Ronnie O'Sullivan

He just says stuff to make headlines.

As an obsessive snooker fan I simply cannot stand his attitude. He probably is the most talented player ever but I can never say he is the greatest player ever because his attitude towards the game is just disgusting and his ego just makes my skin crawl. 

In recent years he has said he thinks snooker would basically die and no one would want to watch if he retired. He has also said he would not encourage anyone to take up the sport because it is a rubbish life. He said he didn't think there was any talented young players coming through the ranks. He said amateurs shouldn't be allowed to play in World Tour tournaments despite going through all the qualifying rounds just like any other player. 

The total lack of respect for the game and his fellow players is disgusting and it isn't helped bh how he is egged on by his hooligan fans. I honestly find it hard to watch him play, not because of him as such, but because of his fans. His opponent could play the greatest shot ever seen and would get a round of applause. Ronnie could them play a pretty simple, straightforward shot and will get raucous cheers and applause. I've seen so many comments online from people constantly belittling other players and bumming over Ronnie even when the subject of conversation has got nothing to do with him. I've also seen so many people say they aren't interested in keeping watching a tournament after he's knocked out. Yeah, massive snooker fans they are! 

Sorry for the rant, I just love snooker and think this man makes a mockery of a fantastic sport. 

• Like 3

I don’t follow him closely, but doesn’t he have well documented health issues that could be attributed to his outbursts and sometimes eccentric interviews?

I have watched snooker since the early 80s and seen all the great players of that vintage and afterwards.

Poor etiquette by his fans is not something to promote although I have noticed snooker itself has become more and more razzmatazz in its presentation even extending to wrestling style intros and ringwalk music.

Not ideal if you then want everyone to sit in appreciative hushed tones!

• Like 1

There are times when he comes across as genuinely thoughtful, charming and having the emotional depth his fans attribute to him.

Then there are much more frequent times when he's a graceless knob.

Some say this is a sign of his complexity and inner turmoil.

Others say it's because he can't maintain the "tortured artist" pretence for long periods at a time.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Must be frustrating all around that he’s broken out of the sub-culture that is snooker and is a well known mainstream figure.

Yet many in the snooker world seemingly want a more solemn figurehead, but if he was that then would he really draw publicity for snooker itself, good or bad?

I must admit his erratic behaviour does seem pretty consistent to me for a person with his well publicised health issues (albeit someone under the microscope of being the most well known snooker star).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

There are times when he comes across as genuinely thoughtful, charming and having the emotional depth his fans attribute to him.

Then there are much more frequent times when he's a graceless knob.

Some say this is a sign of his complexity and inner turmoil.

Others say it's because he can't maintain the "tortured artist" pretence for long periods at a time.

I'd say it's very obvious that he struggles quite noticeably with his mental health.

And, not to put too fine a point on it, poor mental health often means coming across as a graceless knob to other people a lot of the time.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

He just says stuff to make headlines.

As an obsessive snooker fan I simply cannot stand his attitude. He probably is the most talented player ever but I can never say he is the greatest player ever because his attitude towards the game is just disgusting and his ego just makes my skin crawl. 

In recent years he has said he thinks snooker would basically die and no one would want to watch if he retired. He has also said he would not encourage anyone to take up the sport because it is a rubbish life. He said he didn't think there was any talented young players coming through the ranks. He said amateurs shouldn't be allowed to play in World Tour tournaments despite going through all the qualifying rounds just like any other player. 

The total lack of respect for the game and his fellow players is disgusting and it isn't helped bh how he is egged on by his hooligan fans. I honestly find it hard to watch him play, not because of him as such, but because of his fans. His opponent could play the greatest shot ever seen and would get a round of applause. Ronnie could them play a pretty simple, straightforward shot and will get raucous cheers and applause. I've seen so many comments online from people constantly belittling other players and bumming over Ronnie even when the subject of conversation has got nothing to do with him. I've also seen so many people say they aren't interested in keeping watching a tournament after he's knocked out. Yeah, massive snooker fans they are! 

Sorry for the rant, I just love snooker and think this man makes a mockery of a fantastic sport. 

No need to apologise....I'm not really a snooker follower but like most I have heard if him 

Has an ego the size of Jupiter....probably a bank balance like it too....which is galling for the fans who pay their tickets money if he is essentially saying the thing they are paying for is not his passion 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

No need to apologise....I'm not really a snooker follower but like most I have heard if him 

Has an ego the size of Jupiter....probably a bank balance like it too....which is galling for the fans who pay their tickets money if he is essentially saying the thing they are paying for is not his passion 

I think he's made a career prize money total of around £20million which is why I think if he's not into playing then just bloody retire! Not like he has to keep playing to pay the bills is it?! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I think he's made a career prize money total of around £20million which is why I think if he's not into playing then just bloody retire! Not like he has to keep playing to pay the bills is it?! 

If he is as prone to depression as it looks like he is then stopping playing is likely to be quite a dangerous thing to do, no?

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

If he is as prone to depression as it looks like he is then stopping playing is likely to be quite a dangerous thing to do, no?

That is the thing with peeps who suffer from mental illness , medication can help but can also create problems. Maybe Ronnie , if he has been prescribed meds the side effects can be problematic , joe public , if they feel meds are not helping disregard warnings not to mix meds with alchohol with the inevitable ###### results.

From what I have seen of Ronnie he has not strayed down that path yet , he is good on the table but being good in life is another matter as he will not disclose all of his demons. He has other interests which I am sure his consultant is steering him to indulge in more before retirement , I am just thankfull I have seen this genius on the snooker table.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

If he had been born a few years earlier he would probably have got a lot more.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

7 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

What do you mean? 

He came into the game at the end of the ‘golden’ period with higher prizes and much bigger tv audiences.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

57 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Prize money now is much bigger than its ever been and there are far more tournaments now as well. 

I thought with the tobacco ban and plummeting viewing figures the sponsorships dropped massively?

Or has it come out of a blip?

Edited by Bedford Roughyed

31 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I thought with the tobacco ban and plummeting viewing figures the sponsorships dropped massively?

It dropped quite a bit in the 90s but when matchroom came in it recovered massively, plus the massive amount of sponsorship that comes in from China these days. Back in the 80s there was about 4 or 5 ranking tournaments, now there tends to be around 16, with the odd one or two coming and going on the calender. A few years ago the World Championship winners prize money reached £500,000 for the first time. The UK Championship which is on now has a winners prize of £250,000. Even just smaller events like the Northern Irish or Scottish opens have a winners prize of £80,000. A top player in a single season can make £1,000,000 easily. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The big tournaments have never been bigger in everything but live TV audience (but they are decent when on the BBC).

The smaller ones?

Well, leisure centres in Crawley get used and players who complain find themselves no longer invited.

• 1 month later...

He was at it again last week . complaining all week about how he hated the venue . Then a rant about what he thinks of Ali Carter . Brilliant snooker player , but he seems to go out of his way to be offensive , almost as if he needs it to perform .Very Mc Enroesque  .

• Like 3