Will 2024 be the best NRL season ever?

I know we had a similar thread to this last year but here is the 2024 version for what will hopefully be a great season. I really do think 2024 is shaping up to be even bigger and better than last year. A lot of teams made huge progress both on and off the field and are ideally poised to build on that next year. Vegas obviously gets the season off to a big bang start too with all of the glitz and glamour that the NRL does so well.

Anyhow as a starter it seems like the Broncos will be destined to be the first club to crack 50k members, which is staggering:

• Like 2

Very excited for it! Plenty of British interest across various teams as well, which always adds something for me. I think Brisbane take it this year, beating either Melbourne or Roosters in GF. Knights are the ones to watch though - building nicely to have a real stab in 2025. Raiders for the spoon sadly.

5 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Very excited for it! Plenty of British interest across various teams as well, which always adds something for me. I think Brisbane take it this year, beating either Melbourne or Roosters in GF. Knights are the ones to watch though - building nicely to have a real stab in 2025. Raiders for the spoon sadly.

It’s hard to go past the Dragons, Tigers or Dogs for the spoon I would have thought.

There are loads of positives for the sport in both the Northern and Southern Hemisphere, it is an exciting time for Rugby League.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

It’s hard to go past the Dragons, Tigers or Dogs for the spoon I would have thought.

I'd go Dragons if not Raiders. I think Benji at Wests and a couple of new recruits will see them finish 10-14th. Dogs are a funny one - squad says top 8 potential, but we know that won't happen. 12th - 15th for me. 

5 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I'd go Dragons if not Raiders. I think Benji at Wests and a couple of new recruits will see them finish 10-14th. Dogs are a funny one - squad says top 8 potential, but we know that won't happen. 12th - 15th for me. 

I think the Raiders may go ok this year.  On paper Jack Wighton is a big loss but I just don't think he is a good 6 - his kicking game is poor and he is not strong on shift plays.  He is a far better centre or running full back and Souths have him as a centre.

The Raiders still have a good pack and strike power in the likes of Savage and Timoko, if they get game management from the halves then they will be much better than a bottom 4 finish.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think the Raiders may go ok this year.  On paper Jack Wighton is a big loss but I just don't think he is a good 6 - his kicking game is poor and he is not strong on shift plays.  He is a far better centre or running full back and Souths have him as a centre.

The Raiders still have a good pack and strike power in the likes of Savage and Timoko, if they get game management from the halves then they will be much better than a bottom 4 finish.

Hope I'm wrong mate - I just think the halves pairing has question marks. Strange could do great but I think he'll struggle and never been a huge fan of Fogarty. Agree re forwards and if they do avoid bottom 4 it'll be down to them keeping them in tight games for the most part. 

Probs more one for Brits in the NRL but anybody have any idea why Smithies wasn't involved at the weekend? Can't see him on any injury or suspension lists? 

Unfortunately I can’t see things improving much for the Dragons . Flanagan may add something but the playing roster just isn’t good enough . I’m very interested in seeing the Dogs . At present the Ciraldo thing seems a bit of a mirage so big pressure on him to deliver . I’m always bemused watching Burton , as he seems determined not to move from his set spot on the left fringe , so he only gets involved when the game comes to him . To me he’s their main man and should be having the freedom to roam , but players playing on separate sides of the pitch is something I’ve never really understood tbh 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Unfortunately I can’t see things improving much for the Dragons . Flanagan may add something but the playing roster just isn’t good enough . I’m very interested in seeing the Dogs . At present the Ciraldo thing seems a bit of a mirage so big pressure on him to deliver . I’m always bemused watching Burton , as he seems determined not to move from his set spot on the left fringe , so he only gets involved when the game comes to him . To me he’s their main man and should be having the freedom to roam , but players playing on separate sides of the pitch is something I’ve never really understood tbh 

A three quarter line with Bronson Xerri, Josh Addo-Carr and Stephen Crichton in it is as good as any in the NRL if they play as well as we know they can.  Loads of strike there.

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

A three quarter line with Bronson Xerri, Josh Addo-Carr and Stephen Crichton in it is as good as any in the NRL if they play as well as we know they can.  Loads of strike there.

They have to deliver , no excuses . They were better on paper than 7 wins last year , and they’re better again so now the spotlight is on the coach . He has the pieces it’s up to him now 

23 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

23 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Flanagan is a winner and coaches like him don`t coach wooden-spoon winning teams. I haven`t seen the Saints look this fit for quite a while, and there`s some pretty bloody good players in that team, there is no way he`ll let that team finish bottom of the ladder.  Go the Saints.

17 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Flanagan is a winner and coaches like him don`t coach wooden-spoon winning teams. I haven`t seen the Saints look this fit for quite a while, and there`s some pretty bloody good players in that team, there is no way he`ll let that team finish bottom of the ladder.  Go the Saints.

That’s a fair call Rocket. I have no faith in Flanagan Jnr though and fear your boys need more than their first year with Flanno to get out of the doldrums. If I had to bet my house on it, I would be going Tigers.

Away from this basement talk, I think there are a few good challengers this year. My Sharks haven’t really recruited anything special this year and are putting a lot of faith in players to deliver to a well overdue potential. The likelihood is that most will only produce what they have done in years gone by and we will be sitting 5th to 8th by the end of the regular season. Fingers crossed I am wrong… and they finish higher of course.

5 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Away from this basement talk, I think there are a few good challengers this year. My Sharks haven’t really recruited anything special this year and are putting a lot of faith in players to deliver to a well overdue potential. The likelihood is that most will only produce what they have done in years gone by and we will be sitting 5th to 8th by the end of the regular season. Fingers crossed I am wrong… and they finish higher of course.

Will be good to see Kade Dykes back in action after the ACL injury. He looked pretty promising in the few games he played at the back end of 2022.

• Like 1

Away from the top flight, a colleague I know over in the west for the NRLWA is in negotiations with Kayo to show one live game from their top division weekly. For a few years even the Sydney AFL competition Match of the Week has been available on Kayo, so it will be great to see an interstate top tier of RL get equally good coverage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Apart from Sky has any posters got the NRL streaming service and how it compares.

I've had WatchNRL for the last few years - Can't complain about anything really. All broadcasts are done to a high standard.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EggFace said:

Apart from Sky has any posters got the NRL streaming service and how it compares.

WatchNRL is good ,although my renewal showed its gone up in price and really theres  nowt on it for five or six months but i get my moneys worth with the games and shows

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In other news away from the top league, the ARLC held its first national offsite for all development staff since COVID on the Sunshine Coast not long ago.

Missing from any of the agenda was a short five minute spiel (either in person, live broadcast or recording) from V’landys or Abdo thanking their foot soldiers for all their hard work through the tough times and a rallying call for a big year ahead. A missed opportunity from the leaders I feel.

4 minutes ago, EggFace said:

I used Watch NRL while in Bali and it worked a treat. As good as my Aussie streaming service, which is A class.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

Will be good to see Kade Dykes back in action after the ACL injury. He looked pretty promising in the few games he played at the back end of 2022.

Absolutely. He will have to bide his time though. That’s a pretty solid backline he is trying to crack.

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

WatchNRL is good ,although my renewal showed its gone up in price and really theres  nowt on it for five or six months but i get my moneys worth with the games and shows

Got Sky for £22 a month for 18 months and just weighing up which is best as I have Sky Glass TV and wonder if the NRL streaming works on Sky Glass ?