18 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'm currently undertaking a quest to visit all 26 medieval cathedrals in England. It will take years but I will eventually do it. So far I've been to 6 over the last couple of years: Lincoln, Durham, Ripon, York, Carlisle and Manchester. 

The latter two are a little less impressive in size. Do they make up for it in architecture?

If you find yourself down South anytime soon, Canterbury, Rochester and St Albans are all belters; and very different from each other. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_of_the_medieval_cathedrals_of_England

The 26 cathedrals listed in this article are those that I'm visiting. As far as I understand it, these are the cathedrals that had that status in the middle ages, or were abbeys or monastic churches. It seems that the abbeys and monastic churches were elevated to cathedral status in the 19th century. There are some other cathedrals that were built in the middle ages but were simply parish churches and nothing else at the time and were also elevated to cathedral status in the 19th century. It seems to be these that were parish churches that are not included. Of course, if I'm near any of these other cathedrals while on my travels I'll definitely visit those as well! 

So the non-medieval, former parish churches or specifically built, modern cathedrals are:

Birmingham

Chelmsford

Coventry

Derby

Guildford

Leicester

Portsmouth

St Edmundsbury

St Paul's 

Truro

Blackburn

Bradford

Liverpool

Newcastle

Sheffield & 

Wakefield

Of those listed, Coventry has some interesting modern architecture, alongside the blitz remains. Truro is a big old building which dominates the city skyline and Liverpool has two belters; the Anglican Cathedral and the architecturally acclaimed Roman Catholic Cathedral, Paddy’s Wigwam. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

fred dinage  followed by the next 9 favourite freds thread

fred dibnah

fred flintstone

fred lindop

fred fittler

fred trueman 

fred perry 

fred astaire

fred krueger 

fred starr

You started so well, but where’s Fred Elliott? 

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

The latter two are a little less impressive in size. Do they make up for it in architecture?

If you find yourself down South anytime soon, Canterbury, Rochester and St Albans are all belters; and very different from each other. 

Manchester really surprised me because I wasn't massively excited about going to that one but did find it impressive. The most distinctive feature is that it has the widest nave in the country. This is because either side of the nave were, in the past, private chapels that have since been removed. 

I can't remember too much significant about Carlisle though I do remember there were some windows that still contain original medieval glass from the 14th century. I think it was the East window in particular. 

Ripon is by far the smallest of those I've visited so far but it is situated in a really lovely setting with a park next to it and the quaint, relaxed little city around it which is much more appealing than the noise and chaos of a big city like Manchester. 

I'll be going to the 3 of those you suggest at some point. I'm not sure where I'm going next but I have started planning a trip to Worcester because fron there I can also easily reach Gloucester, Hereford and Lichfield, all only about 45 mins to an hour away. The closest ones to me I haven't done yet are Chester and Southwell. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

6 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Manchester really surprised me because I wasn't massively excited about going to that one but did find it impressive. The most distinctive feature is that it has the widest nave in the country. This is because either side of the nave were, in the past, private chapels that have since been removed. 

I can't remember too much significant about Carlisle though I do remember there were some windows that still contain original medieval glass from the 14th century. I think it was the East window in particular. 

Ripon is by far the smallest of those I've visited so far but it is situated in a really lovely setting with a park next to it and the quaint, relaxed little city around it which is much more appealing than the noise and chaos of a big city like Manchester. 

I'll be going to the 3 of those you suggest at some point. I'm not sure where I'm going next but I have started planning a trip to Worcester because fron there I can also easily reach Gloucester, Hereford and Lichfield, all only about 45 mins to an hour away. The closest ones to me I haven't done yet are Chester and Southwell. 

I was just in Southwell today and immediately thought of you and this thread. The clear blue skies were only dominated by the striking front towers of the Minster. Stunning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northern Eel said:

I was just in Southwell today and immediately thought of you and this thread. The clear blue skies were only dominated by the striking front towers of the Minster. Stunning.

Nice to know I'm always on TRL forum members' minds! 😉

Hope you enjoyed your visit! I believe its the chapter house there, and the carvings in the chapter house in particular, that are considered Southwell's greatest features. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Nice to know I'm always on TRL forum members' minds! 😉

Hope you enjoyed your visit! I believe its the chapter house there, and the carvings in the chapter house in particular, that are considered Southwell's greatest features. 

Work visit, I'm afraid! 

Southwell is a strange place - or at least it is geographically speaking -  as it is in the middle on nowhere. It is very unlike many places that have a Cathedral/Minster etc.

3 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

Work visit, I'm afraid! 

Southwell is a strange place - or at least it is geographically speaking -  as it is in the middle on nowhere. It is very unlike many places that have a Cathedral/Minster etc.

I've thought this as well when I've looked into getting there from Hull.

Having done a quick bit of research, it appears the reason the mother church of the diocese is in Southwell is because the diocese was only established at the end of the 19th century with Nottingham being taken from the diocese of Lichfield and added to the new diocese of Southwell and Nottingham.

Nottingham was only given city status in the 19th century as well and so doesn't have its own Anglican cathedral for this reason with a cathedral of course being the requirement for a city historically, though it does have a Catholic cathedral. So with the new diocese needing a mother church, I guess Southwell was the most significant Anglican church in the area. 

• Like 1

Top 10 tins of soup.

1. C ock-a- Leekie

2. Carrot and Butterbean

3. Minestrone 

4. Tomato 

5. French Onion

6. Vegetable

7. Mushroom

8. Chicken Broth

9. Scotch Broth

10. Carrot and  Coriander 

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1

Top 10 University Challenge guess answers:

1. Peter Bruegel the Elder

2. Parabola

3. Emmanuel Kant

4. The old man and the sea

5. Johannes Vermeer

6. Dostoyevsky 

7. St Vincent and the Grenadines

8. Dmitry Shostakovich

9. X = -1

10. Siegfried Sassoon 

14 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

Would Ely be in that list? That's quite impressive.

4 minutes ago, N2022 said:

Would Ely be in that list? That's quite impressive.

Yes, absolutely. Although Bury St Edmonds, Ely and Norwich is your typical trio. 

Then there’s your Royal Peculiars. (NB Not referring to Prince Andrew here!😂)

Edited by Northern Eel

2 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Top 10 tins of soup.

1. C ock-a- Leekie

2. Carrot and Butterbean

3. Minestrone 

4. Tomato 

5. French Onion

6. Vegetable

7. Mushroom

8. Chicken Broth

9. Scotch Broth

10. Carrot and  Coriander 

Minestrone and cream of mushroom both need to be much higher than that.

My top 10 Star Trek " franchises " part 1

1. ST The Original series 

Star_Trek_TOS_cast.jpg.75e185cb331912fc53d3529c2693a1f6.jpg

2. ST Voyager 

star-trek-voyager-25th-anniversary-cast-reunion.jpg.bfefc6ea2ae6e08fb6a3f68b9086dea0.jpg

3. ST Enterprise 

Enterprise.jpg.abadf1f23b8c1ced04991c66056e0188.jpg

4. ST Deep Space 9

ds9cast2-head-777x437.jpg.159b6a2d91bd16188595a17b5e985d3d.jpg

Edited by HawkMan

Star Trek top 10- part 2 (5 to 10)

5 ST The Next Generation 

Star_Trek_TNG_cast.jpg.42388b18136cda9df9d89a5983016428.jpg

6. ST Original Series Film Series 

7. ST Strange New Worlds 

2700x4000STSNWS2565532VertEnsemble1F-a67eff2.jpg.66aea40edc3cc791addfb5a2831b775f.jpg

8. ST Discovery 

st-discovery-1-e1519155284416.jpg.adc8853f049bac571e04b19c91174dbc.jpg

9. ST TNG Film Series 

10. ST Animated Series 

Edited by HawkMan

Top 10 sports I watch.

1. Football 

2. Cricket - limited overs

3. Rugby League 

4. Darts

5. Cricket- Tests

6. Tennis

7. Golf

8 American Indycar racing 

9. er..that's it

Edited by HawkMan

My top 10 chart hits by Slade.

1. Mama Weer All Crazee Now

2. Radio Wall of Sound

3. Everyday

4. ###### on feel the Noize.  Slade mispelt the word ‘Come’ 😄

5. My oh My

6. Merry Xmas Everybody

7. Far, Far Away

8. Skweeze Me, Pleeze Me

9. How Does it Feel

10. The Bangin’ Man

Edited by Adelaide Tiger
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Top 10 sports I watch.

1. Football 

2. Cricket - limited overs

3. Rugby League 

4. Darts

5. Cricket- Tests

6. Tennis

7. Golf

8 American Indycar racing 

9. er..that's it

I was gonna try to do this list but I too don't follow enough sports but here we go anyway. 

1. Snooker

2. Football

3. Rugby League

4. Motorcycle road racing

5. er..that's it. 

Top 10 Columbo episodes. I won't use titles but descriptions.

Not in order 

1. Patrick McGoohan as a crooked funeral director 

Unknownactor98a.jpg.c2937e226ee4331ef230bf419d778818.jpg

2. The "Johnny Cash" one

swan-9.jpg.c5990715029ca746dfc207ff9377f91f.jpg

3.The  "Dick Van Dyke and the bogus kidnapping "one

4. McGoohan again, "the army cadet school" one

5. The "Columbo's boss covers up a murder" one.

6. The " old biddy author locks her dead neice's husband in a vault" one

ColumboTryAndCatchMe1.jpg.9b172e0bb177970a936522edea94fb16.jpg

7. The "William Shatner"one

8. The " Great Santini , nightclub magician in a water tank " one

9. The" Fallen Hollywood actress murders a gossip columnist " one

10. The " Leonard Nimoy heart surgeon " one.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1

Top 10 Soorts

1. Rugby League 

2. American Football 

3. Hurling 

4. Cricket

5. Ice Hockey

6. Darts

7. Football 

8. Baseball

9. Gaelic Football 

10. Cycling

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.