Early season issues

Amongst all the furore, teeth gnashing and general bed wetting over cards and bans etc, there's one issue that's really getting on my nerves.

I've watched 1 game live and 3 on the TV so far and in every game there have been multiple instances of players, arms flailing and running in whenever there's a misdemeanor or a bad tackle.

It looks like a premier league game, it's embarrassing and pathetic, let the officials deal with it, as they normally do, do we really need 12 players from one side rushing in to protest?

That should be another thing that should be clamped down on, as well as the pathetic head patting and hair rubbing.

Sort it out.

• Like 1

Since I've been a season ticket holder at a football club over the last couple of years this kind of behaviour has completely stopped bothering me. It used to annoy me but when you see it live and can hear what the players are saying to the ref and see clearly what they are reacting to it all just shows how much the players care about the game and how passionate they are about it. They're only running in and appealing because of the passion pumping through their veins. Not to mention the adrenaline as well. 

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Since I've been a season ticket holder at a football club over the last couple of years this kind of behaviour has completely stopped bothering me. It used to annoy me but when you see it live and can hear what the players are saying to the ref and see clearly what they are reacting to it all just shows how much the players care about the game and how passionate they are about it. They're only running in and appealing because of the passion pumping through their veins. Not to mention the adrenaline as well. 

They're also doing it to try and gain an advantage, influence the referee and get an opponent penalised.

Nothing sporting about it.

I've watched non league football for years and it's only the last few years it's crept in, the whole team and staff appealing for everything, it's like the slip cordon in cricket.

Edited by meast
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, meast said:

it's like the slip cordon in cricket.

Does it bother you in cricket?

Have to say, showing it's entirely subjective, that it appears to have gone down a lot in non league football (many of the games I see have a sin bin option now) and I hadn't really noticed it being a bigger thing happening this year in Super League.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It doesn't bother me tbh. The one that bothers me on a similar theme is players approachibg the ref as he is already calling for the VR. He has to tell them off like naughty school kids every time when they are already sending it upstairs. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It doesn't bother me tbh. The one that bothers me on a similar theme is players approachibg the ref as he is already calling for the VR. He has to tell them off like naughty school kids every time when they are already sending it upstairs. 

That always strikes me as a pointless thing to do as the VR looks at everything when its referred upstairs.

• Like 1

Just now, Whippet13 said:

That always strikes me as a pointless thing to do as the VR looks at everything when its referred upstairs.

That's what frustrates me most. Appealing hihh tackles etc. I can see the point of. 

41 minutes ago, meast said:

They're also doing it to try and gain an advantage, influence the referee and get an opponent penalised.

Nothing sporting about it.

I've watched non league football for years and it's only the last few years it's crept in, the whole team and staff appealing for everything, it's like the slip cordon in cricket.

Look, if the Bev Town manager wants to scream swear words at the ref from the sideline cos he doesn't agree with any decision the officials make then he has my blessing cos it makes us fans laugh! 😂

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Does it bother you in cricket?

Have to say, showing it's entirely subjective, that it appears to have gone down a lot in non league football (many of the games I see have a sin bin option now) and I hadn't really noticed it being a bigger thing happening this year in Super League.

Not so much in cricket as , to me, it's always been a part of it, the difference being that the slip fielders don't all run up to the umpires and opposition waving their arms about like they've been electrocuted.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

55 minutes ago, Dave T said:

That's what frustrates me most. Appealing hihh tackles etc. I can see the point of. 

Exactly, the officials have seen it and are dealing with it, it doesn't need 12 others running in yelling telling the ref what's just happened.

That's my frustration.

44 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Look, if the Bev Town manager wants to scream swear words at the ref from the sideline cos he doesn't agree with any decision the officials make then he has my blessing cos it makes us fans laugh! 😂

I accept it's part of the game but it becomes tedious.

Maybe the Bev town manager should set a good example for his players and the supporters? 

🙂

Yeh it’s a bit tedious but as said it’s part of sport nowadays you just accept . Makes me smile when cricketers appeal uproariously then when the umpire says no they shake their head , don’t review it and just get on with it ! 

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Nah, no problem of setting an example, us fans are just as bad and we all love Dave! 😁

I did see a magnificent working of the assistant referee at Little Common last week.

In the first half, the opposition bench kept loudly exclaiming to each other that you never see foul throws called - and, oh look, there goes another. None of them were foul throws but it was a bit they'd clearly practiced.

The lino clearly didn't want to be influenced.

And yet, same lino in the second half called two foul throws that were, at best, borderline. No way he would have done that without the voice in his head telling him to watch out for it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I definitely think the green card being applied more will help alleviate this.

Players definitely know that if they stay down they are more likely to get a review that results in at least a penalty their way.

Its a cultural issue that refs can't solve alone.

Edited by Tommygilf
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I definitely think the green card being applied more will help alleviate this.

Players definitely know that if they stay down they are more likely to get a review that results in at least a penalty their way.

Its a cultural issue that refs can't solve alone.

And tbh, it's something that we first saw here in the 2013 World Cup. It was noticeable then. 

A problem is, when players stay down, they have generally been hit in the face, and I'm not gonna tell someone they are faking it when a 16stone player has hit them at pace. 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

And tbh, it's something that we first saw here in the 2013 World Cup. It was noticeable then. 

A problem is, when players stay down, they have generally been hit in the face, and I'm not gonna tell someone they are faking it when a 16stone player has hit them at pace. 

Your last point is pertinent, no ref is going to do that either which is what players play on so to speak.

31 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I did see a magnificent working of the assistant referee at Little Common last week.

In the first half, the opposition bench kept loudly exclaiming to each other that you never see foul throws called - and, oh look, there goes another. None of them were foul throws but it was a bit they'd clearly practiced.

The lino clearly didn't want to be influenced.

And yet, same lino in the second half called two foul throws that were, at best, borderline. No way he would have done that without the voice in his head telling him to watch out for it.

Saints fans at Knowsley Road were masters of the forward shout from the popular stand as I remember 😉

Edited by Spidey
  • Haha 1