World Darts Championship 2024

11 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

Impressive from Littler, but when he meets someone who can put him under a bit of pressure, it will be interesting to see how his composure stands up. Remarkable stuff from the 16 year old though and very entertaining.

The World Champion Michael Smith, on the other hand, is looking distinctly average tonight. 

He doesn't seem quite right, he had a couple of close calls last year that he got out of by going to another level. I'm not sure he's got that in him this year.

Littler has spells where he is crazy impressive (he is the camerman's worst nightmare), but he has dropped off at times in the last two matches and we're all waiting to see how he copes going a set or two down.

I'm really hoping we see RVB vs Littler, but his match with Williams is a 50/50. 

6 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

He doesn't seem quite right, he had a couple of close calls last year that he got out of by going to another level. I'm not sure he's got that in him this year.

Littler has spells where he is crazy impressive (he is the camerman's worst nightmare), but he has dropped off at times in the last two matches and we're all waiting to see how he copes going a set or two down.

I'm really hoping we see RVB vs Littler, but his match with Williams is a 50/50. 

Smith seemed to struggle with Razma's slow pace and couldn't find any rhythm. However, his doubles hitting has always been impressive and if he can up his average by 10, he will take some beating. 

Is there a bit of needle between MVG and Stephen Bunting? That could be a cracker if it comes about?

Edited by Northern Eel

5 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Smith seemed to struggle with Razma's slow pace and couldn't find any rhythm. However, his doubles hitting has always been impressive and if he can up his average by 10, he will take some beating. 

Is there a bit of needle between MVG and Stephen Bunting? That could be a cracker if it comes about?

I think MVG was just doing a bit of winding up because they kept mentioning Bunting playing so well.

Here's hoping for a 'gold' performance by Bunting.

• Like 1

For slightly convoluted reasons I had to kill a couple of hours in that there London last night. I found what would pass as a locals pub/decent boozer by London Bridge. It had four screens (all sound off), three showing football (all involving London teams) and one showing darts. It was pretty full and all the sport was being watched.

By far the loudest noise all night came from the table of five Germans watching the darts. And not just when the German lad was on. I thought the roof was going to come off when Price lost.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

For slightly convoluted reasons I had to kill a couple of hours in that there London last night. I found what would pass as a locals pub/decent boozer by London Bridge. It had four screens (all sound off), three showing football (all involving London teams) and one showing darts. It was pretty full and all the sport was being watched.

By far the loudest noise all night came from the table of five Germans watching the darts. And not just when the German lad was on. I thought the roof was going to come off when Price lost.

Germany is waiting for it's own Barney to take the sport to new levels there.

I'd love to see a world championships there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Price out. Something seems a bit out about Humphries ATM. Not darts wise attitude wise. Bee in the bonnet. Think he wants the crowd on his side now he's world number 3. 

Yeh, he was very lucky I thought. I never liked the idea that someone who has never even made the semis at the Worlds was the favourite.

He really didn't help himself afterwards. I'm always amazed by people who don't seem to understand how they are going to come across. All he was on about was how hard it was for him. It might be true, but moaning about it won't gain him many fans.

I watched a podcast recently with all the champions and Phil Taylor was on. I largely missed his era, as I didn't have Sky or didn't watch. I don't think I've ever seen somebody trying so hard to appear humble whilst doing the exact opposite.

I suspect the only way Humphries will replicate Taylor is in levels of self-awareness.

4 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Yeh, he was very lucky I thought. I never liked the idea that someone who has never even made the semis at the Worlds was the favourite.

He really didn't help himself afterwards. I'm always amazed by people who don't seem to understand how they are going to come across. All he was on about was how hard it was for him. It might be true, but moaning about it won't gain him many fans.

I watched a podcast recently with all the champions and Phil Taylor was on. I largely missed his era, as I didn't have Sky or didn't watch. I don't think I've ever seen somebody trying so hard to appear humble whilst doing the exact opposite.

I suspect the only way Humphries will replicate Taylor is in levels of self-awareness.

Phil Taylor mostly seemed to win, especially towards the end, because his opponents were conflicted about whether to aim at the dart board or his head.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 28/12/2023 at 10:30, Maximus Decimus said:

you got your wish

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

MVG looking like his old self tonight especially in the vital moments.

Yep. Everytime Bunting hit a 60 or 45, he punished it with a big score. 

Last year an on-fire Smith was all that could stop him, now he's gone I'm not sure who is firing enough to do it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I've won my last 5 darts based bets!

As I'm only betting trifling amounts, I'm only up to £45 off a tenner.

There'll be an upset today but can't see from where. Unless you call Littler winning an upset. My 6 today to win, Heta, Chisnall, Humphries, Littler, Cross and Anderson with only possibly Heta and Anderson underthreat.

Smith back to usual pre World Title attitude. Had a bad interview the other day too. 

Edited by Mumby Magic

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

It's absolutely disgusting and pathetic the abuse Littler has got the last day over holding up the Sun newspaper. Those that have hounded a 16 year old over this so that he has to issue statement like this should hang their heads in shame. They wont though:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Damien said:

It's absolutely disgusting and pathetic the abuse Littler has got the last day over holding up the Sun newspaper. Those that have hounded a 16 year old over this so that he has to issue statement like this should hang their heads in shame. They wont though:

Don't get it at all. Gary Anderson defended Littler, not on this but overall slating the media's pressure on him. 

• Like 1

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah