Tackle height law change confirmed

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Depressing . Player safety is one thing but we really have lost all common sense and empathy with the game with the level we’ve took things to . Allied to the slow motion scrutiny we give to tackles , along with players staying down in a game that prided itself on players getting up , I don’t know it just leaves a bit of a sour taste 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

I watched that game.  Really is difficult for both players and officials.

The players are the ones appealing and then making the challenge.

In ten years time when they've retired, some of them will have careers telling TV audiences that the game is soft now compared to when they played.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

16 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Depressing . Player safety is one thing but we really have lost all common sense and empathy with the game with the level we’ve took things to . Allied to the slow motion scrutiny we give to tackles , along with players staying down in a game that prided itself on players getting up , I don’t know it just leaves a bit of a sour taste 

15 minutes ago, Damien said:

Ridiculous

This one is entirely on the Manly players, they appealed that knock on hoping to get that head contact penalised.

They should be ashamed of themselves. 

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

18 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Slow motion has a place but in incidents such as this a proper look needs to be done in real time too. The game is played in real time and at speed, not frames of footage.

Analysing footage to pause it on a millisecond is just looking for fault and isn't what the use of this technology should be about.

The Fox commentary team I was listening to live (not the one in the clip) mentioned that they thought the VR was reluctant to give it and sounded embarrassed to give it... the implication being that he had no option but to penalise as there was head contact. 

But surely he would have been within his rights to say it was incidental head contact with no force so no penalty. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

This one is entirely on the Manly players, they appealed that knock on hoping to get that head contact penalised.

They should be ashamed of themselves. 

Cant agree . Players try it on , officials don’t have to play along . Some of the rulings are ridiculous , and this was one by a guy who’s refereed a million games , looked at three replays and gave a penalty 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Slow motion has a place but in incidents such as this a proper look needs to be done in real time too. The game is played in real time and at speed, not frames of footage.

Analysing footage to pause it on a millisecond is just looking for fault and isn't what the use of this technology should be about.

Indeed , I’ve said this  before . But also there’s got to be some common sense interfering with the  drive to have complete black and white rules to achieve consistency , because I’m afraid it isn’t a black and white game . You can’t penalise some things out of the game however much you want to 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Cant agree . Players try it on , officials don’t have to play along . Some of the rulings are ridiculous , and this was one by a guy who’s refereed a million games , looked at three replays and gave a penalty 

My post after the one you quoted stated that I thought the video ref should have let play continue. 

But I have to say, you thinking the players don't bear any blame in try to win that penalty goes against much of what you have said on this subject.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

My post after the one you quoted stated that I thought the video ref should have let play continue. 

But I have to say, you thinking the players don't bear any blame in try to win that penalty goes against much of what you have said on this subject.

Not at all , it’s two sided . Players are working the system to get penalties , it’s not palatable but it happens . It doesn’t matter if it’s not rewarded . Officials make decisions , either on the field or in the bunker. A player stays down and seconds later a penalty appears - why ? It’s a penalty in the tackle or it isnt  . Officials seem to react to an injury . Video refs seem to react to players staying down and work back from that . You’ll see a thousand tackles that are the same , but injury or actions  from players seem to stimulate reactions from officialdom . That’s what I don’t get , so it becomes a circle . I can’t blame players for doing it but it’s tedious and not what the game was , but it comes from it getting a dividend . You stop it by not rewarding it , and if you stay down to get a game stopped you should have to go off as you’re obviously injured . If I’m not making myself clear I apologise 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Not at all , it’s two sided . Players are working the system to get penalties , it’s not palatable but it happens . It doesn’t matter if it’s not rewarded . Officials make decisions , either on the field or in the bunker. A player stays down and seconds later a penalty appears - why ? It’s a penalty in the tackle or it isnt  . Officials seem to react to an injury . Video refs seem to react to players staying down and work back from that . You’ll see a thousand tackles that are the same , but injury or actions  from players seem to stimulate reactions from officialdom . That’s what I don’t get , so it becomes a circle . I can’t blame players for doing it but it’s tedious and not what the game was , but it comes from it getting a dividend . You stop it by not rewarding it , and if you stay down to get a game stopped you should have to go off as you’re obviously injured . If I’m not making myself clear I apologise 

I understand your point.

But I absolutely lay some blame on the players and coaches as well... because they will point fingers at the opposition for something they do themselves. 

I think this problem is solved as much by the players and coaches, to say enough is enough, as much as it is the officials to get the calls right.

• Like 1

Just now, Dunbar said:

I understand your point.

But I absolutely lay some blame on the players and coaches as well... because they will point fingers at the opposition for something they do themselves. 

I think this problem is solved as much by the players and coaches, to say enough is enough, as much as it is the officials to get the calls right.

Fair point 

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The players are the ones appealing and then making the challenge.

In ten years time when they've retired, some of them will have careers telling TV audiences that the game is soft now compared to when they played.

Oh yes, I agree but it makes for a pathetic spectacle.  Basically challenge anything and with luck you’ll get a result.  Chuffed the Dolphins won actually.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Damien said:

I often think the same on the so called downward pressure that is deemed to be put on a ball in the awarding of some try's, some are quite ridiculous.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just following on from the comment I made yesterday in how I envisage the professional game is going to be from next season with the armpit and below ruling, if what happened in the televised game last night when Matty Ashton was awarded a penalty try then we really are in for some fun, OK there was head contact but not direct, Burgess hit Ashton's shoulder first and a combination of the height of Burgess and Ashton in the action of stooping down to score caused the head contact, Ashton puts his foot in touch and also fumbles the ball on the floor prior to the try line, so if it is deemed that the head contact was the reason Ashton didn't score and a penalty try awarded then when is there going to some common sense displayed by the match day officials, and as @DavidM implied earlier when he said the game is not "black and white" I will say yes it is as far as the officials are concerned it is, there was a time when refs had their own personality and style of officiating, now they all seem to have been put in a blender and we have the same "black and white" from them all.

I am not entirely blaming the refs, to me it is a condition of televising every game they are simply afraid to make any mistakes they are under the microscope of the cameras, the commentators and yes the fans, when I went to Championship games and we had the same refs who had been on the telly previously they reffed the games in a completely different manner.

Edited by Harry Stottle

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just following on from the comment I made yesterday in how I envisage the professional game is going to be from next season with the armpit and below ruling, if what happened in the televised game last night when Matty Ashton was awarded a penalty try then we really are in for some fun, OK there was head contact but not direct, Burgess hit Ashton's shoulder first and a combination of the height of Burgess and Ashton in the action of stooping down to score caused the head contact, Ashton puts his foot in touch and also fumbles the ball on the floor prior to the try line, so if it is deemed that the head contact was the reason Ashton didn't score and a penalty try awarded then when is there going to some common sense displayed by the match day officials, and as @DavidM implied earlier when he said the game is not "black and white" I will say yes it is as far as the officials are concerned it is, there was a time when refs had their own personality and style of officiating, now they all seem to have been put in a blender and we have the same "black and white" from them all.

I am not entirely blaming the refs, to me it is a condition of televising every game they are simply afraid to make any mistakes they are under the microscope of the cameras, the commentators and yes the fans, when I went to Championship games and we had the same refs who had been on the telly previously they reffed the games in a completely different manner.

If Burgess goes lower, he stops the try.  I think any coach worth their salt would be focussing on that and not  the Refs/VR decision.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I didn't watch the game last night live, but just watched the highlights after your post to see the penalty try myself - Burgess's "first contact to the shoulder" is so miniscule before his arm goes straight to his neck that I don't see how you get to the opinion that the arm raised up from shoulder to head, rather than it just going straight to the neck. 

30 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

If Burgess goes lower, he stops the try.  I think any coach worth their salt would be focussing on that and not  the Refs/VR decision.

Agreed but do you see it has a penalty try?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Agreed but do you see it has a penalty try?

Yes.  Often they are turned down for distance from the try line but in this case he made it anyway.

Edit: just watching the Eels v Broncos game and the Ells winger gets clouted around the head during a gang tackle in the corner (8th minute).  He loses the ball in the process of trying to put it down and it goes dead.  No penalty but a penalty in front of the sticks for an earlier infringement for offside.

Edited by Lowdesert

2 minutes ago, EggFace said:

The NRL has been good so far and very lenient in some cases but I do hope they put a stop to this ######.

Coaches and Players can….i doubt they will.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Damien said:

And here's another:

Harry Grant has been charged with 'Unintentional Contact' ?

Melbourne great Cooper Cronk added: "I understand why they're trying to do it ... it is the world we live in at the moment."

The bit I have highlighted just about sums it up for me, not just in Rugby League but in all walks of life.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Harry Grant has been charged with 'Unintentional Contact' ?

Melbourne great Cooper Cronk added: "I understand why they're trying to do it ... it is the world we live in at the moment."

The bit I have highlighted just about sums it up for me, not just in Rugby League but in all walks of life.

Fantastic player, Grant.