Challenge Cup Workington Thread

Batley Bob

Going to be another heavy pitch, not much time for Jim to work any magic, will be another midfield slog, we'll gave to get on top of their forwards again.

1 hour ago, phildog said:

Going to be another heavy pitch, not much time for Jim to work any magic, will be another midfield slog, we'll gave to get on top of their forwards again.

Jim ?? If you mean Jim Morley, it's been a long time since he was groundsman. Think it's a joint effort tween Andy Winner n Paul Harrison. 

• Thanks 1

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

When I were up at the club before Christmas it was one of the volunteers driving the tractor around cutting the grass on the fanzone area.

Jason mossop still plying his trade seems an eternity ago since he played for batley.

Will sammutt strutt across white Lee to hook up with worky at ours or meet his team mates for some snap on the motorway 

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Thought we were quite clinical first half , then second half I dont know what mokko was thinking but got it wrong. The game was already won  but just as well cos we were terrible. We need to practice ptb, because we won't be able to turn the ball over that many times against tougher opposition. Credit to worky they raised their game when scoring  on their first set . we took our foot off the pedal , and they were the better of the 2 sides second half we need to learn to play for 80 mins not 40.

19 minutes ago, Dog forever said:

Thought we were quite clinical first half , then second half I dont know what mokko was thinking but got it wrong. The game was already won  but just as well cos we were terrible. We need to practice ptb, because we won't be able to turn the ball over that many times against tougher opposition. Credit to worky they raised their game when scoring  on their first set . we took our foot off the pedal , and they were the better of the 2 sides second half we need to learn to play for 80 mins not 40.

Changing the squad, woods not been risked for the 2nd half I do wonder if we lose him for the majority of the season we will struggle 

Town taught us a thing or 2 about varying restarts that's for sure and for the first time we really did what John Kear used to say 'we fell in love with ourselves' at half time. The half-time changes didn't come off, the idea of a 'squad' should be that if players are missing or get injured we shouldn't notice a difference with those coming in (the testimonials were the time to try those). If there was the possibility of Woods either being rested or getting a knock we should have had Dave Gibbons on the bench. Even Mokko alluded to that in his radio interview. We did give our heads a shake though when we'd conceded the 12 and started to compete again and the return of Leak and Gleds kicked us on. I doubt that we'll see that dip again. Still, as everyone will say, it's a win and another round to come. Onto 1895, a quarter final awaits, next Sunday is as important as any other, make sure that no other club sees us as the easy tie!

• Like 1

I agree with the above. I expected to see both Gibbons boys in the match day squad. I suppose it shows we have plenty of options in the squad, but giving them game time is an issue. Certainly today, once Woods went off we lacked structure and possibly our game plan.

• Like 2

Typical games over at half time performance!! a few changes took our foot of the pedal and let in a couple of soft TRYS,  to be fair I thought worky might have given us a better game but we where too strong and fast for them 1st half and built up a healthy lead, They had a 15 minute spell in the 2nd half and got some points but once we woke up we never looked in danger!! it's understandable that the coach is going to make changes at half time probably still trying to decide on what's what and who's where! Or maybe not risking folk if they have had a knock, also a heavy pitch today so saps the energy, overall a great 1st half, a scratchy 2nd but hay ho! into the next round against Rochdale! 

Edited by The scrim reaper

As far as a result was concerned, the game was over at half time. I commented during the break it would be interesting to see the attitude of our lads in the second half! Well, we didn't have to wait long for the answer to that question did we? As for attacking options, there were very little opportunities, due to our poor defensive display and because of that, a lack of field position in good ball areas. Needless to say, Butterworth is not the answer as a stand in halfback and Burton the same as a fullback. Hopefully lessons learnt by playing and coaching staff alike, so that we can put this to bed and make amends next time out against Hunslet.