Zak Hardaker

21 minutes ago, meast said:

They could cancel his registration couldn't they?

I think that's something that should be threatened, at least. A final warning of sorts.

Does the professional game have a Code of Conduct or is it just drugs they come down hard on? 

The NRL seems to be a lot quicker off the mark than the RFL when it comes to dealing with stuff like this and protecting the image of the sport. 

It shouldn't be left to clubs. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dave W said:

I think that's something that should be threatened, at least. A final warning of sorts.

Does the professional game have a Code of Conduct or is it just drugs they come down hard on? 

The NRL seems to be a lot quicker off the mark than the RFL when it comes to dealing with stuff like this and protecting the image of the sport. 

It shouldn't be left to clubs. 

Criminal offences  are deemed to constitute off field misconduct and should be reported to the Games Compliance officer who can then decide what if anything should be done. ( Operational Rule Tiers 1 to 3 ) D.1:1 ( c ).

Given this player's previous indiscretions  I would expect the RFL to at least  follow their own rulebook....... and the Compliance officer record his/her decision.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Dave W said:

When a player's extracurricular activities over a prolonged period continue to cause concern, could they be said to have brought the game into disrepute?

If so, the RFL/SL should step up and ban the player from their competitions for a period of time. 

That would force the player to go ply their trade elsewhere in France or RU or wherever. 

But according to Leigh Leopards - 

Zak brings a high level of professionalism and commitment to the game

What concern? there clearly isn't any at that club!

7 minutes ago, daz39 said:

But according to Leigh Leopards - 

What concern? there clearly isn't any at that club!

A "high level of professionalism and commitment" to Leigh, very likely but to the game itself? Not  really.

Leigh are trolling us now.

19 hours ago, phiggins said:

The public perception is a reflection on the comms / messaging coming out of the club, which has undoubtedly been poor. But I'm not going to use that as a stick to beat Lam, Chester and Beaumont on how they've handled the matter internally. 

Public perception would be pretty low on my list of things to consider when deciding on a course of action. What happened, what is he doing about it, what punishment has he already received would be further up my list to be honest. The last point probably the most relevant. (Though, when I read the punishment given, which was a fairly light fine and the inevitable 3 year ban, I was surprised to read the report of him being well over the limit and driving at such speeds)

A few on here convinced they would be sacked if in the same position. Looked at the code of conduct I work to, and I could be sacked if in that position, but it's not a given.

Do you not think as a public spectator sport where when something bad happens it's broadcast to literally everyone who follows the sport that the Leigh club should address the issue on a public scale rather than behind closed doors? yes they may have sanctioned him privately but they would gain more respect by telling the public this rather than keeping quiet.

The whole RL world knows what he's done and at the moment it would be in Leigh's best interest to at least acknowledge the seriousness of his behaviour to the public wouldn't it rather than it appearing they have ignored it and are more bothered about their player playing for them?

I'd expect a public denouncement at the very least from any club within our sport who's employee caused negative press.

• Like 1

Don't want to derail the thread with a separate debate but I think the way this has been handled is also down to societal issues around drink driving. For many its seen as a victimless crime and sentencing for drink drive offences is very weak. It is my view that the RFL and the clubs should be taking this much more seriously. Education programmes and severe punishments should be the order of the day, and not the weak stance currently taken. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

As would I.

Getting behind the wheel when that drunk (to blow 80? at custody he will have been a a fair bit over that when they got to him originally in Knottingley), is bad enough.

To then go nearly 3 times the speed limit in a residential area is frankly so reckless and stupid I don't even have the words.

And again the fact the Leigh club haven't even commented on how this is such a bad thing for their employee to do suggests they are totally fine with it, at least that is now what the public are thinking.

1 minute ago, daz39 said:

Do you not think as a public spectator sport where when something bad happens it's broadcast to literally everyone who follows the sport that the Leigh club should address the issue on a public scale rather than behind closed doors? yes they may have sanctioned him privately but they would gain more respect by telling the public this rather than keeping quiet.

The whole RL world knows what he's done and at the moment it would be in Leigh's best interest to at least acknowledge the seriousness of his behaviour to the public wouldn't it rather than it appearing they have ignored it and are more bothered about their player playing for them?

I'd expect a public denouncement at the very least from any club within our sport who's employee caused negative press.

Yes. I've said all along, the comms from the club has been poor. I don't know for certain if the actual action taken has been poor because of this. But my point in the post you quoted was that I would want the club to take action because they think it's the right thing to do, not because it would be a better look.

As a Leigh fan, the comms out of the club has been a constant source of irritation for years.

3 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Don't want to derail the thread with a separate debate but I think the way this has been handled is also down to societal issues around drink driving. For many its seen as a victimless crime and sentencing for drink drive offences is very weak. It is my view that the RFL and the clubs should be taking this much more seriously. Education programmes and severe punishments should be the order of the day, and not the weak stance currently taken. 

Must admit, when I saw the punishment of a driving ban that was a given, and a fine that wasn't even the maximum for a first offence, I was very surprised to then read the report of what actually happened.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, dkw said:

I`m absolutely certain the vast majority would be sacked for a second offence of this nature, I know I would.

19 hours ago, Damien said:

I'd definitely be sacked the first time.

I have employed a number of people in my time and although by no stretch of the imagination do I condone what Hardacre has done if he was an employee of mine.

But before the ultimate sacking I would have to consider what is the employees value to the company, what has happened outside of work does it affect them and can he/she still perform their roles, does his misdemeanor affect his/her work, can I easily replace him/her.

I have no idea what you two gentlemen do for a job or your worth to your employer that is for you to figure out, but as a once was employer (50 or so employees at any one time) I realise that there are those who are an integral part of the company and their loss could affect others within the organisation and the success of the company.

FWIW, in my opinion Hardacre could be replaced by a better option, but that is not for me to decide it is Leigh Leopards call.