World Darts Championship 2024

There's often a criticism of round 1 that it's boring and predictable and tbf the first couple of days went that way.

This afternoon's session has certainly changed that. All 4 English players lost to foreign opposition including Wade losing to a much lower-ranked Canadian and Ian White losing to an unseeded Japanese player.

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

There's often a criticism of round 1 that it's boring and predictable and tbf the first couple of days went that way.

This afternoon's session has certainly changed that. All 4 English players lost to foreign opposition including Wade losing to a much lower-ranked Canadian and Ian White losing to an unseeded Japanese player.

The Asian tour players are underrated imo and will cause upsets like this.

On 17/12/2023 at 22:44, Maximus Decimus said:

Good piece.

Funnily enough, while the early rounds are on, I'm always surprised by the continued British/Dutch dominance at the top level.

For a sport that is so individual, there seems no reason why an American/Canadian/German player hasn't truly kicked on. There have been flashes like Part and Clemens but they never feel permanent.

Part the World Champ you mean lol. Yep you're right though. Whitlock Australian for a bit, Suljovic, De Sousa I suppose for a year. 

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

10 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

First James Wade and now Peter Wright both out at the first hurdle for them.

Peter Wright looked well off the pace last night compared to his usual levels.

Great result for Luke Littler though. What a performance from a 16yr old!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Hes 10/1 and one of the favourites now with the bookmakers 

It would be one hell of an achievement to just make the 3rd round! He'd be entirely forgiven for the pressure getting to him at some point and not progressing too deep. I'll definitely be tuning in to see tonight's game.

It was good to see some of the Warrington players wishing him luck beforehand too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tiffers said:

It was good to see some of the Warrington players wishing him luck beforehand too.

they didn't tell him this could be "his year" did they?

• Haha 2

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

9 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Hes 10/1 and one of the favourites now with the bookmakers 

This shows just how impressive it was. I was shocked though, after 1 game to be that short.

Tonight should give an indication whether that was justified or rather silly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northern Eel said:

The standard seems to be lacking this year.

I thought the Hempel / van den Bergh match was exciting and it's the only one I've watched in full. So I'm on 100% decent games.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

The standard seems to be lacking this year. I know it's the early rounds, but there some real stale stuff going on. Hopefully things will liven up after Christmas.

First couple of rounds are always a bit uncompetitive, but there've been a good few upsets.

24 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

I've seen there's been quite a few upsets. Is that because the winners are piling up big averages, or that the losers are not playing well?

A mixture. Only 2 really big averages in Bunting and Littler. It's wide-open this year. A seed going out is no real surprise. The manner of Wright losing 3-0 for me is the only big shock so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

8 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

A mixture. Only 2 really big averages in Bunting and Littler. It's wide-open this year. A seed going out is no real surprise. The manner of Wright losing 3-0 for me is the only big shock so far.

I have been to Ally Pally for the darts a couple of times and enjoyed it. However, I do now much prefer watching it on the telly. I always feel it comes into its own after all the Christmas carnage is done with.  Having no clear favourite will make it even more enjoyable in the closing rounds, I reckon. Saying that, I wouldn't put it past Barney to turn it on and roll back the years...

• Like 1

Impressive from Littler, but when he meets someone who can put him under a bit of pressure, it will be interesting to see how his composure stands up. Remarkable stuff from the 16 year old though and very entertaining.

The World Champion Michael Smith, on the other hand, is looking distinctly average tonight.