NRL Round 1 Match Thread Round - Part 2

Posted (edited)

1.nrl-warriors-sharks.jpg

New Zealand Warriors and Cronulla Sharks will both fancy their chances of making the top eight once again this season but surely it is the hosts that should be able to get 2024 off to the better start?  

So then at home and coming off a superb 2023, the 'Wahs' are comfortable favourites to start strong.  The Warriors definitely the better of the two in their trial games, especially with their second-week win against a strong Dolphins side.

Warriors to win then?

Edited by Graham

Posted (edited)

2.nrl-storm-panthers.jpg

Melbourne Storm will hope to avenge their preliminary final loss as they take on Penrith Panthers. The visitors come into this as defending premiers having won a third consecutive title last time around. Is their roster looking as strong in 2024 though?

Storm will be eager to put in a big performance in this opening match up and if Cameron Munster is able to prove his fitness they'll be in with a chance.

A close one to call in Melbourne.

Our forum tipsters are split on this one: 

7 tip Panthers, 6 Tips Storm.

Edited by Graham

38 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Very good and polished performance by the Raiders . 

Well, eventually. Both sides were pretty sloppy for a large part of the first half.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Far too many mistakes from the Knights,Raiders certainly looked up for the game

Warriors 12:16 Sharks. Disappointed by the hosts' performance. I hope they aren't backsliding after a great 2023.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Storm v Panthers, as the visitors try to break Melbourne's amazing Round 1 winning streak.

Some Chateau Papenhuyzen claret has already been uncorked.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Some rugby union style ###### polishing at the end as Cleary put in an aimless kick easily gathered to end the half. Something like "it would have been unplayable". If he'd not hoofed it into the in goal area maybe.

A high intensity game that.

In what could be thought the match of the round Storm rightly came out on top.

Kami also bombed a try losing the ball trying to swap hands to ground it over the line.

Early days, but both teams will be up where it counts by the end of the season.

No Munster, but the side had plenty of other quality players to match the Penrith stars.

I missed both games and just watched the replays. I completely forgot about the Warriors game and I thought the commentator made a mistake talking about the Storm game as game 5 of round 1. A lot of the big names looked good in patches and, as always, I never take Round 1 too seriously. 

If I took Round 1 seriously I would be pointing out that Wests are already up to 9th position in their first week.

Fantabulous Sharks defensive performance . They could have been swamped early but stuck in , hit back then repelled everything thrown at them.  Second game was very very scrappy tbh but Storm won’t mind . Penrith looked very blunt . I’m reminded that two things that bug me - players staying down to get the VR involved , even more so when the VR plays ball for them. We’re now getting that here .And set restarts , often totally cynical and deliberate  , on first tackle . What punishment that is I don’t know 

Edited by DavidM

What a stoush between the Storm and the Panthers. Proof positive that a high quality game of Rugby League does not have to be a try-fest. Massive for the Storm who were without their most influential player in Cameron Munster. Superb defence on display.

The first five results go to prove what I have said in the past about the NRL being a week by week league and there much more to come.

On a personal note, having tipped the Storm it saves me from becoming what is known as The Scotsman - Owen Fife  - 😉

• Like 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• Graham changed the title to NRL Match Thread Round - Part 2

Storm certainly played not to lose while the Panthers were probably still off the pace after all the travel, but the match was a good arm wrestle and both Clubs will take positives from the game.

Next 7-8 rounds will show how the season will be shaping up regards form for probable top 4 and possible spoonists

If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

The Dragons are looking lively.

Ralph Waldo Emerson