Will 2024 be the best NRL season ever?

20 minutes ago, DavidM said:

WatchNRL is good ,although my renewal showed its gone up in price and really theres  nowt on it for five or six months but i get my moneys worth with the games and shows

There are many many things in my life that I would give up before my WatchNRL subscription. 

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

There are many many things in my life that I would give up before my WatchNRL subscription. 

Yes . My family , my house and my panini sticker book collection go first 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yes . My family , my house and my panini sticker book collection go first 

😂 what’s a panini sticker book?

edit note: I just googled it. Would’ve thought cards replaced stickers long ago

Edited by Sports Prophet

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

😂 what’s a panini sticker book?

You’ve never lived …. Football sticker books . I’ve got them all through the 80s all complete including World Cup 82 and 86 and Euros 88 . 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

You’ve never lived …. Football sticker books . I’ve got them all through the 80s all complete including World Cup 82 and 86 and Euros 88 . 

Last time I had stickers was NSWRL circa 85 I reckon. I was really annoyed with myself as my Dad wrote a letter to Scanlon’s to ask them to send me the one sticker I had missing from my booklet, some North Sydney Bears player, only for them to send one of a player I already had and we worked out I had placed that sticker in the wrong box. Schoolboy error. Still infuriates me to this day.

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

Last time I had stickers was NSWRL circa 85 I reckon. I was really annoyed with myself as my Dad wrote a letter to Scanlon’s to ask them to send me the one sticker I had missing from my booklet, some North Sydney Bears player, only for them to send one of a player I already had and we worked out I had placed that sticker in the wrong box. Schoolboy error. Still infuriates me to this day.

Sports sticker books are so childish.

I have an Avengers sticker book, much more appropriate for a 50 something year old.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 19/02/2024 at 22:07, Damien said:

I know we had a similar thread to this last year but here is the 2024 version for what will hopefully be a great season. I really do think 2024 is shaping up to be even bigger and better than last year. A lot of teams made huge progress both on and off the field and are ideally poised to build on that next year. Vegas obviously gets the season off to a big bang start too with all of the glitz and glamour that the NRL does so well.

Master Coach Jack Gibson famously once said winning starts in the front office, I suppose the same thing could be said about the sport in general.

NRL’s record revenue result declared as code dethrones AFL as biggest game in Australia | The Australian

ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys has revealed his masterplan to make the NRL a $1 billion empire as the code celebrates the greatest revenue in rugby league’s 116-year history.

V’landys boldly declared the NRL has dethroned the AFL as Australia’s No. 1 sport after League Central on Wednesday revealed a record income in excess of $700 million ahead of the code’s historic double header in Las Vegas.

On a landmark day for the sport, the ARL Commission released the NRL’s financial performance for the 2023 season as rugby league’s on and off-field prosperity hit record levels.

* The NRL’s total revenue reached a record $701.1 million;

* The 2023 revenue represented a whopping $107.3m improvement and represented an 18 per cent increase on the previous season’s mark of $593.8m;

* The ARLC announced a 2023 operating surplus of $58.2m, the third consecutive year League Central has recorded a handsome profit;

* Since 2021, the NRL has banked $164.2 million in profits;

* The NRL now boasts net assets in excess of $260 million, bolstered by the purchase of three properties, including Brisbane’s Gambaro Hotel near Suncorp Stadium;

The AFL is widely regarded as Australia’s pre-eminent winter sports but V’landys is adamant the NRL is winning the battle of the codes.

“To be honest, we are already the No. 1 sport. AFL is No. 2,” V’landys said.

“They are behind us _ despite what they think.

“In terms of viewing figures, we are No. 1, you can’t dispute that.

“Look, the AFL has a national footprint and I respect them, they do a very good job at promoting their sport."

“My aims during my next term is more expansion and getting a foothold in the American market. It’s crucial,” he said.

“Moving into America has the potential to give us tens if not hundreds of millions.

“I would like to expand to a 20-team comp in the coming years.

“Because the game has never been in such a good position financially, we can look at more expansion and take a few risks.

“We have made ourselves more cost effective. We have streamlined things. We have the lowest administration cost of any sport based on percentage of revenue which is outstanding.:

“We have a very strong team and Andrew Abdo is the CEO presiding over all of this.

“I absolutely think we can expand our national footprint beyond the eastern seaboard and that’s what we are looking at.

“Expansion in 2026 or 2027 is absolutely on the agenda."

Winning starts in the front office.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Master Coach Jack Gibson famously once said winning starts in the front office, I suppose the same thing could be said about the sport in general.

NRL’s record revenue result declared as code dethrones AFL as biggest game in Australia | The Australian

ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys has revealed his masterplan to make the NRL a $1 billion empire as the code celebrates the greatest revenue in rugby league’s 116-year history.

V’landys boldly declared the NRL has dethroned the AFL as Australia’s No. 1 sport after League Central on Wednesday revealed a record income in excess of $700 million ahead of the code’s historic double header in Las Vegas.

On a landmark day for the sport, the ARL Commission released the NRL’s financial performance for the 2023 season as rugby league’s on and off-field prosperity hit record levels.

* The 2023 revenue represented a whopping $107.3m improvement and represented an 18 per cent increase on the previous season’s mark of $593.8m;

* The ARLC announced a 2023 operating surplus of $58.2m, the third consecutive year League Central has recorded a handsome profit;

* The NRL now boasts net assets in excess of $260 million, bolstered by the purchase of three properties, including Brisbane’s Gambaro Hotel near Suncorp Stadium;

The AFL is widely regarded as Australia’s pre-eminent winter sports but V’landys is adamant the NRL is winning the battle of the codes.

“Look, the AFL has a national footprint and I respect them, they do a very good job at promoting their sport."

“My aims during my next term is more expansion and getting a foothold in the American market. It’s crucial,” he said.

“Moving into America has the potential to give us tens if not hundreds of millions.

“Because the game has never been in such a good position financially, we can look at more expansion and take a few risks.

“We have made ourselves more cost effective. We have streamlined things. We have the lowest administration cost of any sport based on percentage of revenue which is outstanding.:

“We have a very strong team and Andrew Abdo is the CEO presiding over all of this.

“I absolutely think we can expand our national footprint beyond the eastern seaboard and that’s what we are looking at.

These are great results. Unforeseeable under previous leadership.

The sport is in such a strong financial position compared to its previous incarnation which expanded to 20 teams. There are no money pits like GWS or Gold Coast for the NRL to prop up either, although the AFL will happily claim the funds dedicated to those clubs as a long term investment.

There is ample “rugby” talent available through NSW Cup, Qld Cup, SL, Super Rugby, 7s, Pacific RU and European RU to fill 20 NRL clubs. Three more commercially sustainable clubs in each of Perth, Christchurch and Central Coast will really get the NRL humming!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

He's really winding up the AFL which I love. He knows exactly what he's doing.

new rise.jpg

32 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

These are great results. Unforeseeable under previous leadership.

The sport is in such a strong financial position compared to its previous incarnation which expanded to 20 teams. There are no money pits like GWS or Gold Coast for the NRL to prop up either, although the AFL will happily claim the funds dedicated to those clubs as a long term investment.

There is ample “rugby” talent available through NSW Cup, Qld Cup, SL, Super Rugby, 7s, Pacific RU and European RU to fill 20 NRL clubs. Three more commercially sustainable clubs in each of Perth, Christchurch and Central Coast will really get the NRL humming!

Central Coast?

new rise.jpg

2 hours ago, Pulga said:

He's really winding up the AFL which I love. He knows exactly what he's doing.

Yeah, I love it too, even by just saying they do a very good job at promoting their sport he is implying that all the success that they do have is just down to their marketing, not the sport itself, which he has made very clear before he thinks is just froth and bubbles. 

2 hours ago, Pulga said:

Central Coast?

Yep, for all the detractors, I do think the Bears and their brand have something to offer and I am extremely confident that the swiftly growing in affluent Central Coast market is a great fit for the Bears and would be both sustainable and a successful breeding ground for talent.

39 minutes ago, AB90 said:

I assume Brisbane 3 will be in line well before Central Coast

I’m off Brisbane 3. Maybe Ipswich, but to bring in Easts, nah not for me. Why further dilute the inner Brisbane market?

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yep, for all the detractors, I do think the Bears and their brand have something to offer and I am extremely confident that the swiftly growing in affluent Central Coast market is a great fit for the Bears and would be both sustainable and a successful breeding ground for talent.

I couldn't disagree more.

If we get another NSW team it will be a disaster.

new rise.jpg

7 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I couldn't disagree more.

If we get another NSW team it will be a disaster.

Disaster is a bit strong. Why a disaster? Central Coast really should have had a team for 25 years by now.

8 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Absolutely fantastic results that puts the NRL in a really strong position in the region. Obviously the AFL is wealthy too but these numbers dwarf the ARU and NZRU combined. There is huge potential growth there for the NRL in both Australia and NZ.

V’landys is certainly ambitious.

https://www.afr.com/companies/sport/v-landys-outlines-vision-to-turn-nrl-toward-britain-hotels-20240221-p5f6lq

Rugby league boss Peter V’landys has set his sights on expanding to England and turning the league into a major hotel operator – and handed his board a big pay rise – after the sport reported record revenue driven by broadcast and wagering fees.

Talking down rivals, including rugby union and soccer, and declaring his chief executive to be one of the best in any business, Mr V’landys on Wednesday laid out an audacious vision to the NRL’s 17 clubs at the league’s annual meeting.

The NRL reported revenue of $701 million, an increase of 18 per cent, and an operating surplus of $58.2 million, a 7 per cent fall, for the year to October 31. The revenue rise was driven by broadcast partners Foxtel and Nine Entertainment, the publisher of The Australian Financial Review, product fees from bookmakers and a $20 million uptick from sponsorship, game receipts and investment income.

Mr V’landys and his fellow seven commissioners – including high-profile investor Gary Weiss, former Queensland premier Peter Beattie and Sydney silk Alan Sullivan, KC – were handed a $400,000 pay increase, bringing the total pool to $1.2 million.

Mr V’landys declared CEO Andrew Abdo “one of the best chief executives in any industry” as he laid out his plan to grow the game, including a proposal to grant tax-free status to Australians involved in bringing Papua New Guinea into the NRL fold.

“To be making three consecutive profits ... is an extraordinary result, especially if you compare us to other sports,” Mr V’landys said. “Excluding the AFL, who are performing strongly, you’ve got rugby union [with] an $80 million loan that it’s relying on to stay solvent, rugby union clubs going broke, A-League clubs going broke.”

Future-proof the game

The NRL’s asset base has also increased, the accounts showed, up 29 per cent to $260.1 million. The league has already started buying hotels and currently owns three: The Quest Hotel Woolooware Bay in Sydney, the Mercure Sunshine Coast and Gambaro Hotel in Brisbane. It plans to expand the portfolio.

“The surplus is for reinvestment,” Mr Abdo said. “That new revenue stream will not only result in more funds available for distribution – more to clubs, more to players, more to grassroots football – it will future-proof the game against an impact on other revenue.”

Mr Abdo said buying hotels was about cost and revenue synergies. Mr V’landys said he expected the hotels to generate a 10 per cent annual return on investment.

“So far, all three [hotels] are bought in vicinity to where we play grassroots or elite rugby. The plan is to grow quite significantly using rugby league IP and our major events, which we place in these markets to drive the performance of these assets,” he said.

The other element of the growth plan is building the NRL’s offshore fan base.

The most ambitious part of the strategy – two matches in Las Vegas at the same venue the Super Bowl was played last week – will be played on March 2.

The intent is to capture more of the hundreds of thousands of Australians living in the United States to pay $US160 ($242) for the NRL’s subscription app, Watch NRL. It now has 3000 US users.

“Even if we just got a small percentage of them, that’s $25 million extra revenue,” Mr V’landys said. “We’re aiming for much higher than that, naturally.”

‘Big strategy, big risk’

The matches between Manly Warringah Sea Eagles and South Sydney Rabbitohs, and the Sydney Roosters and Brisbane Broncos, will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1, the Murdoch family-controlled Fox Corp’s main cable sports television network. Mr V’landys said he wanted to be on Fox Sports 1 every week, but no deal has been signed.

“If we can get 1 per cent of the market in America ... that’s 3 million subscribers,” he said. “It’s a big strategy, it’s a big risk. It could be a game changer.”

Another element is plans to secure an NRL team in PNG, among the largest of South Pacific nations, where rugby codes are hugely popular.

Mr V’landys signalled he also wants to penetrate the English market. “We already have Super League and there’s hardly a [Watch NRL] subscription sold in England,” he said. “So we’re going to attack that market as well.”

Britain has its own national competition in rugby league, though it is generally considered the third most popular version of football after rugby union and the dominant soccer code.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Copa said:

Also mentioned here:

V’landys said that there were only a similar number of Watch NRL subscribers in Britain so that was another market with potential for the NRL.

With no additional costs, each new NRL Watch subscription is profit for the game.

“We already have Super League so you've got a ready-made market and again there’s hardly a subscription sold in England,” he said.

“We are going to attack that market as well and every dollar, because from an accounting point of view, it's all addition. There's no expense.

“We've already paid the players, we've already paid for the production, we've already paid for everything so it's a matter of whatever revenue you get, you get it clear.

"It also gives us, in my view, a real niche when we go to do the next broadcasting rights because not only do you have the domestic, which is really not that big a market, but you're gonna have international, which will be a much bigger market." 

Edited by jim_57

Wouldn’t be surprised to see them try an NRL game in England as their next attempt at games played outside of Australia/NZ.

NRL Premiers and one other NRL club come over, premiers play the WCC, other club plays another SL club that weekend. Following week (same weekend as vegas) have an NRL/Super League double header.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see them try an NRL game in England as their next attempt at games played outside of Australia/NZ.

NRL Premiers and one other NRL club come over, premiers play the WCC, other club plays another SL club that weekend. Following week (same weekend as vegas) have an NRL/Super League double header.

I really like the idea. But Timezones are going to make it difficult. Either going to have to play it at 10am UK time to suit Australian TV (8pm). Or play it at 7:30pm UK time and it be on at 5:30am in Australia.

Actually probably a good place to ask, do you think a 10am NRL game into a 12pm Super League game would do alright? 

Edited by nko11