Will 2024 be the best NRL season ever?

58 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Lets kick the NRL while its having a boom time...and I can tell you after the Super League ###### the NRL has been doing very well since 2002 to present and long may it continue unlike the newer yet dead Super Rugby.

Fair comment. The NRL is in a boom at the moment. There is a lot to be positive about. More than not. Maybe I could have been a bit more positive in my delivery around Newcastle’s figures. Let’s just say then that I think they have a great opportunity to drastically increase that membership number.

I will add too, membership numbers are all a little bit of smoke and mirrors. There are all sorts of memberships varying from club to club, from single game memberships to full season. Kids memberships to pets.

So if Newcastle have predominantly full season members in that figure, then that is a pretty good result.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 2

On 14/03/2024 at 13:06, Anita Bath said:

Agree…A national RL needs teams in more than 3 of the six states. The national basketball league has teams in all 6 states as does sheffield shield cricket. AFL will be truly national once Tasmania has a team in 2027. 

Currently the NRL has a M62 corridor feel about it…doesnt venture too far from the east coast

The NRL has more states covered as a percentage than the NFL. Nobody says anything about the NFL not being national. A classic poor argument.

new rise.jpg

16 hours ago, Dunbar said:

7 out of the 10 published 2024 figures down on 2023.  Is this worrying, I don't know enough about the ecosystem?

Membership are now essentially a useless metric. The new Tasmanian AFL team has had $15 "memberships" for a week and have 150k members. It's now the biggest club in the AFL.

new rise.jpg

2 minutes ago, Pulga said:

The NRL has more states covered as a percentage than the NFL. Nobody says anything about the NFL not being national. A classic poor argument.

NFL Coast to Coast, North to south.

If you live in Perth the nearest NRL team is 3500kms away

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Wow!!! That is absolutely amazing work. Where can I buy tickets to their World Cup????

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Australian geography and demographics makes that basically irrelevant.

new rise.jpg

5 hours ago, going for the corner said:

Perth, NZ2 and another south east Queensland team should be teams 18,19 and 20.

PNG is a fantasy while there are much more worthy bids other than the likes of Adelaide, Melbourne2 or cairns etc.

How about a 2nd PNG QCup team? I wouldn't be against it. 

NZ2 needs to happen basically now.

• Like 2

new rise.jpg

1 hour ago, going for the corner said:

Definitely based in Lae.

both teams should be running u17’s,u19’s and u21’s age grade sides in the Queensland competitions as well.

And how will QRL teams afford two trips to PNG per season (and possibly more depending on play offs). 

19 hours ago, Pulga said:

It’s a bit different when there are 50 states to accomodate. The NFL have 1.4 teams per state represented and are spread pretty well across the breadth of the country. The NRL on the other hand has 4 of 7 states/territories represented by 16 teams at 4 teams per state.

Australia’s 4th and 5th most populous cities are not represented in the NRL.

53 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

The NRL on the other hand has 4 of 7 states/territories represented by 16 teams at 4 teams per state.

I think you missed someone.. 😋

Edited by Copa

3 hours ago, Copa said:

I think you missed someone.. 😋

I'm guessing NZ Warriors were left out of the comparison because they aren't based in Australia.

Edited by Barley Mow

33 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I'm guessing NZ Warriors were left out of the comparison because they aren't based in Australia.

Nope. Australia has 6 states and 3 mainland territories (although one of those territories only has a population of a few hundred people)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Copa said:

Nope. Australia has 6 states and 3 mainland territories (although one of those territories only has a population of a few hundred people)

Ah, yeah, forgot the inbreds 😂 

On 18/03/2024 at 12:16, EggFace said:

Just read on another forum that Roosters v Souths derby tickets are slow....how's that.

I stand incorrect 😉

Edited by EggFace

13 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

It’s a bit different when there are 50 states to accomodate. The NFL have 1.4 teams per state represented and are spread pretty well across the breadth of the country. The NRL on the other hand has 4 of 7 states/territories represented by 16 teams at 4 teams per state.

Australia’s 4th and 5th most populous cities are not represented in the NRL.

4 states covered? NSW, QLD, Victoria………Canberra is not a state…its a bus stop between Melbourne and Sydney. Tassie, Adelaide and WA not covered and neither is Northern Territory. So teams in only half the states and half the territories. Most northerly team is Cowboys, most westerly team is Melbourne. So the professional game covers about 20% of the country.

Australia has a regionalism in its sporting codes that is almost unprecedented anywhere else. Sure, in the USA you have regions where ice hockey or basketball are more popular, but ultimately America Football is the most popular sport everywhere and people are aware of the others. Australia is very odd that a sport can be completely dominant in one major center and then almost non-existent in another city only a few hours away by plane.

32 minutes ago, eal said:

Australia has a regionalism in its sporting codes that is almost unprecedented anywhere else. Sure, in the USA you have regions where ice hockey or basketball are more popular, but ultimately America Football is the most popular sport everywhere and people are aware of the others. Australia is very odd that a sport can be completely dominant in one major center and then almost non-existent in another city only a few hours away by plane.

RL in Australia is fortunate to be the #1 code in 2 of the 3 biggest cities in Australia as well as having a foothold in other large settlements like Newcastle, Canberra and the Gold Coast etc.

4 minutes ago, going for the corner said:

20,354 at CommBank stadium.

bit disappointing imo but I guess manly fans don’t travel in large numbers.

Hardly an excuse though, Parra 30 000 members or something, Sunday arvo vs Manly, they should have filled that place themselves.

• Like 3