • New Zealand 7+
    • New Zealand 13+

very disappointing - just when you think Aus look beatable and NZ look like they can do them - then guess what? yep- same old story = well we can hope for next week as usual

• Like 2

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

36:18 at FT. An impressively resilient Kangaroos performance versus a powerful but error-prone Kiwi side that looked short of ideas in attack.

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just to vent some frustration again.  The South Africa vs. Italy International match is listed on the BBC fixtures but this isn't.  Bizzare. 

• Like 6

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Australia just annoyingly good as always. I watch many sports but I don't think there is an international team as consistent as Australia. Their play just never seems to dip below 95% of their ability and this never changes no matter who get picked or what the team looks like on paper.

• Like 4

NZ were always long odds to do anything tonight.

They've got to treat that as an introduction and improve massively for a big final at home. They couldn't do much in the second 40 minutes tonight. Their ball players were corralled and shut down by pressure and they looked short of spark in attack.

Next week is the important one! Hope the knocks don't keep any Kiwis out.

5 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Fantastic line-running from Cam Murray to stride through and back himself for the corner.

Vossy says he equals Ron Coote's record for a Kangaroo back-rower of scoring a try in 6 successive tests.

Reminds of a young Wayne Pearce striding away from the defence in the 80's.

• Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Australia just annoyingly good as always. I watch many sports but I don't think there is an international team as consistent as Australia. Their play just never seems to dip below 95% of their ability and this never changes no matter who get picked or what the team looks like on paper.

The systems allow players to slot in and run like a well-oiled machine.

• Like 2

Feels like too much of a gap for the Kiwis to run down with Haas, Fa'asuamaleaui, and Martin to return for the Kangaroos next week, especially considering the big guns in the Kiwis pack have come out of that fairly bruised. 

Kiwis missing Brandon Smith who has been a real talisman for them since he debuted, Marshall-King also one of the form dummy-halves in the NRL to give Smith the spell he needs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UTK said:

Kiwis missing Brandon Smith who has been a real talisman for them since he debuted, Marshall-King also one of the form dummy-halves in the NRL to give Smith the spell he needs.

They've won 9 out of 13 with the Cheese but the 4 losses were 2 each against OZ and England so I don't think he's the piece that will take them to the next level.

5 minutes ago, UTK said:

Crowd of 20,548 which is probably a pass mark.

And next week's game is at a ground that only holds 25K so they didn't exactly aim very high for this year.

Always going to be a tough gig trying to beat Australia in Australia. Better chance next week. 

That said, international rugby being played involving Australia is not to be scoffed at. More of it please. The more of it will also improve their competitors. So I just wish the NRL would allow internationals during SOO. It’s so important for the broader sport. We’d easily dominate the Pacific if they would. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

the haka with the stare off was worth the admission alone

I find that really annoying. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

the haka?

the stare off?

or my post?

The stare off.

• Like 1

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

loved it 

Fair enough.  And if it adds anything to the entertainment and value of international League then all good.  I just find it manufactured and too WWE for me.

• Like 2

I kind of agree, @Dunbar. This trend of getting up close and in faces during the war dances is a bit showy and unnecessary.

Do the dance and get on with the game. Advancing every time lessens the novelty and intensity of the up-close feel of an event like the Haka before the 2008 World Cup Final - where the Aussies advanced on the Haka.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Fair enough.  And if it adds anything to the entertainment and value of international League then all good.  I just find it manufactured and too WWE for me.

Going by social media you are definitely in a tiny minority on that one.

5 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I kind of agree, @Dunbar. This trend of getting up close and in faces during the war dances is a bit showy and unnecessary.

Do the dance and get on with the game. Advancing every time lessens the novelty and intensity of the up-close feel of an event like the Haka before the 2008 World Cup Final - where the Aussies advanced on the Haka.

lets just have reverend and the makers on instead doing that one song they did 15 years ago - all do the hokey cokey and go home

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

9 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

They've won 9 out of 13 with the Cheese but the 4 losses were 2 each against OZ and England so I don't think he's the piece that will take them to the next level.

And next week's game is at a ground that only holds 25K so they didn't exactly aim very high for this year.

Really leads the intensity of their middle though and provides a genuine running threat to capitalise on their strong middles through the ruck. Agreed that he probably doesn't get the win there but he's their most important out, especially when poor Foz is now starting in the 9 jersey. 

2019 Oceanic Cup had a 22k average over 3 games but first-string double-headers were used at Eden Park. 2014 4N averaged 20.5k over 7 games with double-headers. Rolling average for this currently above 20k so if we push up to the 2019 22k average with an extra game and no double-headers I'd give it a pass, definitely not shooting for the stars though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dkw said:

Going by social media you are definitely in a tiny minority on that one.

I'm OK with that.

And as I say, if it good for the sport then I am happy with it whether I like it or not.

But seeing players pushing foreheads into each other pre match is not my thing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

lets just have reverend and the makers on instead doing that one song they did 15 years ago - all do the hokey cokey and go home

I'm not against players getting in each other's faces, but it almost seems to have become the norm and be expected over the last while.

Reserve the edginess for when it really matters in finals, etc.!

• Like 2