Most over-rated places I've been

1. Orlando

2.Venice

3. Capri

4. Champs Elysee 

5.. Barcelona Cathedral 

I'll leave it at that.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

1 hour ago, Irish Saint said:

Most over-rated places I've been

1. Orlando

2.Venice

3. Capri

4. Champs Elysee 

5.. Barcelona Cathedral 

I'll leave it at that.

I don't think I've been many places that I'd consider overrated as such although I was very disappointed with Vienna when I went there. Just thought it was a really dull, characterless, boring place. 

The worst place I've been abroad is Brussels. Absolute dump. Some of the best museums I've ever been to, I will say that, but the city itself is a sh*th*le. 

I didn't go to Barcelona Cathedral when I was there cos I was only there for a day but I did go to the Sagrada Familia. Unfortunately I couldn't go in because tickets were sold out. That is something I find disgusting as someone with religious leanings. Charging me to go into a place of worship! What if I was going in to pray and practice my religion and you're charging me to do that?! 

Top 10 Leeds United players that I have seen.

11. Eddie Gray

10. Johnny Giles

9. Mick Jones 

8. Allan Clarke

7. Peter Lorimer

6. Norman Hunter 

5. Jack Charlton

4. Billy Bremner

3. Terry Cooper

2. Paul Reaney

What a team.  Don’t need a goalie as I would use the school yard rule of the player nearest the goal becomes the keeper.  Plus I have omitted the most versatile player that I have ever seen, Paul Madeley.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Top 10 Leeds United players that I have seen.

11. Eddie Gray

10. Johnny Giles

9. Mick Jones 

8. Allan Clarke

7. Peter Lorimer

6. Norman Hunter 

5. Jack Charlton

4. Billy Bremner

3. Terry Cooper

2. Paul Reaney

What a team.  Don’t need a goalie as I would use the school yard rule of the player nearest the goal becomes the keeper.  Plus I have omitted the most versatile player that I have ever seen, Paul Madeley.

none of which would get a gig in the modern premier league - the Scottish ones would be playing for Hibernian and the rest would be struggling to make the championship in the current era - sorry but its a FACT

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 21/01/2024 at 16:38, graveyard johnny said:

none of which would get a gig in the modern premier league - the Scottish ones would be playing for Hibernian and the rest would be struggling to make the championship in the current era - sorry but its a FACT

Elsewhere you posted that maybe the Penrith players won't come because they've been invited to attend a football match, because it's so boring presumably. Yet you know so much about the game to make a sweeping statement like the above rubbish. I know f*** all about NFL or baseball because I don't watch it, so I don't comment. How do you know so much about a sport you've previously admitted never watching?

Now, as I do watch it, my top 10 players now I enjoy watching.

( in no particular order)

1. Mo Salah

2. Erling Haaland 

3. Harry Kane

4. James Maddison

5. Heung Min Son

6. Phil Foden

7. James Ward Prowse

8. Edison

9. Miguel Almiron

10. Jude Bellingham 

Edited by HawkMan

1 minute ago, HawkMan said:

How do you know so much about a sport you've previously admitted never watching?

ignoring the fact I never admit to anything on these forums- used to like both as a kid and know the workings of simple sport

13 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Now, as I do watch it, my top 10 players now I enjoy watching.

( in no particular order)

1. Mo Salah

2. Erling Haaland 

3. Harry Kane

4. James Maddison

5. Heung Min Son

6. Phil Foden

7. James Ward Prowse

8. Edison

9. Miguel Almiron

10. Jude Bellingham 

Top 10 teams I enjoy watching, knowing I'll get a reasonably entertaining game.

1. Tottenham, obviously 

2. Man City,  so good

3. Man Utd,  so comical 

4. Liverpool 

5. Real Madrid 

6. Bayern Munich 

7. Celtic, the passion

8. Southampton,  this season because of their style 

9. Burnley,  lovely football but doomed sadly

10. Luton, plucky underdogs 

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

You could literally say that about any athlete from any sport, for example, could you see Rod Laver competing with todays top tennis players.

It doesn't diminish their greatness .

Edited by Sidi Fidi Gold
-
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Hmmmm.  What you have not realised, or was completely unaware of, is that the three Scottish players, Bremner, Gray and Lorimer all signed for Leeds as schoolboys.  Even today, EPL and EFL clubs have scouts all across the UK so those young lads would have been picked up.  Whether they would have had the chance to break into the top 6 teams at EPL level ahead of seasoned overseas players is a good debate.  Of that Leeds side only Giles, Clarke and Jones were not signed as schoolboys.

Your first sentence is $&&$#&*(;;*&##*). Eddie Gray would absolutely destroy a defender who nowadays has no idea how to tackle.  Reaney and Cooper were really the first generation of overlapping fullbacks - which is now the main attribute of modern day players - AND they knew how to defend as well.  Saying that Bremner and Giles would struggle in todays midfield 😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

• Like 3

I think all you can do is look at how dominant a team or a player was in their own era.

Drawing direct comparisons between players/teams from different eras tends not to work for me.

Leeds United had a golden era from the mid 1960s to the mid 1970s based around a core group of players and mainly a single manager.

I didn’t witness this first hand, but have seen the footage, spoken to people who did watch them, read the reports and spoken at length to Norman Hunter in his own home once (lucky me).

My own impression is this was a great team who could both play to a very high level technically and look after themselves physically too, building a reputation for both things.

They could and should have won more domestically and in Europe at the time which would have sealed their legacy more outside Leeds with more modern fans.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Apologies for this super niche top 10. If you're a Londoner  and a bus nerd,  you have a top 10 routes.

1. 375- the route to nowhere. As the village of Havering-atte- Bower is in a  London borough despite being in the Essex countryside the obligation exists to provide a London bus service,  however its two miles further into the countryside that a vehicle  can turn round, so it pointlessly chugs to Passingford Bridge,  a roundabout in the middle of nowhere.

2. - 191- crazy route. A double S shape routing,  like two S's one on top of the other. It weaves through the borough of Enfield taking 90 minutes between termini that otherwise could be done in 20 minutes.

3 - 357- the fresh air carrier. Goes between Whipps Cross and Chingford Hatch via Walthamstow.  Busy roads  all the way,  many other routes,  all packed, and the 357 picks up very few  passengers because it is covered all the way by other routes. No one waits for the the 357, if it happens to come along first, okay, even if you want to go end to end there's another that is quicker.

4. 309- weaves its way through busy East London but via side streets almost all the way, pleasant journey.

5. 364- my local route, useful obviously.

6. H13 - nearly circular but just not quite as it takes 30 minutes to travel around Ruislip Woods. I've walked between the two termini in 15 minutes.

7. 386 - The Greenwich sightseer,  unofficially of course. 50 minutes travelling around Greenwich back streets mostly, God help anyone who wants to go end to end not realising the tedious journey they'll be embarking on as the termini are pretty close together.

8. 193- personal reasons for choosing this , romantic reasons.

9. 347 - at just 4 journeys a day in each direction this is the most infrequent route of all. TFL tried to get rid of it,  but the local MP stepped in and it stays for now. Goes to North Ockendon,  really in the countryside but bizarrely in a London borough.

YouTuber Geoff Marshall explores the 347.

10- 497- created about 4 years ago, and about to be scrapped, sort of. A route poorly designed,  meant to serve a new housing estate, but problem is no one used it really. Now to be merged with 346, which many of us nerds suggested in the beginning.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1

As well as Martin Scorsese, I am also one of the world's biggest James Bond fans so here is my top 10 Bond films:

1. On Her Majesty's Secret Service

2. From Russia With Love

3. The Living Daylights

4. Thunderball

5. For Your Eyes Only

6. The Spy Who Loved Me

7. Goldeneye

8. Live and Let Die

9. Tomorrow Never Dies

10. Octopussy

Architecture is a big interest of mine, particularly church architecture so here is my top 10 cathedrals that I've visited. 

1. Kolner Dom

2. Lincoln Cathedral

3. Berliner Dom

4. Durham Cathedral

5. Cathedrale de Monaco

6. Sagrada Familia, Barcelona

7. Catedral de Santa Maria, Madrid

8. Ripon Cathedral

9. Karlskirche, Vienna

10. Notre Dame, Paris (before the fire 😔

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Architecture is a big interest of mine, particularly church architecture so here is my top 10 cathedrals that I've visited. 

1. Kolner Dom

2. Lincoln Cathedral

3. Berliner Dom

4. Durham Cathedral

5. Cathedrale de Monaco

6. Sagrada Familia, Barcelona

7. Catedral de Santa Maria, Madrid

8. Ripon Cathedral

9. Karlskirche, Vienna

10. Notre Dame, Paris (before the fire 😔

Seen nearly all of the foreign ones on that list but not the British ones.  

31 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Seen nearly all of the foreign ones on that list but not the British ones.  

I'm currently undertaking a quest to visit all 26 medieval cathedrals in England. It will take years but I will eventually do it. So far I've been to 6 over the last couple of years: Lincoln, Durham, Ripon, York, Carlisle and Manchester. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'm currently undertaking a quest to visit all 26 medieval cathedrals in England. It will take years but I will eventually do it. So far I've been to 6 over the last couple of years: Lincoln, Durham, Ripon, York, Carlisle and Manchester. 

Excellent idea!

• Thanks 1

My personal top ten art institutions/galleries/museums I’ve visited:

1.  Galleria Borghese (Rome)

2.  Musee D’Orsay (Paris)

3.  Hermitage (St Petersburg)

4.  Belvedere (Vienna)

5.  Uffizi (Florence)

6.  National Gallery (London)

7.  Louvre (Paris)

8.  Tate Modern (London)

9.  Rijksmuseum (Amsterdam)

10.  Galleria Academica (Florence)

Bit of an explanation here (apart from being a lucky lad to have seen all these places) is that I’m trying to see a bucket list of art masterpieces in a certain art book while I still can.

Think of it like a panini sticker album so for a long time I’ve travelled about ticking things off and marvelling at them in person.

Lots of other places that I’ve been fortunate to go to in North American adventures that could have got on here but they were mostly experienced before the hobby/bucket list started.

I’ve no formal art training except some loose understanding of film and photography techniques, but I’m a big believer in art is for all.  What got me interested was probably trying to understand what caused art movements to evolve in the first place from an historical perspective.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

My personal top ten art institutions/galleries/museums I’ve visited:

1.  Galleria Borghese (Rome)

2.  Musee D’Orsay (Paris)

3.  Hermitage (St Petersburg)

4.  Belvedere (Vienna)

5.  Uffizi (Florence)

6.  National Gallery (London)

7.  Louvre (Paris)

8.  Tate Modern (London)

9.  Rijksmuseum (Amsterdam)

10.  Galleria Academica (Florence)

Bit of an explanation here (apart from being a lucky lad to have seen all these places) is that I’m trying to see a bucket list of art masterpieces in a certain art book while I still can.

Think of it like a panini sticker album so for a long time I’ve travelled about ticking things off and marvelling at them in person.

Lots of other places that I’ve been fortunate to go to in North American adventures that could have got on here but they were mostly experienced before the hobby/bucket list started.

I’ve no formal art training except some loose understanding of film and photography techniques, but I’m a big believer in art is for all.  What got me interested was probably trying to understand what caused art movements to evolve in the first place from an historical perspective.

Also a fantastic idea! 👍

• Like 1

fred dinage  followed by the next 9 favourite freds thread

fred dibnah

fred flintstone

fred lindop

fred fittler

fred trueman 

fred perry 

fred astaire

fred krueger 

fred starr

Top ten debut albums that i play every 3/4 months in order as recorded without skipping tracks 

1  Kate Bush       the kick inside

2  Roxy Music     Roxy Music

3  Emerson Lake and Palmer      ELP

4  Santana      Santana

5  Led Zeppelin      1

6  Doors     Doors

7  Family     Music from a dolls house

8  Black Sabbath     Black Sabbath

9  Talking Heads     77

10  Specials     Specials

King Crimson  Court of the crimson king missed off because of tracks the dream and the illusion.....absolute pants  , Similarly Mothers   freak out due to the son of Mister monster magnet .  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Good luck as you go round, HG.  As I recall, there are something like 42 Anglican Cathedrals in England.  Out of interest, which are the non-medieval ones?  I can think of Truro, modern Coventry and Guildford.  To complicate things, there are some that haven't been cathedrals for that long (in church terms!), but were already old buildings when they became cathedrals; I think Manchester probably falls into that category.

Two great art forms - ecclesiastical architecture and choral music - seem to me to fit perfectly together in the context of sung services in a cathedral.  I am lucky; I have sung in choirs in services in Anglican cathedrals - Salisbury (which I get to do a few times each year), Wells, Portsmouth, Guildford, Winchester, Chichester, Southwark, St Paul's and Durham.  To do so always seems a great privilege.  

When I sang with a visiting choir at Gulldford, one summer Saturday afternoon many years ago, I was speaking to one of the volunteer guides.  She said that she had been led to believe that the architect for this 20th century cathedral didn't particularly like choral music.  One consequence of this seemed to be that the main aisle up the body of the church continued through the choir at the same width.  This is contrast to older cathedrals, where the norm is for the width of the aisle to narrow as it passes through the quire.  There is a reason for this.  The two sides of the choir need to hear each other.  At Guildford, being a tenor and hence, with some of the basses, on the back row on one side, we couldn't hear the tenors and basses on the back row on the other side, just the loud and enthusiastic sopranos and altos immediately in front of them!  I suppose the resident choir has got used to this and knows how to cope with it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Good luck as you go round, HG.  As I recall, there are something like 42 Anglican Cathedrals in England.  Out of interest, which are the non-medieval ones?  I can think of Truro, modern Coventry and Guildford.  To complicate things, there are some that haven't been cathedrals for that long (in church terms!), but were already old buildings when they became cathedrals; I think Manchester probably falls into that category.

Two great art forms - ecclesiastical architecture and choral music - seem to me to fit perfectly together in the context of sung services in a cathedral.  I am lucky; I have sung in choirs in services in Anglican cathedrals - Salisbury (which I get to do a few times each year), Wells, Portsmouth, Guildford, Winchester, Chichester, Southwark, St Paul's and Durham.  To do so always seems a great privilege.  

When I sang with a visiting choir at Gulldford, one summer Saturday afternoon many years ago, I was speaking to one of the volunteer guides.  She said that she had been led to believe that the architect for this 20th century cathedral didn't particularly like choral music.  One consequence of this seemed to be that the main aisle up the body of the church continued through the choir at the same width.  This is contrast to older cathedrals, where the norm is for the width of the aisle to narrow as it passes through the quire.  There is a reason for this.  The two sides of the choir need to hear each other.  At Guildford, being a tenor and hence, with some of the basses, on the back row on one side, we couldn't hear the tenors and basses on the back row on the other side, just the loud and enthusiastic sopranos and altos immediately in front of them!  I suppose the resident choir has got used to this and knows how to cope with it!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_of_the_medieval_cathedrals_of_England

The 26 cathedrals listed in this article are those that I'm visiting. As far as I understand it, these are the cathedrals that had that status in the middle ages, or were abbeys or monastic churches. It seems that the abbeys and monastic churches were elevated to cathedral status in the 19th century. There are some other cathedrals that were built in the middle ages but were simply parish churches and nothing else at the time and were also elevated to cathedral status in the 19th century. It seems to be these that were parish churches that are not included. Of course, if I'm near any of these other cathedrals while on my travels I'll definitely visit those as well! 

So the non-medieval, former parish churches or specifically built, modern cathedrals are:

Birmingham

Chelmsford

Coventry

Derby

Guildford

Leicester

Portsmouth

St Edmundsbury

St Paul's 

Truro

Blackburn

Bradford