Vegas Again/2025 and WCC

4 minutes ago, Jonty58 said:

They own the ground though.

12,000 capacity isn’t too bad for a small suburban Club.

It is indeed good that the sharks own their ground but it is ugly to look at and at 12k I just don’t think it’s big enough for today’s NRL standards what with other clubs playing at much bigger capacity’s and some even building state of the art modern 21st century stadiums.

btw I believe the capacity of shark park has been raised to 13.5k which is still way to small by today’s NRL standards.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, going for the corner said:

It is indeed good that the sharks own their ground but it is ugly to look at and at 12k I just don’t think it’s big enough for today’s NRL standards what with other clubs playing at much bigger capacity’s and some even building state of the art modern 21st century stadiums.

btw I believe the capacity of shark park has been raised to 13.5k which is still way to small by today’s NRL standards.

I used to love seeing the Sharks games on TV, with the Seaview in the background. It's now lost that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, going for the corner said:

As a club the sharks off-field credentials are really quite impressive with their property portfolio i.e apartments, retail and hotel etc.

I think I’m right in believing that the sharks own a golf course as well?

it’s just a shame that their stadium is a dump and restricted capacity wise.

I always thought it was weird they didn't build in some more stadium upgrades with the huge property development. I know they've upgraded the Leagues Club on the one side, but they could have done so much more. Could have got a lovely 15-20k boutique ground out of it, but I guess they prioritised the money. When you see the size of the build, you'll see what I mean...

Ironic now, because the last two generations of NRL TV deals have ensured their day-to-day financial viability, so they definitely could have done it with hindsight but probably thought they needed to keep the working capital for the team. Timing is everything eh.   

Artists impression of the current Shark Park development

Edited by Worzel
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Jonty58 said:

It's no where near enough for a NRL competition averaging around 20k. Anyhow that is just the capacity while the stadium redevelopment is ongoing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RayCee said:

I thought about how the Sharks received that generous donation, it’s a shame he wasn't from Salford. That would be a huge help to them in their situation. Is Sir James Ratcliffe by any chance from the Salford area? 

PS. Not picking on Salford but a windfall would be nice for them.

Hull born but educated in Beverley.

14 hours ago, RayCee said:

I thought about how the Sharks received that generous donation, it’s a shame he wasn't from Salford. That would be a huge help to them in their situation. Is Sir James Ratcliffe by any chance from the Salford area? 

PS. Not picking on Salford but a windfall would be nice for them.

Isn't the guy who owns Betfred born in Salford.  Fred done?

1 hour ago, going for the corner said:

Isn't the guy who owns Betfred born in Salford.  Fred done?

I think so, but he's decided to support the sport as a whole, rather than one club. Puts a ridiculous amount of money in each year, in the absence of many other sponsors. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Worzel said:

I always thought it was weird they didn't build in some more stadium upgrades with the huge property development. I know they've upgraded the Leagues Club on the one side, but they could have done so much more. Could have got a lovely 15-20k boutique ground out of it, but I guess they prioritised the money. When you see the size of the build, you'll see what I mean...

Ironic now, because the last two generations of NRL TV deals have ensured their day-to-day financial viability, so they definitely could have done it with hindsight but probably thought they needed to keep the working capital for the team. Timing is everything eh.   

Artists impression of the current Shark Park development

Is there any other actual stadium redevelopment planned for shark park other than the leagues club grandstand?

2 minutes ago, Worzel said:

I think so, but he's decided to support the sport as a whole, rather than one club. Puts a ridiculous amount of money in each year, in the absence of many other sponsors. 

He’s does that but I would have thought success on the pitch would be much more attainable and cheaper owning a RL club like Salford compared to owning a football club.

or maybe he’s got more sense.

7 minutes ago, going for the corner said:

Is there any other actual stadium redevelopment planned for shark park other than the leagues club grandstand?

No, they were expecting the NSW Govt. to stump up a load of money to do something later, rather than build something into the property development plan and take control of their own destiny. As might have been predicted, that then fell through about 18 months ago...

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/7817730/speakman-supports-shark-park-decision/

Personally I like Shark Park, but it's a bit rustic and with maybe $15m they could have tidied it up, rather than expect some sort of Government miracle windfall. 

2 minutes ago, Worzel said:

No, they were expecting the NSW Govt. to stump up a load of money to do something later, rather than build something into the property development plan and take control of their own destiny. As might have been predicted, that then fell through about 18 months ago...

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/7817730/speakman-supports-shark-park-decision/

Personally I like Shark Park, but it's a bit rustic and with maybe $15m they could have tidied it up, rather than expect some sort of Government miracle windfall. 

I like it too along with the north Sydney oval but these sub 15k stadiums just aren’t viable in today’s NRL unfortunately.

This might not sit well with sharks fans but they should maybe look at taking a few home games away from shark park to maybe NZ, Adelaide or Perth etc.

maybe even take a few Sydney games to the new alliance stadium as well.

On 11/03/2024 at 00:25, Jonty58 said:

Within a year Catalans will expand home ground capacity from 11,000 to 14,000. They have only been playing in Super League for 18 years. All seats will have great views.

Cronulla have been in the top level professional level  (NSWRL and NRL) for 57 years. They have only 12,000 capacity and not all have great views.

Cronulla are behind the times.

1 hour ago, Bradman Better said:

Within a year Catalans will expand home ground capacity from 11,000 to 14,000. They have only been playing in Super League for 18 years. All seats will have great views.

Cronulla have been in the top level professional level  (NSWRL and NRL) for 57 years. They have only 12,000 capacity and not all have great views.

I'm pretty sure it's reduced capacity though, while construction is ongoing?

Surely they wouldn't be allowed to be in the NRL with a 12k stadium??

@Sports Prophet didn't you say you were a sharkies fan? What's the story with the stadium capacity after development is finished. I did search online, but couldn't find anything definite. Also, I'm lazy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stookie said:

I'm pretty sure it's reduced capacity though, while construction is ongoing?

Surely they wouldn't be allowed to be in the NRL with a 12k stadium??

@Sports Prophet didn't you say you were a sharkies fan? What's the story with the stadium capacity after development is finished. I did search online, but couldn't find anything definite. Also, I'm lazy.

I’ve asked around elsewhere and searched the internet and I’ve never got a clear answer on what the plan is or if there is one regarding the stadium.

I’m certainly no construction expert but it looks like they’ve boxed themselves in so not sure how much it could realistically get to with upgrades. Maybe 18-20k at best?

The NRL have purchased a hotel next door and V’landys has said he wants to help them get funding for an upgrade so wait and see I guess.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Bradman Better said:

A very poor example. They may be behind the times now, but for the majority of their existence, the stadium has been adequate. So to talk about 57 years in the manner you have is disingenuous, as is the 12,000 capacity comment when it is reduced due to the development.

I do concede, it is a relic and I give it ten years before the club secures an upgrade or moves to a new purpose built stadium in the Shire or simply play out of the SFS. The latter would be a disaster in my opinion.

Edited by Sports Prophet

Plenty of Sharkie posts and questions.

1. Opportunity to build or significantly refurbish Shark Park throughout the development was only possible with funding from NSW government or some other benefactor willing to throw in hundreds of millions. It wasn’t forthcoming and the club had to proceed to secure their financial future. The development came not with a new stadium but thousands of new residents and a brand spanking new leagues club facility to bring in more income than a new stadium ever would. Funds simply were not available to refurb the stadium and the developers were not going to just throw another $200m into a new stadium. The stadium upgrade will be a future objective. You may be right @Worzel where $15m on the ground wouldn’t go astray, but it would simply be lipstick on a pig. Not that $15m just magically appears anyway.

2. I understand the capacity will stretch back out to 17-18k when the current development is completed. Satisfactory for a local suburban club, but desperately needing an improvement. I give the club ten years at absolute most to get itself into a position to upgrade Shark Park or the club will be moving to a new facility elsewhere in the Shire or the SFS. I hope they can remain in Woolooware. I posted a link elsewhere about Geelong AFL soon to complete over 20yrs worth of upgrades to become a 40,000 seater stadium. The largest one club stadium in the country. The Sharks will not have space to match, but there are lots of similarities between Cronulla and Geelong from a geographic perspective in their respective zones. The Sharks are in one of Sydney’s fastest improving areas of affluence and to retain a fortnightly presence in the Shire is vital. That the NRL purchased the hotel in the development to be leased out to Quest, demonstrates the NRL’s long term vision for the Sharks, Cronulla and the whole Sutherland Shire.

3. The club does have a strong property portfolio including a golf course, a blue chip commercial facility in town centre and I understand they own a few of the apartments.

4. The club gave away strata fee rights from the remaining commercial precinct for a large cash injection a couple of years ago. Some may see this as short sighted, but the club instead invested this income into the new property purchases to make income now, rather than wait for the development to finish. The golf club at Kareela for example has proven to be a huge financial win for the club, giving them not just a valuable asset, but drastically improved its commercial performance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/03/2024 at 15:58, Dave T said:

I used to love seeing the Sharks games on TV, with the Seaview in the background. It's now lost that. 

Still love that view for games in Wollongong.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

For what it’s worth, my vision for the Sharks in 20 years (I think it’s realistic, others may not) is to be a club which represents one of Sydney’s most parochial (done) and affluent (getting there) areas, based in a region which is still one of Australia’s biggest for junior sports participation and registrations (current). The club will be playing out of a boutique, fully seated 25k stadium with over 65,000 members and fixtures consistently above 90% capacity.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, jim_57 said:

I’m certainly no construction expert but it looks like they’ve boxed themselves in so not sure how much it could realistically get to with upgrades. Maybe 18-20k at best?

The way the Leagues club is shaping, Shark Park could end up a bit like Wilderspool.

On 11/03/2024 at 07:58, Dave T said:

Just remind me. What was the equivalent view at your old gaff?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The way the Leagues club is shaping, Shark Park could end up a bit like Wilderspool.

Just remind me. What was the equivalent view at your old gaff?

Rolling hills of leafy Cheshire, why? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Still love that view for games in Wollongong.

And at a push at Kograh and the Drone view from Manly's ground.

Central Coast another nice ground by the water just not used much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1